Author Topic: going rate for a spraying job  (Read 1342 times)

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
going rate for a spraying job
« on: 24 June 2011, 18:39 »
what should I expect to pay for having 2 new wings sprayed and fitted, and 4 or 5 small rust bubbles around the car sorted?

also what about sills? these will need doing eventually as well but might get it done at the same time if its cheap enough

Cheers
20vt conversion, sig pic coming soon!

Build thread http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=167291.0

Offline Seanl

• I live here
Re: going rate for a spraying job
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2011, 20:24 »
Usually about £100 per panel for wings, depends how big rust bubbles are/how deep into the metal its corroded. Probs looking about £350 give or take mate. Better off getting second hand panels in your colour tbh and fitting it all yourself, its all bolt on bolt off and very straightforward
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |

Offline Wayne

• Sir Postalot
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2011, 21:54 »
You are looking at a minimum of £300 for a proper job.

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2011, 22:45 »
I'll be getting 2nd hand panels but I want them to match properly, also dont fancy my chances on finding 2 wings in my colour that are also in good condition :P £300 isnt too bad I was thinking a lot more, the owner of the bodyshop is apparently friends with my Dad so may also get a bit of a discount :)

Offline pigbladder

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 26 June 2011, 16:04 »
i cant see you getting that for anywhere near 300

to get it nice the doors will need blending , then your 4 or 5 spots will end up needing nearly the whole car painting if you want it close to being right

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #5 on: 27 June 2011, 01:02 »
Have your sills properly assessed on a ramp, before making any decisions on cosmetic work, prices could easily escalate to well over 1k per side, and fit new OE wings to save yourself a lot of agro!

Thom

Offline Dan_GTi8v

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 June 2011, 10:12 »
I've decided against new wings now, decided before reading the new replys but they just make me against it even more lol :P

The work thats needed on the wings will be covered by the arch trim once there back on so I'm gonna give those a crack myself, originally I was against this as the rust goes all the way through and thought it would be beyond my skill level, but decided to see if I can save myself some money (and spend the money on a leather interior instead!)

If it goes well I'll try and tackle the rest on my own as well :) wings/arches are by far the worst part, other spots are just a little bubble starting to form on the drivers door, small bubble on the boot, and noticed recently under the rubber seal around the door/sill if you lift it up rust is starting to form there as well. Also just the usuall scratches, door dings, and bonnet stone chips

Havn't checked my sills under the GTi sill trim yet, though I'm not looking forward to what I may find!

Offline Seanl

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 28 June 2011, 17:43 »
I'd still go with used wings in the same colour as your car mate. Worth a look, and I bet for 2 new wings it will be far cheaper than getting everything needed to grind, sand, treat, fill, prime, paint and all that work in between, to get a temporary fix that may/may not come out the other end looking reasonable.  :undecided:
Classic Green Corrado VR6 Storm | Jetex Cat back | BMC CDA | VT mounts | Bilstein B12 | 288mm front brakes | Mk4 rear brakes | Goodridge braided hoses | BBS RX228s | Shortshifter | Lupo wipers | Uprated headlight loom | All red rears | Refreshed leather | Fresh paint |