Author Topic: Mk7 GTI (standard brakes) front pad and disc replacement  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
I'm looking at replacing the front discs and pads on my standard (non-PP) Mk7.

It is not very clear if the calliper bolts should be replaced as they are single use. I get conflicting answers from a google search and can't see the answer from a search on here.

Any experience, and if I should be replacing it, anyone got a part number for the bolt?

Thanks

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
Re: Mk7 GTI (standard brakes) front pad and disc replacement
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2021, 09:58 »
I would like to know this also, I here the front carrier bolts can be used again but the rears are stretched bolts and need replacing. I just need a definite answer to how big my discs are lol. When I put in car details I get all different sizes
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 15 March 2021, 10:58 »
What you posted is what I have read in a couple of places, but then a few others have suggested that the front carrier bolts are stretch bolts too. Hopefully someone can confirm.

It looks from your signature like you have a Mk7.5 non-PP car. Assuming the discs are the same as the Mk7 (which I believe they are), I think you need 312mm front discs. I can't comment on the rears though (rears on PP cars seem to be 310mm, so non-PP cars will be the size down from that).

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 15 March 2021, 19:35 »
I’m not saying this is textbook, but I’ve never replaced either front or rear carrier bolts and I’ve done this a few times now. No issues.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2021, 19:53 »
I've found the brake manual here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/95szoktpexsruak/AAC1rXZY0qI-a5EewOxiDE-Sa?dl=0&preview=Brake_system.pdf

I'm not sure that it helps Mk7.5 owners to confirm rotor size though

[Typed the above before the latest response]
Implication from the manual seems to be that the bolt should be replaced but your experience matches most people's I've read online, so I reckon I'll see if it tightens up fine and only replace it if it seems loose. Thanks for your input.

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 16 March 2021, 07:07 »
Brilliant, I think it’s time for some new brakes
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2021, 11:27 »
Hopefully you are using a torque wrench on any brake work.

I know from the carriers on my old Mk5 that the bolts were set at a whooping 190Nm, whereas the sliders are only 30Nm.

I reused mine with touch of blue Loctite done up to the correct torque.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline Pixelmix

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2021, 11:30 »
Thanks for the tips. New torque wrench already ordered since my existing one doesn't go to 200Nm, and I've got some blue loctite in the garage.

Even with the tools, it is still cheaper than taking it down to the local garage (although I'll still send it in for a brake fluid change soon)