Author Topic: hardmonkeys - mk3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v auto to 2.0 16v manual conversion  (Read 92879 times)

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
That's what I thought..least I know it'll be of a decent quality...id hope so anyway
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
Not forgotten this, just enjoying the roof down action  :laugh:
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
Took the Cabrio for tracking in Wednesday, into County Tyres in Weymouth, used these guys a,to over the last few years, so know they are genuine.

Anyway, they got it up in the air, and began to set up the tools, he looked a bit confused, so he got the manager over to look at it, came over to me and asked if the car had been in an accident....

I thought I'd made a cock up with something, so I told him what I had done with changing the engine,gearbox, suspension etc etc...he told me the wishbone on the N/S/F was an inch shorter than the O/S/F..which was the correct length....good old euro car parts!! I had noticed the wheel looked different, but thought it was because the tracking was miles out..

Can't take the wishbone back as its been on a year, so looking to get a new one, trying to avoid ECP now...any ideas on where to buy?

Hi all, just an update on the Cabrio, haven't driven it much over the last few weeks, as I've been waiting to get the wishbone sorted, finally cracked on this weekend,

Took the troublesome wishbone off, after I bought another one from ECP, a different brand this time, took the old one off, measured them up to see the difference, nothing...no difference! Now I'm annoyed and confused...and frustrated as I now have no idea where the adjustment is coming from, I checked with VW as thought they'd surely will have the correct part, they advised me that it's been superseded with..Jacksh!t, the nice bloke up there gave me a number for VW Heritage in Shoreham, W Sussex, but they can't get hold of them either..but in his experience, the only wishbones for the GTi he has come across is the 8v ones, (which I had on it in the first place) and the ones for the 16v and the VR6, which is the one I've got...

I put into ECP the model and engine of a VR6 to see what came up, and it was the same wishbone I had in the first place, grrrr!!!

So I put the original wishbone back on, and took it back to County Tyres...and explained, that's the only wishbone there is for a GTi 16v, he put it back on the ramp...and managed to track it up!

I think he was looking at the car as a normal model...not a GTi, which it is in all but model...despite me telling him it had Been converted...

Waste of a weekend!!!

But least now it's tracked, it doesn't feel great if I'm honest, so I will have another look underneath again over this weekend, just to be sure

'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
Had another look at the wishbone problem this weekend, asked about the forums, turns out the camber was out from when I changed the hubs, didn't realise they have so much adjustment. Anyway, using a spirit level I crudely corrected it and now it feels a lot better.

I'm looking to buy a camber adjustment tool from machine mart, as recommended by gasketface on here

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/040817066/?da=1&TC=GS-040817066&gclid=CPC2q9mIqs8CFWgo0wodpHEF7Q

So I can do it properly. I'm gonna need bigger toolbox at this rate!
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
Time to go away for the winter
« Reply #94 on: 23 October 2016, 16:50 »

The time has come to put the car away for the Winter!  :angry: its in a better position than when i put it away last year, as it was about 12-13mths ago the wiring loom burnt out.

Lots of jobs to do over the winter, some might get done...some might have to wait  :undecided:

Thats the beauty of a on-going working project

« Last Edit: 23 October 2016, 16:53 by hardmonkeys »
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
Look forward to when the updates begin again mate, will be good to see in the summer.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
I've not been able to help myself, I've been using it over the weekends for the last couple of weeks...lol

It struggles to start at the moment, well,  it so much start,  it starts fine, just a little lumpy while it warms up, but aside from that, it's great, still got to do the little jobs before it gets to spring/summer, hopefully they'll be done
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Good to hear. If use it all the time. Problem i have when the mk2 is insured i cant help but drive it and the passat or a4 just sits there

Offline th3_f15t

• I live here
I've not been able to help myself, I've been using it over the weekends for the last couple of weeks...lol

It struggles to start at the moment, well,  it so much start,  it starts fine, just a little lumpy while it warms up, but aside from that, it's great, still got to do the little jobs before it gets to spring/summer, hopefully they'll be done

I'm sure there's a guide or two out there to cure lumpy idle when cold, but it's a low priority at the moment I guess. Damn right you should use it, you built it...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline hardmonkeys

• I live here
Thanks. I had a drivers CPC course to do last week in Poole, (I'm in Weymouth) so I took it, expecting a few niggles, it was the furthest I'd took it since last summer, and it ran like a dream, after it'd warmed up lol, I even managed to get the roof down :-))

'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi