Author Topic: Dashcam Mounting  (Read 8175 times)

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
Dashcam Mounting
« on: 03 March 2021, 16:10 »
Hello

I'm finally looking at installing a dashcam in my GTI but I wanted a bit of advice from owners who have the lane assistant camera built around the rearview mirror. Has anybody successfully mounted their camera on the plastic housing without causing any issues to lane assist or dynamic headlights etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations on dashcams, I'm a simple man who likes simple things so I've been looking at the Garmin dashcam mini - mainly due to is tiny size and simplicity. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7869866

I see Viofo mentioned in pretty much every review but looks pretty bulky in comparison to the Garmin Mini. I would like to be able to move the camera between my two cars and my lorry at work so something that can be easily moved between vehicles is a high priority.

Cheers.

Offline Dave1rs

• GTI forum regular
Re: Dashcam Mounting
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2021, 17:00 »
I have a mk 8 and fitted mine just to the left of the housing,hidden behind the rear view mirror,I also fitted a rear one too.

I went for next base 522gw,as I’ve used these before...hardwired so they activate if the car is touched and I’m not there.

I use my 512gw for work

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2021, 17:09 »
Like Dave I took my driving position and placed it behind the mirror out of my sight. I use a Blackvue with it's magicbox as it's small and activates when someone walks past it, if were doing it again I'd buy a front and rear camera this time.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2021, 17:26 »
I'm considering a rear camera too, they're tiny and pretty cheap so it's a bit of a no-brainer

I'd prefer to mount it centrally if possible but I'd have to more than likely mount it on the plastic housing which isn't an issue to me if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the camera

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2021, 18:44 »
I'm considering a rear camera too, they're tiny and pretty cheap so it's a bit of a no-brainer

I'd prefer to mount it centrally if possible but I'd have to more than likely mount it on the plastic housing which isn't an issue to me if it doesn't interfere with the operation of the camera
I wouldn't be mounting anything on the plastic camera surround. The best place is on the screen behind the mirror and then you can run your cables to the fuse box and also your rear cam in the headlining. I've got the Thinkware F770 front and rear set up.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2021, 23:36 »

So where the green cross is rather than the red cross, mcmaddy? My reasoning for mounting on the plastic casing (only if it doesn't interfere with the operation of anything) would be it would be completely hidden given the Garmin Mini is only two inches (do they really class 2 inches as mini... 😳)

Alternatively, it would allow me to hide the main bulk of something like a Viofo with only the lens part showing when mounted where the red cross is.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 23:39 by Ryan90GTI »

Offline mb

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2021, 00:38 »
I've got a Blackvue mounted high up on the black dots to the left of the mirror. As the camera lens is on the left side, the black dots aren't in the view. Also as its right up near the roof lining it doesn't get in the way. Nice and easy to run the wire down to the fusebox too.

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2021, 08:47 »
I've got a Blackvue mounted high up on the black dots to the left of the mirror. As the camera lens is on the left side, the black dots aren't in the view. Also as its right up near the roof lining it doesn't get in the way. Nice and easy to run the wire down to the fusebox too.

Do you get any blind spots with the camera being off centre?

Offline Kpow99

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2021, 08:47 »
What is the sensor in the back of the mirror?  The manual says the lane assist is in the windscreen!
2019 TCR, Pure Grey, DCC/PP Revo Stage 1

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2021, 08:55 »
What is the sensor in the back of the mirror?  The manual says the lane assist is in the windscreen!

Ambient light sensor for the dipping mirror.

My Thinkware dashcam is attached to the dots with the camera just below them for a clear view and it doesn't effect the sensor.