Author Topic: Cracked sunroof surround  (Read 54196 times)

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: Cracked sunroof surround
« Reply #170 on: 18 March 2021, 21:50 »
Thanks TurboTrev, very useful :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #171 on: 19 March 2021, 14:00 »
^^Something to do with the incorrect way the bonding adhesive has been applied, which is causing stress at the point where the cracks appear.

Edit.  With thanks to Mark Burgess on the MK7 facebook page:

"VW acknowledge this is a problem and will change the surround, as a bulletin was circulated by VW on 19th February 2021.
The problem has been the way the sealant has been applied, not fully constraining the surround, so with vibration, road shocks, torsion of chassis and thermal expansion the crack forms.
When it been replaced with the VW stated sealant will fully constrain any movement in the surrounding metalwork will be absorbed in the sealant, therefore distributing any stresses and strains evenly, therefore not forcing any cracks.
This is not down to 19" wheels, uneven jacking or hard acceleration, just sealant issue
Problem solved and now accepted by VW."

That's gold! thanks for that.  Not had the problem and hope I don't but very handy to know.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline C3PO

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #172 on: 19 March 2021, 20:41 »
Update, car now been assessed by VW dealership and warranty claim approved but now waiting for a bodyshop who has the right person (apparently furloughed). VW did confirm that there is a TPI for this issue but I do wonder how successful the repair will be?
Mk6 GTI, 18" monza shadows, Leather, Bluetooth Phone - gone

Mark 7 R, 19" wheels, lapiz blue, 5 door, leather, reversing camera - gone

2018 Audi S5 Sportback, pano roof, LED Headlights  B&O sound system - gone

Current 2020 Golf GTI TCR, pure grey, pano roof , 90% tints and Akrapovic exhaust.

Offline DaveT46

• Just got here
« Reply #173 on: 22 March 2021, 09:29 »
Pleased to say mine was in for assessment this morning, 1 minute & 2 photos later parts ordered & covered by warranty. Not the first example of this my dealer had seen.

Offline Redmax

• Just got here
« Reply #174 on: 25 March 2021, 19:04 »
I saw cracks in my car’s roof this morning, exactly the same place as everyone else’s. My car’s booked in for an assessment on Monday, hopefully there won’t be any argument that it should be dealt with under warranty...

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #175 on: 25 March 2021, 20:00 »
Sorry to hear that but it sounds like when more than if for those of us with a sunroof.

You should not have any issues, especially now there is a technical bulletin for it.

What I would like to know is if it is as certain period of cars affected. It’s not like sunroofs are a new thing or technically complex so would be crazy to think it would be an issue since the mk7 but then again...
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass

Offline TurboTrev

• I live here
« Reply #176 on: 25 March 2021, 20:12 »
Sorry to hear that but it sounds like when more than if for those of us with a sunroof.

You should not have any issues, especially now there is a technical bulletin for it.

What I would like to know is if it is as certain period of cars affected. It’s not like sunroofs are a new thing or technically complex so would be crazy to think it would be an issue since the mk7 but then again...

All the ones I'm aware of in this country have been 7.5 2019/20 models.

Offline Redmax

• Just got here
« Reply #177 on: 25 March 2021, 20:25 »

All the ones I'm aware of in this country have been 7.5 2019/20 models.

Yes mine is 7.5, August 2019 build.

Offline Dave3515

• Just got here
« Reply #178 on: 11 April 2021, 19:52 »
Hi all, thought I would add my own experience in relation to the cracked sunroof panel.

I have a 2019 Golf GTi and the panel cracked on the drivers side in the corner after 11 months. I had no issues with the dealer but my problems started with the BMW dealer who were the approved body shop to fit the panel. Initially they broke the windscreen and after three panels were fitted, each one just not lining up correctly it was decided the entire carrier frame would be fitted which has the panel already bonded in place by the factory. Naturally this involved a major strip down of the vehicle and I was really concerned the car would never be the same. I eventually got the car back after four months, granted COVID had a lot to do with that and all has been well until last week when it has cracked again in exactly the same place.

The car is now only 23 months old and the dealer are more than happy to start the warranty process again. They are this time involving VW Tech although I can’t see what magical solution they will come up with, but I suppose you have to go through the process.

I have a friend at work who also has a GTi and his has cracked twice, the first time after three months and the second after only a month or so of having the new panel fitted. He has now got rid of the car for a Mk8. I really don’t want to get rid of the car but I can’t help but think this will only crack for a third time and once the car is out of warranty at three years old, I will have a fight on my hands with VW!

My experience up to now, for those who have had the panel replaced once probably doesn’t inspire confidence in relation to the issue being resolved. It would be good to hear from those who have maybe had a similar experience and the panel cracking more than once and what if anything VW did about it.

Mine goes in tomorrow to the local dealer to have the trim panel replaced. I've had to wait a while as others have said the panel has been on back order; obviously a lot of these things breaking.

The warranty manager confirmed that the TSB states that there is a revised way of installing the panel, all to do with how it is bonded. Playing around with mine in the corner where it has cracked, it has displaced quite a bit now and moves a lot when pressed upon, definitely looks like no sealant under those corners.

I know the first time it cracked they struggled with getting the panel lined up and levelled correctly; the installer this time round seems confident in doing the job or so I'm told, hence ended up with a full frame and panel installation.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm going to ask for a copy of the technical bulletin, which I'll post if I get hold of it.

Offline CookieMonsterGTi

• Here all the time
« Reply #179 on: 11 April 2021, 20:02 »
Hope all goes ok.

Mine is in at moment and hope to pick it up in a couple of days (told them not to rush).

They did one a couple of weeks back and as said it’s to do with the bonding.

It’s at an approved repairer and they said they don’t want to do another one as it’s such a big job for how little time VW allocate for the work.
Pure Grey GTI TCR 5 Door DSG
19" 'Reifnitz' Alloys Including DCC
Climate Windscreen
Panoramic Sunroof
90% Rear Tinted Glass