Author Topic: best golf gti for practical use and appreciating classic?  (Read 2734 times)

Offline Ditcher

• Just got here
Hi

Im considering buying a mk1 or mk2 for practical use (5k per annum) and as a potential investment, budget £4 - £6k, any recommendations or advice welcome

thanks

Phil

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: best golf gti for practical use and appreciating classic?
« Reply #2 on: 17 September 2017, 14:14 »
That's a pretty cheap mk1 these days, you would probably need to do a fair bit of work at that price.
That sort of money on a mk2 will get you a great one that will possibly, slowly, go up in value.
If the investment angle is the main driver, I would look for stuff that has bottomed out, price wise. Mk3's are already recovering from being worth almost nothing. A late 3dr VR6 could be a good move. Then mk4-land. Currently worth just about nothing. 1k buys a good car, 2k the world's best. They will rise but you could be waiting a while!
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2017, 11:41 »
Hi

Im considering buying a mk1 or mk2 for practical use (5k per annum) and as a potential investment, budget £4 - £6k, any recommendations or advice welcome

thanks

Phil

I'm no investments expert but since you've asked and I'm bored as my OH has some rubbish on tv, I'll throw in my 2p worth :smiley: I doubt any older daily driver is likely to make you any money, being an older car it will need lots and lots of regular attention plus by being used daily will be difficult to keep it in a collectable condition. What I think you could achieve though is no or little depreciation and come close to some "free" motoring. On that basis you'll need to buy the best condition and maintained car for as little as possible. If you can run any car for a few years and get your money back then that's a result but choose wisely and perhaps you may get a bit of a profit. Good luck!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Hagreed

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 06 November 2017, 05:46 »
Of you can get a late mk 1 with the 1800 engine I don't think there would be much in it. Lots of options for tuning , limited by your wallet. From 20v turbo conversions to my preferred option, a 16v engine in a mk 1