Author Topic: Seanl's Raddo KR problem child!  (Read 31950 times)

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: Seanl's Raddo KR problem child!
« Reply #200 on: 13 May 2012, 23:06 »
Been up to the father-in-laws in Banbury this w.end. So that was a trip to Gosport (171 miles each way) on Thursday, and 198 miles each way to Banbury and she never missed a beat!  :smug:

Well apart from the stop to top up the water once each way as I have a small leak..................

And the major scrubbage this w.end as we also had the sister in law and her husband in the back!

Pretty happy though, I actually already have the replacement hose thats causing the leak where its split very slightly where the hose clip is. Will get the coolant and a GENUINE thermostat tomorrow cos the 3rd pattern one has gone in 6 months! Big order of service parts next month too - Cambelt, waterpump, oil, filters, gear oil, etc........ as its due in about 2k miles.  :rolleyes:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #201 on: 31 May 2012, 18:03 »
Did most of the servicing last w.end, got a little more this w.end after sorting the garden out first! :rolleyes:

I didn't get many pics, but first off was replacement of the water hose that I thought was causing the small leak I had. Turns out this was coupled with a leaky waterpump bearing too! Luckily I'd budgeted for it anyway! Swapped all that out along with genuine stat, housing and 'o' seal and I was much lighter in the pocket department!

Whilst it was off I painted up the bracket as it looked a little worse for wear!

Old water pump

Pulleys came off without too much trouble, and were treated to a coat of gloss black.  :cool:

On the new pump

And back on but I didn't get a pic of it in place. I dropped the sump and cleaned out the pickup too. Wasn't massively bad, but had a few bits of plastic from one of the clips on the sump baffle though.

New gasket, oil, seal, and inspection of the oil pump which proved to be in perfect working order!  :cool:
I've also replace dizzy, rotor arm, dizzy seal as I've got a bit of a leak, and although it hasn't cured the leak, I think its cos one of the securing bolts had rounded off the housing!  :sick:
I took it off again today though, drilled out and re-threaded it with a slightly bigger bolt, and its nice and secure again now.  :smiley: Just have to give it a few days to see if any oil appears around the top of the GB. I need to sort the timing out now too though, as by doing all of this, I rubbed off the mark I'd put on the top of the dizzy housing lining it up!  :sad:, its roughly set and I cant hear any pinking when under load (I am deaf in one ear though!), so think I'm ok for a short while, but I have a timing belt kit ready to be fitted so will do it all at the same time when I get the bottle to tackle that!
Gear oil, and fuel filter this w.end, then she's good to go for a fair while!  :smiley:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline tdi_blu

• I live here
  • Golf Gti & T4 2.5 tdi
« Reply #202 on: 02 June 2012, 09:26 »
Them painted bits look really good gave me a few ideas  :wink: when I had mine all serviced the cost soon adds up but its piece of mind at the end of the day mine needs new disks and pads all round at some point so thats next one that gonna sting me  :cry: good updates though and the cars looking great  :wink:
Golf Gti

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #203 on: 02 June 2012, 12:08 »
Cheers Blu, yeah it just tidys things up a bit, and makes the whole bay look cleaner and fresher for longer.  :wink:

Offline gti gaz

• I live here
« Reply #204 on: 02 June 2012, 22:09 »
looking good dude keep up the good work  :grin:

Any one in cornwall lets sort more meets!!!!

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
« Reply #205 on: 02 June 2012, 22:59 »
I hope the missus knows about that bath mat been used as a spraying sheet?  :rolleyes:

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #206 on: 03 June 2012, 05:57 »
I hope the missus knows about that bath mat been used as a spraying sheet?  :rolleyes:

:grin:, we have an understanding that all old clothes/sheets/bath mats that were gonna go in the bin/charity shop, are now to be acquired by me as rags.  :wink:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #207 on: 03 June 2012, 09:02 »
You could replace some of the bolts and nuts.
The rust from them spreads on whatever is painted!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #208 on: 03 June 2012, 15:52 »
TBH, the lump is on 170k so I'm not fussed about making it look proper mint. I've kinda lost the passion for the whole modding thing for the moment, and the bodyworks a bit tired too. It would cost a fortune turning it into a decent motor, unless I decide on a rustoleum paint job (not sure until I've seen it with my own eyes) or I get a garage and decide to buy a compressor and give it a go myself. Otherwise I'm gonna run it for a little while, wait til the missus is driving again so I can take it off the road and pay it the attention it deserves with a transplant. Or trade it in for a VR6.  :evil: I paid very little for it so I'm kinda in credit a little if I sold it or break it. I just don't know yet, hence the reason I'm waffling on now............. :rolleyes:

Offline clipperjay

• I live here
« Reply #209 on: 03 June 2012, 16:18 »
Yeah I've lost interest again waiting for paint to go on But anything you do now before winter should help it looks in good nick last week saw a mate drop a VR6 into a corrado it went in quick, but he did have a donor from a MK3 sitting there rotting cost him 500 for the car in the end with 80K on the clock the car had rotted wings and floor hence running gear was spot on though I think the leather and body parts if sold covered his conversion.