Author Topic: window polishing......... how ?  (Read 3408 times)

Offline jimbo

• GTI forum regular
window polishing......... how ?
« on: 05 May 2004, 12:53 »
ello peeps  ;D

I have some small scratches in my tinted windows and was wondering if any body knew how to polish them out ?
The scratches arnt very deep just noticable when the light hits them at the right angle.
I am sure I have seen some thing for just such an application but I cant remember where.

All help gratfuly received :)

aye up me duck!

Offline davidhawkins_78

• I live here
  • Valver Bad Boy
Re:window polishing......... how ?
« Reply #1 on: 05 May 2004, 15:02 »
If you come across something let us all know !!!

Tints are some sort of film usually, so u need to find someway to fill them I guess - dam refracting light !

'89 Monza Blue Valver
to quote a VW engineer, "the Mk1 was the prototype, the Mk2, the real thing!"

Offline jimbo

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 06 May 2004, 08:45 »
i am still looking around but when i do find some thing i will definitly post it on here for all you good chaps ;D

me windows arn't film tinted they are genuine VW tinted windows. The have a light green tint to them. I picked them up from a scrappy at the weekend and want to polish them up before I put them in the chariot.

aye up me duck!

Offline lairy_1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 May 2004, 06:44 »
Wire wool.

I'm not joking.

I used it on my windscreen after a recommendation from a friend. Obviously don't press on much, just keep going over the same areas a lot.

1983 Mk1 G60
1990 Passat VR6

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2004, 08:21 »
The only thing that should be able to scratch glass, is a diamond. So in theory, the wire wool trick should work. I have used razor blades in the past, and just scrapped the muck and filth from the windows.
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2004, 19:30 »
Hmmmmmmmmm, so what on earth caused the million deep scratches on my little green cab screen.  Can hardly see out of it in the dark when a cars coming in the opposite direction.  I looks like someone's cleaned the whoe screen with something they shouldnt have.  Might try this wire wool trick.  Bit scary tho.

Offline john_wintle

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 May 2004, 21:13 »
Try some Duraglit metal polish that comes on a pad, that is known to work on scratched computer screens.....Think if the scratches are on the outside, more than likely, then you should be fine.

Also remove all the crap etc from the outside of the windscreen with a Paint rubber (clay bar).

john
John Wintle, 1273,
Sussex Regional Host, ClubGTI
www.clubgti-sussex.co.uk

Swissol Reseller for VW
swissol.sales@tesco.net

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2004, 12:58 »
Try some Duraglit metal polish that comes on a pad, that is known to work on scratched computer screens.....Think if the scratches are on the outside, more than likely, then you should be fine.

Also remove all the crap etc from the outside of the windscreen with a Paint rubber (clay bar).

john

ill have to give it a try, dont fancy replacing 2 bits of glass  :-\