Author Topic: Scorpion Resonated v Non Resonated Exhaust  (Read 2809 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Scorpion Resonated v Non Resonated Exhaust
« Reply #10 on: 04 March 2021, 10:36 »
Fit the clubsport S rear silencer. Chop the old one off, put the new one on with a bracket. Sounds great and ZERO drone.

Then you wouldn't have a Scorpion catback...

Sorted!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 04 March 2021, 10:41 »
Hi,

I’ve recently become the new owner of a 2018 GTI (non PP) in Tornado Red and am loving the car so far.

The car is fitted with a resonated Scorpion catback exhaust, which, on full boost, sounds great and even at low speeds makes a decent sound and isn’t too intrusive.
However my problem with it is that at motorway speeds it does like to drone quite a lot. My commute is mostly cruising between 60 and 70mph which tends to be the range where it drones the most.

My (probably stupid) question is, if I was to change the resonated section of the exhaust to a non resonated pipe would this reduce the drone? Obviously I understand that under load the exhaust would be louder than it is now but my theory is that as the exhaust would be less restricted it would drone less while cruising at motorways speeds.

Feel free to call me out if I’m completely wrong, I’m just trying to find the best resolution without having to replace the entire thing!

Thanks in advance
was this the 3 door one with the tcr side skirts and otinger spoiler???
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 05 March 2021, 00:27 »

I hope you weren't working underneath your car on a trolley jack without an axle stand!  :huh:

I have done in the past on previous cars when I didn't have any axle stands and minimal tools, I'd put the wheel underneath the sills just incase. On this occasion though I removed the wheel to get better access to one of the screws when changing the rear valance, the exhaust I had installed professionally.

Offline Petrolicious Cars

• Just got here
  • Petrolicious Cars
« Reply #13 on: 09 March 2021, 13:20 »
Fit the clubsport S rear silencer. Chop the old one off, put the new one on with a bracket. Sounds great and ZERO drone.

THIS!

looks great too. Especially with the Clubsport rear valance

Would this fit the facelift model?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2021, 13:39 »

You'd need to do something about the Mk7.5 stock diffuser - the exhaust tips on the CSS are closer together than the Mk7.5 GTI ones, meaning you need some other changes.... cut it or swap it but not sure if the CSS diffuser will fit to a Mk7.5 bumper, so you might need to swap that too.... or maybe look at the third party one thats already setup.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 10 March 2021, 09:06 »

You need to widen the pipes - get an exhaust shop to cut and weld in an extension on either end

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 10 March 2021, 10:03 »
Consider a TCR rear box, should be a straight fit. Check first though! I'm sure I read about them being fitted to GTIPs with good results. Might be worth looking in to.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.