Author Topic: Cannock Chase Deer  (Read 7351 times)

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
Cannock Chase Deer
« on: 04 May 2014, 22:41 »
A couple of weeks ago we got up ridiculously early to drive to Cannock Chase in the hopes of seeing some deer. We weren't disappointed!

Just near a place called Freda's Grace, a dalmatian that was an army mascot, we walked around and eventually found this beautiful herd of deer!

Cannock Chase Deer by Raven Photography by Jenna Goodwin, on Flickr

http://ravenphotographyuk.wordpress.com/2014/05/04/cannock-chase-deer/
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk

Offline Ridg

• I live here
  • TDI - Soot Happens!
Re: Cannock Chase Deer
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2014, 13:22 »
not sure if it's down to PP or a defective lens but IMO the centre of the image is too bright or the vignetting effect is too strong.

Looks like a great morning seeing the deer but the IQ is very poor IMO

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 May 2014, 13:51 »
not sure if it's down to PP or a defective lens but IMO the centre of the image is too bright or the vignetting effect is too strong.

Looks like a great morning seeing the deer but the IQ is very poor IMO

I wouldn't say the IQ is *very* poor, but it could definitely be better.

The first and fourth photos have a different, more yellow colour tint to the 2nd and 3rd, which are slightly more greeny.
The centre of each image is really lacking punch, they need more contrast/clarity particularly to make the deer stand out against the background. I think that the fact that the image is darker and more contrasty around the edges just accentuates the lack of contrast in the centre.

If the original image is ok (ie it's not a problem with the lens), I would turn down the vignette and increase the contrast and clarity a bit at a time until it looks sharper.
Try that out and then compare with these versions to see which looks better and which you prefer.

That said, as photographer and creator of the image, it's up to you how you want it to look.

Offline T_J_G

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2014, 19:33 »
Compositionally they do nothing for me, first one head is covering another's head. Second the deers arse detracts from anything else being the lightest point, third is a group of deep with no real focal point. Deer aren't the easiest thing to shoot, you have to have a lot of patience.

Also the quality doesn't look great, what were they shot on?

Offline Sam

• I live here
  • Sam I am
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2014, 03:43 »
The last shot has great composition! But i agree, something funky is on with your camera. We can only say it 'cause we know how good your shots usually are raven  :smiley:

The entire world is a Money Pit, you just have to pick yours.

Offline TheRaven

• I live here
  • "I am female, I think the boobs are a giveaway..."
« Reply #5 on: 12 July 2014, 11:42 »
To be honest they were taken on a Sigma 70-300 at the maximum 300 so the IQ is pretty bad tbh, I had about 60 seconds to shoot before they darted, so yes, composition isn't what I would have hoped but the only way is up!
Professional Freelance Equestrian Photographer

www.ravenphotography.co.uk
www.ravenphotography.uk