Author Topic: Northwest tdi remap  (Read 20779 times)

Offline Carbon-Chiptuning

• Forum Supporter
  • Not said much yet
  • Carbon Chiptuning
Re: Northwest tdi remap
« Reply #10 on: 14 May 2011, 13:53 »
No more than 3 IQ maps in edc15 you may find up to 9 map is in some versions due to production variant coding but only ever 3 in play at one time.  The fuel will always be capped by IQ V driver demand / IQ v RPM or IQ v pressure ratio which tends to cap the first two across most the the rpm range under 100% pedal request.  MAX 70mg IQ and upper limiters dont come until tuning hybrids and have no effect at all on the mapping as long as one for the 3 IQs will limit it.  Which gets back to my point mapped correct the Decat will cause NO more added smoke as the edc15 map strategy is to allow for clean burn at all load sites under all conditions.

I have many many customers who have had 90-100-110tdi & 100pd-115pd-130pd-150pd-140pd stage 1 remaps then complimented the map at a later date by adding a decat and felt the results straight way and seen better MPG,  The on the other had I have had customers who have replaced a fault oem cat with a cheap aftermarket cat with more compact restrictive cat celll and lost power, mpg and shed loads of black smoke afterwards.   If there is not gains from a decat system then why are people doing it, are the TDI club lads getting it wrong?

The main restriction with the VNT TDIs is EMP and the decat will reduce the EMP and in return lower the EGTs and less heat transfer to the block, which means less heat generated and as we know all heat build up is wasted energy from the initial combustion torque, its fact.

There are more of my customers on this forum > http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/270216.aspx?PageIndex=6  who have had a spec1 remap and then at a later date fitted a decat system or just cut the cat out.

Even a quick read on this forum http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=192354.0;topicseen

Oh Nick, you seem intent on discrediting us with your superior knowledge LOL.

Hardly productive for the others reading this forum but hey ho...........

My response to the 3 IQ maps thing was based on what you posted:

Quote:
“this is why there is 3 fuel IQ maps”

Now that has turned into

Quote:
“only ever 3 in play at one time”

And

Quote:
“across most the the rpm range under 100% pedal request”

I was referring to the complete load range not just 100% load (after all this is what efficient tuning is about) and in fact there are a lot more than 3 maps that control IQ as I originally posted. Use your simulator/emulator to trace what the processor is reading and you will see ;-)

Quote:

“edc15 map strategy is to allow for clean burn at all load sites under all conditions”

Thats just BS! Anyone who has owned a pd Tdi knows they are not the cleanest running diesels on the road. In fact the sole reason for VAG dropping the PDE injection system was failure to meet emissions compliance. They tried with DPF’s on pd170’s and we all know how that turned out! The problem with PDE is the injectors are driven by the camshaft drastically limiting the available injection event window and not allowing for any fuel pressure adjustment as the cam timing is fixed. This is why they changed over to common rail as this allows many injection events per stroke and electronically adjustable fuel pressure allowing them to meet euro5 compliance easily.

Please do not try and imply we have no knowledge of emissions or how to map properly as we have not even vaguely implied anything negative about you.

Also, to quote one of your customers from the uk-mkivs.net thread (page 4 user S600B_DC):

“Now I have been to a few RR's and know how loud and nerve racking they are, but this was the first diesel one and I wasn't prepared for the smokeyness  but all was good and the car made a healthy 141/227 which was a surprise as its a 130 model.

Then the exciting stuff began and 2 more power runs a lot more diesel fumes and it was finished total time around 2 hours”

So, a healthy car illustrating perfectly your “EDC15 clean burn map strategy” LOL!

Also, most of the people on that thread are talking about 1.8T de-cats not TDi’s. I can’t find a single post that illustrates what this topic is about.

Your second link that strangely appeared when you quoted yourself is the only thing that illustrates what we are trying to discuss and it seems a little strange that it was posted 3 minutes before your reply last night:

May 13, 2011, 23:52 vs May 13, 2011, 23:55

“After fitting my decat pipe i put the pipercross back in to see what happened and my mpg (due to the decat pipe) is better than before! Cant recommend a milltek decat enough, more power and higher mpg”

And it sounds very much like he changed his air filter at the same time not really illustrating anything.

All in all this banter is not constructive in the slightest and only distracts us from answering the real questions raised on the forum. I would suggest we keep our “superior knowledge” to ourselves and concentrate an answering the genuine questions posted on here.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss any of the above or better still pop in and see us and our facility if you have any doubts about who we are.

Kind regards,

Nick - Carbon
Carbon Chiptuning
Intelligent Solutions
mobile: 07825 215003
freefone: 08000 435 997
email: nick@carbonst.com
web: www.carbon-chiptuning.co.uk

Offline RTechUK

• Forum Supporter
  • I live here
  • R-TECH OFFICE 01455 617233
« Reply #11 on: 14 May 2011, 14:14 »
Your going off track here for some reason.

It tuned correct and the car is running right then there is not need to run black smoke as it can be capped by the smoke maps, BUT if push more power we come away from a 15:1 burn rate and go richer for more dynamic cylinder filling,  if a customer want smoke and the added power with it they can as they say no smoke no poke.

130PDs will all suffer from leaking lower boost pipes seal and the IC, if the metered air is lost via a boost leak then there will be more smoke down to hardward faults.

As for the guy with the smokey car on the dyno, who to say there was no hardware issues. leaking boost pipes, recon turbo with wrong pre-set  on actuator?  Plus all cars will smoke more on a dyno pull on an inertia power run due to lower loads and ramp rate, the sema with a braked power run and the wrong ramp rate.

I am going from experience, which has been tuning VAG 130TDi for the last 7 + years. Its really all we do and TDI tuning makes up around 70% of our work.

I am offer the forum members the best advise as I can like I have done for the last 4 or 5 years.  I am only stating what I know, seen and have feedback from happy customers.

If it was a topic about Bentley tuning I would keep my head down and let the tuners who actualy tuned them like your company. But I hold my head up high when it comes to 1.8T - 1.9TDI tuning and want my findings and comments to count.

It is not no dig at you direct, sorry if it seems this way.

R-Tech Customer Feedback / Reviews
http://r-techpower.co.uk/r-tech-feedback.php
VW AUDI SEAT SKODA 1.8T-1.9TDi -2.0TFSI  Tuners

01455 617233
http://sticky-vnt.co.uk Midlands

Offline dom

• 10k hero
  • Back in a Mk4
« Reply #12 on: 14 May 2011, 14:24 »

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #13 on: 14 May 2011, 14:44 »

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #14 on: 14 May 2011, 15:37 »

+1  :grin:

need more than one bucket if your tucking into it  :laugh:

Offline Carbon-Chiptuning

• Forum Supporter
  • Not said much yet
  • Carbon Chiptuning
« Reply #15 on: 14 May 2011, 16:37 »
Your going off track here for some reason.

It tuned correct and the car is running right then there is not need to run black smoke as it can be capped by the smoke maps, BUT if push more power we come away from a 15:1 burn rate and go richer for more dynamic cylinder filling,  if a customer want smoke and the added power with it they can as they say no smoke no poke.

130PDs will all suffer from leaking lower boost pipes seal and the IC, if the metered air is lost via a boost leak then there will be more smoke down to hardward faults.

As for the guy with the smokey car on the dyno, who to say there was no hardware issues. leaking boost pipes, recon turbo with wrong pre-set  on actuator?  Plus all cars will smoke more on a dyno pull on an inertia power run due to lower loads and ramp rate, the sema with a braked power run and the wrong ramp rate.

I am going from experience, which has been tuning VAG 130TDi for the last 7 + years. Its really all we do and TDI tuning makes up around 70% of our work.

I am offer the forum members the best advise as I can like I have done for the last 4 or 5 years.  I am only stating what I know, seen and have feedback from happy customers.

If it was a topic about Bentley tuning I would keep my head down and let the tuners who actualy tuned them like your company. But I hold my head up high when it comes to 1.8T - 1.9TDI tuning and want my findings and comments to count.

It is not no dig at you direct, sorry if it seems this way.

Hi Nick

Apology accepted :-)

I understand you are protective and proud of the work you have done over the years as am I.

So you understand a bit more about us I am only part of Carbon Chiptuning – there is much more to us as a collective than what you see on here.

I personally have worked for over 10 years on VAG diesels and this is my area of expertise within our company hence me not keeping my head down. It all started for me a long time ago with a MkIII golf with 0.216 nozzles and a few other bits ;-)

Anyway, I’m sure there is enough room for us to both to operate as forum sponsors without baffling the vast majority with examples of our technical prowess.

No hard feelings,

Have a good weekend,

Nick
Carbon Chiptuning
Intelligent Solutions
mobile: 07825 215003
freefone: 08000 435 997
email: nick@carbonst.com
web: www.carbon-chiptuning.co.uk

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #16 on: 14 May 2011, 23:26 »
Old mk3 Golf's and rotary pumps.... dinosaurs :laugh:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #17 on: 15 May 2011, 10:51 »

Can’t help but love 'em 110 BHP is one of my all time favourite engines for MONSTER MPG  :grin:

Nick (CCT) favours the 130 PD for MONSTER POWER  :rolleyes:

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #18 on: 15 May 2011, 11:00 »

Can’t help but love 'em 110 BHP is one of my all time favourite engines for MONSTER MPG  :grin:

Nick (CCT) favours the 130 PD for MONSTER POWER  :rolleyes:

I concur, worked on them for a few years, building, specifying performance, testing etc. For what they are, they are bloody impressive bits of kit. Only used in HD and off road vehicles now. Oh and the odd genset.