Author Topic: Gone- MK6 GTi - Private sell (easy or not)? Stick or Twist  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Hi, this isn't an advert just sounding out the informed amongst you.

Pondering on a rare day off, whether to stick or twist!

Had the MK6 GTi approaching 2 1/2 years now and it has turned out to be a great car for us.

2010MY, 65k miles, Ongoing VW warranty (which is an excellent warranty in my experience and has been worth it's weight), Full VWSH, taxed/ MOTd for 12 months, carbon grey metallic, 3 door, manual transmission, leather seats (heated seats/winter pack), unmarked interior/ boot, including door sills and scuffs, Eibach lowered, 18 Monza Shadow alloys.  Immaculate condition, inside and out (including a nice clean engine bay).

When looking to buy one over 2 years ago, the nice ones sold quickly in the main dealer garages but the MK7 was still quite new out at the time.

Will browse Autotrader etc but wondering how easy people think it would be to sell privately at this time of year and what sort of money they're likely to go for?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 17 January 2017, 20:13 by Pld118 »

Offline gaurav_aidasani

• GTI forum regular
Re: MK6 GTi - Prvate selling (easy or not)? Worth?
« Reply #1 on: 25 July 2016, 20:37 »
If it's in nice condition as you say and still has warranty, I'm assuming around 10-11k. I went down private selling route but mine was stolen thanks to two thugs posing as buyers so just be careful. Hence a bit biased and maybe would say call up a few dealers first and see if they're interested?
Saying that the bloke I bought the car off was fantastic, so you get all sorts of people when selling privately I guess.
It's an all rounder so shouldn't have an issue in selling it.

Would you consider part ex? If you're looking for a new car...

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Re: MK6 GTi - Prvate selling (easy or not)? Worth?
« Reply #2 on: 30 July 2016, 09:39 »
Thanks for the reply.

Quite surprised at your estimate. If it's in that region of price at private sale, probably wouldn't PX and as you say it should be desirable enough to make it not too difficult to sell (if priced correctly of course).

But... After washing it this week, seeing it sitting gleaming at dusk and then and driving it... Maybe not just yet (picture taken just before spring but car still looks just like)

« Last Edit: 31 July 2016, 14:20 by Pld118 »

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
Re: MK6 GTi - Private sell (easy or not)? Stick or Twist
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2016, 11:03 »
The VW extended warranty is excellent and has been worth it's weight across the last 3 years whilst we have owned the car (although it hasn't been called upon much in the last year). We've currently got the VW extended warranty on a rolling monthly basis at £43.50/ month, which isn't too much for peace of mind knowing how good a warranty it has been.

« Last Edit: 24 December 2016, 18:58 by Pld118 »

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 10 August 2016, 11:10 »
65k miles? Looks from the pics like you haven't used it! :)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 10 August 2016, 11:39 »
It had 48,500 miles when we bought it 2 1/2 years ago.  We've definitely used it but not hard, mostly 60mph motorway miles, always looked after and parked well away from careless others!

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2016, 17:58 »
Well, the answer is twist:
It's officially waiting for a good home.

Today, washed it, Meguiars clay mitt/ Tardis degrease and AG SRP polished the exterior paintwork and cleaned the (not dirty anyway) engine bay.  Amazing how long it takes!

Just needs a light hoovering inside and the inside Windows polished and would be happy for anyone to view it. 

It's a lovely car and will probably regret it when it's gone but...

Someone will be getting a good one though/ confident of that!
« Last Edit: 03 October 2016, 06:21 by Pld118 »

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 12 October 2016, 14:10 »
Looks really good in the photos. In my experience you have to be patient with a private sale. If the VW warranty can be transferred to the new owner then you are looking at near VW dealer prices.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline Pld118

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 13 October 2016, 13:45 »
Thanks Joe, we're in no rush.

It looks really good in the metal too. It's a lovely car, garaged every night and is always driven and parked carefully.  Even the twin chrome exhaust tips are regularly polished!

The VW warranty is transferable to any new owner and everything on the car is fettled anyway.  Any issues that do arise should be covered by the VW warranty/ that's why I extended it because it's such a good warranty and is worth it's weight.

As just a few examples, during the last 2 1/2 years, the timing chain/tensioner/ components, clutch, water pump, radiator, window regulators, battery and all of the known issues that can arise have all been pre-emptively replaced on our behalf replaced by VW; and with only 67k miles on the clock and a full main dealer VW service history, the car will be eligible for the VW warranty for a long long time yet.

We bought it off the same main dealer who had sold and serviced it from new and we have continued to use that main dealer group for service and maintenance... And I'm better at detailing cars for sale than main dealer valeters  :wink:

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 16 October 2016, 11:09 »
I know what you mean about VW valetting :sad: Just sold my Scirocco  :smiley: and the buyer said it was better prepped than ones he had seen at the main dealers - and he was given more info about background, servicing and MOTs. Only took 3 weeks to sell but fortunate that it was the exact spec/colour he was looking for so no quibble about price.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.