Author Topic: Scorpion Resonated v Non Resonated Exhaust  (Read 2808 times)

Offline MrST501

• Just got here
Scorpion Resonated v Non Resonated Exhaust
« on: 02 March 2021, 14:05 »
Hi,

I’ve recently become the new owner of a 2018 GTI (non PP) in Tornado Red and am loving the car so far.

The car is fitted with a resonated Scorpion catback exhaust, which, on full boost, sounds great and even at low speeds makes a decent sound and isn’t too intrusive.
However my problem with it is that at motorway speeds it does like to drone quite a lot. My commute is mostly cruising between 60 and 70mph which tends to be the range where it drones the most.

My (probably stupid) question is, if I was to change the resonated section of the exhaust to a non resonated pipe would this reduce the drone? Obviously I understand that under load the exhaust would be louder than it is now but my theory is that as the exhaust would be less restricted it would drone less while cruising at motorways speeds.

Feel free to call me out if I’m completely wrong, I’m just trying to find the best resolution without having to replace the entire thing!

Thanks in advance

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Scorpion Resonated v Non Resonated Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: 02 March 2021, 14:26 »
Well you'd not hear the drone if you went for a res delete... you'd not hear much, not even the sound of the police trying to pull you over for having a loud exhaust  :laugh:

I suspect the fitting is a bit botched on what you have, you've got something not dampened enough and the vibration is coming up through the car...

Get someone to have a proper look who knows what they are doing... it shouldn't be like that.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 02 March 2021, 14:31 »
Yeah... the resonator's whole job is to reduce drone. You don't want to be taking that out without a suitable replacement. Get it checked first, as suggested, and otherwise find a better one. I can't remember the name of the particular one that's supposed to be good for our cars right now. GTIJake over on the other forum (not sure if I'm allowed to post it here) has the name of it. Vibrant something-or-other

Offline MrST501

• Just got here
« Reply #3 on: 02 March 2021, 14:34 »
Thanks for the reply,

Ah, that was as I feared, I knew it would increase the noise but obviously hadn't realised how much!

As for the fitting, It was fitted by Scorpion themselves so hopefully that's not the issue but ill check it out just incase.

Thanks

Offline r600_clubsport

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2021, 21:04 »
Thanks for the reply,

Ah, that was as I feared, I knew it would increase the noise but obviously hadn't realised how much!

As for the fitting, It was fitted by Scorpion themselves so hopefully that's not the issue but ill check it out just incase.

Thanks

Scorpion do fitted themselves? i emailed them the other week and they said didn't provide this service
Lewman
GTI Clubsport Edition 40 - Number:120
Instagram: @ed40lew

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 04 March 2021, 00:30 »
When I was younger I learnt the noisy way not to mess with aftermarket exhaust systems - especially when you use the motorway frequently.

OEM for the win, especially when they already sound good like they do on the performance Golfs

Offline Carbon VW

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2021, 08:10 »
Fit the clubsport S rear silencer. Chop the old one off, put the new one on with a bracket. Sounds great and ZERO drone.
Mk7 CSG GTi 6MF Stage 1, CSS backbox

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2021, 08:54 »
Fit the clubsport S rear silencer. Chop the old one off, put the new one on with a bracket. Sounds great and ZERO drone.

THIS!

looks great too. Especially with the Clubsport rear valance

Offline rwleigh

• Here all the time
  • Richard.
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2021, 09:23 »

I hope you weren't working underneath your car on a trolley jack without an axle stand!  :huh:
Golf GTI CS40 #010 | Manual | 5 door | Pure White | Car-Net | 90% tints | Winter Pack | REVO stage 1

Offline sjw

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 04 March 2021, 10:11 »

Then you wouldn't have a Scorpion catback...