Author Topic: GTD Sound Actuator  (Read 82335 times)

Offline MajorKhan

• GTI forum regular
Re: GTD Sound Actuator
« Reply #20 on: 08 November 2013, 13:01 »
Hi,
 mine is build 17/11 so im thinking sound act , is there anythingh that can be done???
From a Pulsar GTIR, MK4 Golf 1.8t, BMW 1series, BMW 330, Merc C280, A3 TDi, A4 2.0t Quattro...on order Mk7 T/Red GTD nav/pan roof/dynoaudio and ABT headlight brow BW44!

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #21 on: 08 November 2013, 13:13 »
At this stage you will get what you are given!  No offence intended there....

The reason is that VW cars are built to the standard country dependent specification (plus specific optional extras as originally ordered) once build is instigated.

If one of your options becomes standard (such as when Sciroccos got free leather interiors 18 months ago) you still get it. If one of the standard features becomes optional you don't get it.  If new standard features are added since order you get them (such as the ability to have folding mirrors open on remote control press for BW45 onwards cars).

In other words they dont retro spec cars to suit what you thought you were going to get...
« Last Edit: 08 November 2013, 13:17 by Mark V GTD »

Offline Rich_G

• Not said much yet
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2013, 10:34 »
So VW Customer Services contacted me the other day with regards my query about the sound actuator and told me they would look into it further.
Here is their reply.

Subject:
 Golf GTD sound actuator

Further to our recent telephone conversation. I have spoken with our Technical Support Team as well as our Product Marketing
 Team.

I am able to confirm that the New Golf GTD does not have a sound actuator as a standard item of specification. The only way in
 which a sound actuator would be fitted in the exhaust system, is if the new Sight and Sound pack was fitted. I am told that the
 Mk6 Golf GTD did have a sound actuator fitted and this may be the source of some of the confusion on this matter.

I hope this information proves useful. If we can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us on the
 number below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen UK.

Yours sincerely

Damien Quirk
 Customer Relations Manager
 Volkswagen Customer Services Centre

Tel: 0800 083 3914
 E-mail: customerservices@volkswagen.co.uk
 Internet: www.volkswagen.co.uk
GTD in Tornado Red

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 13 November 2013, 12:05 »
Unbelievable!  The only confusion is on the part of VW UK, its clear from previous paosts referring to VCDS scans that the Sound Aktor was present on cars up to BW45  :rolleyes:

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #24 on: 14 November 2013, 05:38 »
If you look on the VW new car configurator the option is now described. The description aligns with what was fitted on early cars as standard. Hope this helps.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #25 on: 14 November 2013, 07:36 »
Seems sh!te of VW to remove standard equipment and then hoy in a price rise on the car, despite the pound being considered pretty strong against the Euro right now.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #26 on: 14 November 2013, 07:59 »
Is that actually what they have now done ? Removed the Structure born sound actuator (SBSA), pretended it was never fitted as standard, then charge £255 for the privilege of fitting it back on ?

Even with VW's ineptitude, I can't really see them being this stupid. Also, if you look on the configurator it says:

"This sound generator enhances the aural sensation for the driver and other passengers. In 'Sport' mode (using the Driver Profile Selector) there is an additional acoustic emphasis to the sound of the engine inside the car, with no additional noise externally."

Which to me reads like its the SBSA only, and yet when you look at the price list it says:

"Exhaust sound actuator for selected driver profile. Comfort sound – Normal and Eco mode, ‘Deep Sporty sound’ – Sport mode."

Using the word "Exhaust" at the beginning leads you to believe that it is in fact the external sound actuator not the internal one, which would make more sense and is in line with what you get with the package on the continent.

Seems to be a classic case (again), that VW just don't know exactly what they are selling !
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Mark V GTD

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 14 November 2013, 13:29 »
The word 'exhaust' is a cunning ploy to make you think its external - I don't think it does anything other than generate sound inside the car as it always has (the sound you hear inside appears to come from the exhaust of course!)- the only difference is that now you pay £250 for it!

In this case its rather clever as they are now selling something that previously they gave away! They do have previous form on this sort of malarky - if anyone remembers when they announced price cuts in the Mk.5 but what they actually did was de-specify the SE model and removed standard items such as auto headlights and rain-sensor and made them cost options - all in days work for VW UK!
« Last Edit: 14 November 2013, 19:18 by Mark V GTD »

Offline corgi

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 14 November 2013, 15:22 »
I'll be quite happy if it doesn't have it...

I find it quite odd that VW will spend millions on reducing the nvh in the Golf and then feel the need to artificially add some back in...  :laugh:

Carbon Grey Metallic, GTD 3 Door Manual, Dynaudio and Advanced Phone Prep
In the Garage: 2010 Jaguar XKR 5.0 Supercharged Convertible replaced 2004 911 (996) Carrera 4S Cabriolet (15/3/15)

Offline Skinnee D

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #29 on: 16 November 2013, 09:05 »
I'll be quite happy if it doesn't have it...

I find it quite odd that VW will spend millions on reducing the nvh in the Golf and then feel the need to artificially add some back in...  :laugh:
I like it but doubt I'd recommend spending £250 odd on it.  It would be more interesting as a cost option if you could control it independently from the engine setting, but the description suggests no change from the original.
GTD + 3 pedals :-)