Author Topic: Dashcam Mounting  (Read 8185 times)

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: Dashcam Mounting
« Reply #20 on: 06 March 2021, 14:05 »
Just an FYI, if you get a dashcam on a mount you can turn it left and right. So if you did hide it behind the mirror then you can turn it and will not have a single blind spot despite it being placed ever so slightly off centre.
I'd just never dream of putting one right in the centre as I'd hate seeing the camera or the screen shining right in my face every time I started the engine

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 06 March 2021, 14:42 »
This is my worry about placing to the left of the rearview mirror, that's too off centre for me. I'd want to be able to see both corners at the bottom of the windscreen if possible to reduce any blind spots.

I guess the only way is to bite the bullet and see how I'd get on with it mounted centrally or if anyone else has some screenshots and pictures of their setup I'd like to see them.
depending what camera you get you definitely won't have blind spots mounting just of centre.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 06 March 2021, 16:40 »
I didn’t want to be able to see my camera,so it’s hidden behind the mirror.

The wire that’s visible is now hidden,it was left visible while I set up both camera’s.
Rear one is also very discreet.

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 06 March 2021, 18:05 »
This is mine....

From the front.....

Offline Verve34

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 07 March 2021, 08:56 »
I purchased the VW dash cam front/rear when I got my polo gti+ At a cost of £600 just because it had only covered 150 miles before some muppet decided to catch the rear bumper in a car park....!  It was hidden up behind the rear view mirror out of sight.When I swapped car for golf performance in December they offered to put camera in new car which is to the left of mirror
67 Polo GTI Reflex Silver
19 Polo GTI+ Black
70  Golf GTI Performance Pure White
21 Golf Clubsport Dolphin Grey

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #25 on: 07 March 2021, 09:32 »
I purchased the VW dash cam front/rear when I got my polo gti+ At a cost of £600 just because it had only covered 150 miles before some muppet decided to catch the rear bumper in a car park....!  It was hidden up behind the rear view mirror out of sight.When I swapped car for golf performance in December they offered to put camera in new car which is to the left of mirror

Wow that was expensive!! Had the KENWOOD black edition F&R supplied and fitted by VW for £370. The kit was £300 so £70 fitting wasn’t bad as it took several hours and thinking what their hourly labour rate would be it was good value lol
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 07 March 2021, 13:29 »

Wow that was expensive!! Had the KENWOOD black edition F&R supplied and fitted by VW for £370. The kit was £300 so £70 fitting wasn’t bad as it took several hours and thinking what their hourly labour rate would be it was good value lol

If it's anything like VW Wakefield, they book you in at the beginning of the day then call you at 16:30 telling you it's ready.

All day for a straightforward service, with no offer of a courtesy car. i don't know why so much of a fuss is made over full dealer history - give me full indy anyday!

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 07 March 2021, 23:05 »

If it's anything like VW Wakefield, they book you in at the beginning of the day then call you at 16:30 telling you it's ready.

All day for a straightforward service, with no offer of a courtesy car. i don't know why so much of a fuss is made over full dealer history - give me full indy anyday!

We talking about dash cam fitting not servicing. Dealer history doesn’t matter with dash cams, was just handy when getting my free service to had cam fitted at the same time.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 08 March 2021, 02:15 »

We talking about dash cam fitting not servicing. Dealer history doesn’t matter with dash cams, was just handy when getting my free service to had cam fitted at the same time.
I know, I started the thread. I was referring to the time taken on the install - 'several hours to fit a dashcam' when in reality it took an hour at most and they charged £70 for fitting.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2021, 02:17 by Ryan90GTI »

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 08 March 2021, 03:01 »

I know, I started the thread. I was referring to the time taken on the install - 'several hours to fit a dashcam' when in reality it took an hour at most and they charged £70 for fitting.

Sorry was just a bit confusing when You mentioned servicing, courtesy car and dealer history.

How long does it take to fit front and rear? I know front doesn’t take long but rear takes a bit more effort. My dealer had not had a TCR in before and I guess wanted to take care on it. I was looking at my car status on We Connect for a couple of hours and I could see doors, windows and boot being opened at different times through out that. Maybe the person that did it was learning still, did a very good job and was a few hours work. How much is labour rate up there in Wakefield?  Area I live is expensive and just saying £70 is pretty good even for an hours labour lol most places about £80/90 an hour.

I was tempted to start the horn sounding lol but didn’t want to piss them off lol

« Last Edit: 08 March 2021, 03:05 by Kpow99 »