Author Topic: Painted my callipers red if anyone wants to see?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
Painted my callipers red if anyone wants to see?
« on: 14 March 2021, 12:10 »
All the stuff is from Halfords and cost me about £30 in total and was so easy to do!

I literally bought brake calliper paint from Halfords. I got a wire brush and brushed the crap out of them, I then sanded down with really gritty sand paper, then I sanded with a slightly finer sand paper until I thought it was where it needed to be, then got some white spirit and cleaned them down with kitchen roll and then simply applied the paint modestly and every 20-30 mins about 5 times.
Then finally I let it dry for about an hour and then applied one final layer as at this point the paint wasn’t sticking to very, very small areas, hardly noticeable - defo not noticeable when the wheels are on and that seemed to help and cover up those tiny stubborn areas   :rolleyes:

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
Re: Painted my callipers red if anyone wants to see?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2021, 15:58 »
Done a good job there,hope the Halfords paint has improved mind you-used it in the past and it was crap.
Did some badges and it didn’t last five minutes.
If you can put some GTECHNIQ C5 or similar on them,helps keeping them clean.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2021, 16:16 »
Good job, I don't usually have the patience for it when why a GTI was so appealing only have to paint the hubs now.

Next time you go for painting try POR15 stuff it's fantastic stuff.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline rajb

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2021, 21:48 »
Looks good. Should last tbf as the caliper paint is pretty good from Halfords.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 15 March 2021, 00:04 »
Looks good, don't use any aggressive wheel cleaner and they'll be fine. I hope you cleaned them wheel arches whilst the wheels were off 👀

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 15 March 2021, 09:56 »
Looks good mate 👍
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2021, 10:33 »
Ooh I'll defo look at that and apply it to give it a go. I got the brakes really hot over the weekend as EBC have recommended I do another bedding in process and the paint has held up well under heat... Let's just hope 6 months later they are still red and haven't flaked off haha

Good job, I don't usually have the patience for it when why a GTI was so appealing only have to paint the hubs now.

Next time you go for painting try POR15 stuff it's fantastic stuff.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2021, 11:08 »
Thanks I will defo look up the stuff as the paint could be a tad better, but only when lookimg up really clode with the wheels off can you notice that the paint isn't the greatest haha

Looks good. Should last tbf as the caliper paint is pretty good from Halfords.
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1