Author Topic: RacingLine R600  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
RacingLine R600
« on: 23 March 2021, 18:44 »
Hello GTi squad  :cool:

I'm hoping you can help me make my mind up on a RacingLine R600 air filter system for my 2014 MK7 GTi. From using this forum for the past year I can see a lot share my frustration with the fake engine sounds/soundaktor.

Firstly my car is completely stock with no modifications. What I want to know is, if I turn the engine sounds off (I'll probably buy and OBD11 or Carista to do this) will fitting the RacingLine air intake make the car sound better from the inside (maybe outside too?) and be loud enough to hear the engine clearly. As when the cars in eco mode and the soundaktor is reduced it sounds very quiet.
Hopefully someone has this exact set up on a stock car and can help  :grin:

Also I'm completely undecided on the Trifoam VS the Pleated Cotton filters available for it. Obviously the pleated is low maintenance but is there a sound difference between the two? and a noticeable performance difference?

Thanks for any help

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: RacingLine R600
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2021, 19:08 »
Not sure that'll make much difference but I've no experience of it so could be completely wrong. A CSS back box for similar money would likely be a better bet.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2021, 20:41 »
I used a panel filter, hose and turbo elbow on my GTi pp and didn't notice any additional sound inside the car at all. It was a bit more responsive on acceleration.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2021, 20:58 »
If you want a bit of a daft thing... This will make some noise...

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-forge-parts/atmospheric-blow-off-valve-spacer-polished/fmdv14t/

It's a spacer, so works with the stock diverter.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2021, 22:21 »
You’ll notice little to no difference in sound from the R600 due to it being an enclosed intake. Will help the engine breathe a little better though.

If you’re after more noise then tbh the best bet is the CSS back box. Ultimately guess it depends on what your long term goal is and how far you want to take the modding journey.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2021, 22:29 »
Oh :grin: Guess I had my expectations set a bit too high for the R600 then haha

I just wanted something to make the engine sound a bit louder and meaner inside the car. Was trying to avoid any exhaust modifications as I don’t really want it loader to others if you know what I mean. Sounds like I might be stuck with what I've got then. Still confuses me as to why the GTi is so quiet and why they thought fake engine sounds was a good idea  :rolleyes:

Online Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 23 March 2021, 22:37 »
Watch some videos of the CSS backbox on a MK7 and see what you think. I don't like a noisy farty exhaust but my TCR which is a fair bit noisier than my PP was is fine. Actually it's better than fine, just right.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 23 March 2021, 22:41 »
The CSS back box is a great mod and isn’t crazy intrusive or antisocial. It’s actually the route I was planning to take before I went a bit OTT.

Certainly the best route to take to make the GTI sound how it should have from the factory.

As for the fake noise, most have gone that route now as the M5 and similar are all speaker driven.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 24 March 2021, 15:32 »
Sorry to be a boring old fart but I have wasted countless years fiddling about modifying cars and so am these days like a reformed ex-smoker in my attitudes to a lot of things car related.
Unplugging the Soundaktor is free, Carista isn’t  :whistle: (but these devices are really useful for monitoring fault codes and resetting things so a good investment either way)

I’ve no idea what an R600 costs but just by looking at who markets it I know it’s not going to be cheap. On a standard car these things achieve nothing, or at least nothing you’d notice. On a stage 2 car maybe it’ll do something.

The CSS exhaust does get my vote however.
I had a 2013 GTI PP and although it drove and handled really well it didn’t sound anything special.
A CSS exhaust does give the car a decent soundtrack, it’s properly made and even as far as your insurance is concerned it could be argued is a standard part “yeah, the car came with it on, it has a VW part number on it and so I assumed it was standard fit innit”
Folding the back seats down does enhance the sound a bit too I discovered when I had my Clubsport Ed40 transporting IKEA crap home. So much so I kept the seats folded afterwards  :grin: (I expect just removing the parcel shelf will do exactly the same thing)

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner