Author Topic: Dashcam Mounting  (Read 8177 times)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: Dashcam Mounting
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2021, 09:20 »
What is the sensor in the back of the mirror?  The manual says the lane assist is in the windscreen!

Ambient light sensor for the dipping mirror.

My Thinkware dashcam is attached to the dots with the camera just below them for a clear view and it doesn't effect the sensor.
yeah mines in exactly the same position 👍
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2021, 09:23 »

So where the green cross is rather than the red cross, mcmaddy? My reasoning for mounting on the plastic casing (only if it doesn't interfere with the operation of anything) would be it would be completely hidden given the Garmin Mini is only two inches (do they really class 2 inches as mini... 😳)

Alternatively, it would allow me to hide the main bulk of something like a Viofo with only the lens part showing when mounted where the red cross is.
no you need to be up and slightly across from the green cross. Obviously depending on your height and seat position you can't see the cam if it's to left of the plastic. Can adjust the height to suit do the cam lens isn't obscured.

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #12 on: 04 March 2021, 09:36 »
What is the sensor in the back of the mirror?  The manual says the lane assist is in the windscreen!

Ambient light sensor for the dipping mirror.

My Thinkware dashcam is attached to the dots with the camera just below them for a clear view and it doesn't effect the sensor.

That's what I thought, just had dash cam fitted and was just in front, I moved it about a bit though.  I have the Kenwood 4k Black edition with rear cam.  Not bad.
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline chas.s

• Not said much yet
« Reply #13 on: 04 March 2021, 12:22 »
I have a Thinkware Q800 pro, front & rear. Generally pleased with it, seems to work well and like the GPS speed camera warnings etc. Mine seems to be in the same location as macmaddy & finglonga have said.
Good luck. Chas.
TCR, Pure White, Black roof, Akra exhaust, black 19" Prets, DCC etc.

Gone - 2019, Mk 7.5 PP, 5 door, Manual, Indium Grey, Keyless etc

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2021, 15:24 »
I've got a Blackvue mounted high up on the black dots to the left of the mirror. As the camera lens is on the left side, the black dots aren't in the view. Also as its right up near the roof lining it doesn't get in the way. Nice and easy to run the wire down to the fusebox too.

Do you get any blind spots with the camera being off centre?

No, can see whole front of the car and the other side of the road

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #15 on: 04 March 2021, 18:03 »

No way should you mount it in the middle. Dashcams have a wide angle lens so there's absolutely no need for it to be in the centre

Another little tip for anyone installing a dashcam. Once it's set up go into the settings on the camera and set it so the screen turns off after a minute or two. Multiple reasons - That way there's no risk of it messing with any ambient/other sensors in the car, the passenger won't have to sit staring at a bright screen, it'll charge faster if it has a built in battery, people driving behind don't have to stare at it etc.
Only one thing bugs me more than seeing that :grin: and that's people who have a cable hanging straight down from the dashcam and into the cigarette lighter port. There's so much space to hide the cables!!

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 05 March 2021, 16:13 »
I've got a Blackvue mounted high up on the black dots to the left of the mirror. As the camera lens is on the left side, the black dots aren't in the view. Also as its right up near the roof lining it doesn't get in the way. Nice and easy to run the wire down to the fusebox too.

No, can see whole front of the car and the other side of the road

This is where my camera is fitted:

Here is a screenshot from the camera. The black dots are just visible:

Not sure why the images are so small. Hope you get the idea anyway.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2021, 21:09 »
I would have moved it so no dots were showing.

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2021, 22:17 »
If I had another sticky pad I might do.  Everything was going wrong when I installed it and I was getting annoyed so just left it! The dots don't actually get in the way of anything you would want/need to see

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #19 on: 05 March 2021, 23:56 »
This is my worry about placing to the left of the rearview mirror, that's too off centre for me. I'd want to be able to see both corners at the bottom of the windscreen if possible to reduce any blind spots.

I guess the only way is to bite the bullet and see how I'd get on with it mounted centrally or if anyone else has some screenshots and pictures of their setup I'd like to see them.