Author Topic: My MK5 GTI R-Tech Experience.  (Read 10896 times)

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
My MK5 GTI R-Tech Experience.
« on: 10 October 2012, 20:15 »
So after selling the Audi A4 Hybrid turbo I fancied something 2 wheeled. So I bought a pd130 Ibiza from a friend for a very good price with the intentions of using this in the winter and the bike for the summer but that's not how it panned out. 

Coming to terms with the fact I will injure myself on 2 wheels (and the missus had her say). I decided to take my missus out with me car shopping (MISTAKE). After giving her the list of motors to "review" It was narrowed down to the Astra VXR, Golf GTI mk5, Focus ST3 and the Civic Type R new shape to test drive  :evil:

After the shortlisting only one felt right, and that was the GTI  :rolleyes:

So I have ended up with the following
2.0 TFSI
DSG (Used to slate but now...why would you opt for a manual)
18" Monza 2s that have been painted by the previous owner
Xenons
Cruise Control
Auto wipers and lights
and all with 49,000 miles

So down to the remap.

The standard power of "200"PS was how to put it....Disappointing. I looked at my options as to tuning and who was in my opinion on top of the ball game. The functional requirements were knoldage of the engine, a dyno to prove figures, and . That conclusion led me to choosing R-Tech.

Prior to the remap I had had my mind set on what intake system I wanted. So when the ITG came up on a forum for a very competitive price I couldn't say no. So many thanks Synchronize for the delivery of the item to R-Tech :afro:

So down to the journey. Living in the South of England the journey was daunting and was a two stage affair as I was to pick up my mate from Yeovil for the trip up. Left Portsmouth/Southampton on Monday at 9PM, Yeovil for 11PM. Up at 5AM!! to drive to Hinkley for 9AM. We must have hit each pocket of traffic going  :sad:

So finally got there at 10am and after the formalities the intake was fitted. Needs a clean  :tongue:

Then off to Sallys baps for a burger  :lipsrsealed:

The cat was fully cooled down at this point, so off it went, up up and away on the ramp to remove the pre cat. Not being a requirement in the UK and acting as bottle neck for flow straight after the turbo it was removed. While removing the downpipe Niki had "Ting Tong" (Legend) remove the DV and inspect for a split diaphragm, it was all intact but just as a precaution while it was out I wanted it replaced with the latest revision. 

While that was being removed Niki was set on the map.

I watched nick produce the map and wowh, WinOLS is on another level to mapping software many tuners use. Not as easy as +20% boost there, +20% fuel here and a bit of ignition tweaking possibly.

Then the dyno runs commenced. The first run was that of the standard map, with logs taken and fault codes checked it was given clean bill of health. Now the fun part can start  :evil: Logs were taken after the map and everything was in check.

Standard with no precat and ITG intake- 203.4BHP 243.1FT-LB
Stage 1 - 257.8BHP 303.2FT-LB  :evil:

No down to the feel, once complete Niki took it out with me to feel if everything felt right on the road and I was shocked  :cool:

It now picks up like nothing I could have expected. The power is linier and not silly'ly aggressive. It certainly puts you back in your seat. Combined with the rev limiter being upped to 7000rpm, and the DSG mapped it has transformed it like no other. I experienced a 4-5mpg better when off boost on the M5. Sadly I have no evidence of this. If anyone is thinking about who to choose to map their car I have no doubts you will be welcomed, comforted, excited, amazed, and happy with the results and customer service at R-Tech :afro:

Any questions, comments or opinion welcome.

Adam

Down Hill From Here.

Offline jamie1989

• I live here
Re: My MK5 GTI R-Tech Experience.
« Reply #1 on: 11 October 2012, 11:35 »
Awsome results and not surprised with the service. Cracking bunch of lads I personally wouldnt use anyone else in the UK.
1.6-1.8t AGU K03s, Forge actuator, Forge 007p, turbo back exhuast, Ths front mount, Catch can, 5 piece silicone boost pipes and creation sports tip. Stage 2 atm 232bhp 270lbs. Waiting for custom mapping :-)

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #2 on: 21 October 2012, 16:28 »
just do me proud and make good numbers on the JKM rr day..

Glad your happy dude and enjoying the power, cannot wait to map your mum tfsi.. :grin:
Nick

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 21 October 2012, 19:35 »
cannot wait to map your mum :grin:

:huh: :angry: :grin: :grin:

just do me proud and make good numbers on the JKM rr day..

I shall make you proud.

Down Hill From Here.

Offline MaXXeH

• I live here
  • Golf MK5 GTI
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2012, 14:02 »
team r-tech lol,   i am going for best k04 mk5  :rolleyes:

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2012, 21:35 »
Awesome stuff, looking forward to seeing this on Saturday.

257hp to aim for then  :smiley:

Offline xodia

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 01 December 2012, 22:38 »
I think this, along with everything else has sold me completely on r-tech, will be booking in a visit very soon!

Offline Mr Lees

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2013, 14:40 »
had my 2007 MK5 GTI remapped by Rtech a few years back now, car been running on re-map for over 25k miles. Same delivery , driving style the same but more power all over the rev range. The car is much quicker than standard. Infact I have recently purchased a 1998 TVR chimaera 4.5 V8, this has been modified slightly and is meant to kick out 280+ bhp, my remapped golf can live with it for outright speed and in gear acceleration ( admittedly doesn't sound as good though!).

RTech guys , good bunch and really know their stuff, if/ when I move onto newer GTI will be back for another remap.
steel grey, 5 door , leather, parking sensors, IPod, 18" monza,MF wheel,  K&N filter , smoked rear lights and mirror indicators,,, no remap..... yet!!