Author Topic: Wind deflectors  (Read 3587 times)

Offline iantgtd

• Just got here
Wind deflectors
« on: 15 July 2019, 17:51 »
hopefully a simple one to answer? Heko deflectors for 5 door golf Mk 7.5, the rear ones seem to be fitted above the opening window in some pics but in other pics they extend over the fixed quarter light. Even their own webpage shows both so what did people get in the box?
2019 GTD Blueline DSG Pure White (when clean)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Wind deflectors
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2019, 14:53 »
Welcome Ian.

Unfortunately I can’t answer that question and can never fathom why people fit butt ugly wind deflectors to a car that has climate control.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2019, 15:13 »
I have to side with Exonian on this one, never open the windows myself, always use the climate control/air con and leave windows shut.  as a result, I stay cool, have no wind noise and car looks much nicer because I have no need for wind deflectors.  But some people like to have them fitted to their cars my late father included. 

Have you looked at all google images closely to see if any of the pics show you how others have fitted them?   

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2019, 17:16 »
Welcome Ian.

Unfortunately I can’t answer that question and can never fathom why people fit butt ugly wind deflectors to a car that has climate control.

Each to their own. I find I can't have the climate control on for long periods as I find it really dries my contact lenses out! Certainly sometime it is good though. But as long as I'm given windows that open, I'm using them!!

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 17 July 2019, 17:23 »
I love having the windows open, yes the climate control is very good but I just like the feeling of being more out in the world rather than tucked up in my comfy little sealed box. I have thought about getting wind deflectors as I get quite a bit of buffeting, presumably being a 3 door, but haven't ever got around to it. Not sure I like the look anyway. Reminds me of pipes and slippers with a nice cardi. I'd like to think I haven't quite reached that point in my life yet...

Sorry OP, completely useless and pointless post :sad:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2019, 08:43 »
Never actually thought about wind deflectors for mine, although I don't like the look of them on the golf (with the nearly flush windows) I always toyed with the idea of them on my previous Astra H VXR as the windows were set back more and the deflectors sat flush with the window surround - I just don't think they work aesthetically with flush windows.

That said, I can see the point of them from a ventilation perspective.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 19 July 2019, 09:59 »
New member joins and asks a straightforward question. New member receives some snide unwelcoming comments about their potential choices. New member seemingly disappears.

Keep it classy lads, keep it classy.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 19 July 2019, 10:09 by kmpowell »
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 19 July 2019, 13:35 »
New member joins and asks a straightforward question. New member receives some snide unwelcoming comments about their potential choices. New member seemingly disappears.

New member has a name and it’s discourteous not to use it  :tongue:

Hopefully Ian will have gleaned information on other aspects of his car from this forum and he’s not exactly been overwhelmed with information from owners of said deflectors. He can see we are a friendly bunch by and large from thousands of other threads but it’s a forum and people will have opinions.

I can’t see them overcoming the horrendous drumming you get when opening rear windows on the move in a Golf either.

Personally I think they ruin the lines of the car, others will think they look good or see the practical benefits(?) above the aesthetics.

Stick around iangtd and hopefully someone will be able to answer your question.
Failing that, if these deflectors are of a type sold as OE accessories it would be possible to go into a parts department and view some I’d hope.
There’s also golfmk7.com forum that has many more overseas members who are perhaps more likely to have these deflectors fitted.

Free bumps to keep the thread visible anyway...
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #8 on: 19 July 2019, 13:56 »
It used to be a thing on cars before AC definitely.

Its also quite useful if you (still) smoke.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 19 July 2019, 15:20 »

I don't understand this, no-one has made any snide comments that I can see, certainly not in my understanding of the word. Fair enough the OP hasn't as yet had an answer to his query but that's hardly unusual on a forum...
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.