Author Topic: New GTi calliper decals & paint  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
New GTi calliper decals & paint
« on: 02 March 2021, 10:12 »
Hi guys.

Anyone recently done a refurb on their callipers, fresh paint and new decals?

I have an 2018 PP and it’s definitely had a few cheap acid based wheel washes before I had it....

Be interested in thoughts on sourcing them through VW or if there’s any recommendations elsewhere.

Thanks all.
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
  • Hey all! I may need some help.
Re: New GTi calliper decals & paint
« Reply #1 on: 05 March 2021, 14:29 »
I have plans to paint my callipers this weekend, so I will let you know how it goes as I haven't done it before but it seems pretty easy to do providing you have heat resistant paint . However, I'm in a GTD. I'll add before and afters if I get round to doing it  :grin:
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 05 March 2021, 20:22 »
I have plans to paint my callipers this weekend, so I will let you know how it goes as I haven't done it before but it seems pretty easy to do providing you have heat resistant paint . However, I'm in a GTD. I'll add before and afters if I get round to doing it  :grin:

Nice one buddy, thank you. Look forward to seeing how you get on. Taking the callipers off or leaving them on? Putting on new decals or not?
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2021, 12:04 »
It was so easy!!!  :cool: I literally bought brake callipers paint from Halfords. I got a wire brush and brushed the crap out of them, I then sanded down with really gritty sand paper, then I sanded with a slightly finer sand paper until I thought it was where it needed to be, then got some white spirit and cleaned them down with kitchen roll and then simply applied the paint modestly and every 20-30 mins about 5 times.
Then finally I let it dry for about an hour and then applied one final layer as at this point the paint wasn’t sticking to very, very small areas, hardly noticeable - defo not noticeable when the wheels are on and that seemed to help.

GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2021, 12:10 »
You’ve done a great job!
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2021, 14:01 »
Nice one, thanks for sharing, they look great.

I assume there’s no need for lacquer/clear coat over the top?
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey

Offline Ej1749

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 16 March 2021, 10:37 »
I've been told that no lacquer is needed for this paint. However, the next time I respray them I am going to put a lacquer on. They have been at scorching temperatures over the last few days and the paint has held up really well.

I would recommend using a lacquer if you are using high performance discs and pads as the brake dust after just a few days is insane. So I assume the lacquer would make the cleaning process easier.

I'll do an update in 6 months to see if the paint has held up as only then will we know how good they are haha

Nice one, thanks for sharing, they look great.

I assume there’s no need for lacquer/clear coat over the top?
GOLF GTD 65 MK7 STAGE 1

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 16 March 2021, 10:55 »
IMHO lacquer’s not necessary over high temp brake caliper paint. The brake calliper paint you’ve used looks as if it has a gloss finish, so IMHO a clear lacquer won’t really make the cleaning process any easier. Also, if any lacquer you might use isn’t able to cope with the heat build up in the calipers through braking, then the lacquer coating might not be very durable.

I find the best way to keep the brake dust in check is to clean the calipers each time you wash the car. I use a soft detailing brush and one of my Wheel Woolies (the mid sized one seems to be the perfect size) to keep the calipers clean on my car and the brake dust comes off easily. I can get easy access to the calipers through the spokes on my alloys without having to remove the wheels from the car.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Popinman

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 16 March 2021, 18:22 »
Good advice guys, thank you.
2018 GTi PP Indium Grey