Author Topic: ADAS recalibration.  (Read 2688 times)

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
ADAS recalibration.
« on: 09 January 2020, 20:57 »
When do the Advanced Driver Assistant Systems (ADAS) need recalibrating?
I need to get a small paint repair on the door, I think recalibration is only needed with a new windscreen, or front or rear car damage?
Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: ADAS recalibration.
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2020, 09:20 »
The main system they are talking about is the ACC radar. You'd only normally consider getting it re-calibrated after a big shunt front or rear.

If the front end, including the bumper itself is not damaged or twisted, I'd not bother - its expensive!

I remember the tow-bar company that I use telling me that vehicles with ACC radar need recalibrating if you fit a tow-bar... not quite sure why, but...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2020, 20:30 »
Thanks for the reply.
This is all new to me  :grin:
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS

Offline topher

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
  • fully functioning
« Reply #3 on: 12 January 2020, 00:12 »
for radar systems its basically any repair involving front bumper removal and/or adjustments to the rear toe. Camera systems (lane assist, high beam assist etc.) recalibrate after screen replacement and/or rear toe adjustment. I've just been through the training its not particularly complicated just the equipment is expensive.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 12 January 2020, 00:35 »
Thanks for the reply  :wink:

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2020, 09:48 »
for radar systems its basically any repair involving front bumper removal and/or adjustments to the rear toe. Camera systems (lane assist, high beam assist etc.) recalibrate after screen replacement and/or rear toe adjustment. I've just been through the training its not particularly complicated just the equipment is expensive.
no wonder vw moved the radar to behind the badge. Not just aesthetics but a means to extract more money from customers if a bumper needs to be removed?
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2020, 10:05 »
The badge sensor is a newer bosch type and I suspect needs to be installed higher for better coverage.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline hardmonkeys

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2020, 22:12 »
im a chipsaway franchisee, and some of our SMART repairs around parking sensors and radars, can affect the calibration, ill be honest out off 600 odd repairs, my customers had never had to get a recalibration done, but we advise that if it does need doing, contact and take it to your local Auto Windscreens depot.

This is the automated email thats goes to the customer 

Warning
Our system has raised an advisory indicating that your vehicle may be fitted with safety critical ADAS
(Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) technology. Vehicle manufacturers advise that ADAS systems
are re-calibrated following repair work. We do NOT provide re-calibration services so you must carry
this out at your cost following the repair to ensure that the ADAS system continues to function
correctly. This may be done through your dealership network or you can contact our recommended
third-party to perform the re-calibration: Auto Windscreens on 01246 223232.

hope that helps
'05 VW Golf Mk V GT TDI Laser Blue
'98 VW Golf Mk IV GTi Black
'97 VW Golf Mk III GTi
'58 VW Golf Mk V GT Sport TDI Steel Grey
'10 Audi A4 B8 SE Multitronic

'00 VW Golf Mk III.V Cabrio

MK3.5 Cabrio 2.0 8v Automatic to 2.0 16v Manual Conversion Project

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=272728.

www.dorsetautorestore.co.uk