Author Topic: building track car  (Read 10369 times)

Offline Fruit

• Just got here
Re: building track car
« Reply #20 on: 16 May 2005, 14:31 »
Get some willwood 4pot brakes, only £450 for the pair with hoses rotors calipers and pads. Rally design have them

I melt my brakes when im out on the road so half a lap on the track then!

Brembo slotted rotors and EBC green pads, shame VW made them so small they melt

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #21 on: 16 May 2005, 14:36 »
That sounds a great price. You mean something from this page?

http://www.rallydesign.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=562_563_577

Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Fred Flintstone

« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2005, 05:21 »
The biggest danger on track days is the others on the track.  Beware of the boy racers with no clue to correct lines or protocol.  Also you get a huge difference in car types and performances.  This is a hazard in it'self, because a 911 on slicks on the same track as a 1600 Golf is a collision waiting to happen.  It's great fun but watch your mirrors and try not to race that 400HP purpose built monster on your rear bumper.

Fred Flintstone

« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2005, 05:47 »
http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13609.0

this is my beast so far :)

am gonna get a helmet  ;D

i dont plan in going off as im pretty much a a safe driver i plan my lines know about how to carry speed
i am no way the best driver and have much to learn :)

cheers peeps
a guy's uncle may be giving me a good bodyshop quote  ;D
which is nice

Just looked at your prep so far.  You should put the door trim back in, or fix a ally or carbon fiber card on the inside of the door.  You don't want your hand or arm getting caught in a bare door frame on a roll over. Even race cars aren't allowed bare door frames.

Offline hc-animal

• Not said much yet
« Reply #24 on: 16 August 2005, 18:31 »

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=13609.0

this is my beast so far :)

am gonna get a helmet  ;D

i dont plan in going off as im pretty much a a safe driver i plan my lines know about how to carry speed
i am no way the best driver and have much to learn :)

cheers peeps
a guy's uncle may be giving me a good bodyshop quote  ;D
which is nice

Just looked at your prep so far. You should put the door trim back in, or fix a ally or carbon fiber card on the inside of the door. You don't want your hand or arm getting caught in a bare door frame on a roll over. Even race cars aren't allowed bare door frames.
depends what sort of race car it is. if you are gonna use perspex windows and a slider, ie fixed windows, then you can cut alot of the inner door away and throw out winder etc. you will be amazed how much weight is in a door.

mojogoes

« Reply #25 on: 29 January 2006, 15:30 »
Hi guy's.................just to let people know i'm trying to help people out with lightening the there cars for this type and any other type of racing , by way of carbon fibre parts for the mk3 golfs over on the mk3 golf area/forum for silly money and very good quality , i'm doing the same on my car at the moment and came in contact with this company by a friend.

They also do a full wide bodied light weight carbon kit for racing it puts the cars weight at around 900kilo's Actually 856kilo's to be exact... stripped out , At around £2400 or a little over but this would include a bonnet,2doors,a boot lid,2 wings,front and rear bumpers,a dash boeard,and 2 three quater panels WOW , i,ve put some prices up for people who like myself just want a bonnet,boot lid,and dash board.

Regards,
Steve.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2006, 15:33 by mojogoes »

Offline russ_turner

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 01 February 2006, 19:48 »
helmet - obvious reasons
fire extinguisher - obvious reasons
half cage - can be lived with but carrying people in the back is a no no, stiffens chassis to an extent
full cage - expensive, pain in the ass if you're using on the road, stiffens the chassis majorly, all helps the suspension
recaros or buckets - side bolster support is a must have, needed if you want harnesses
harnesses - make a load of differnece, make you part of the car (instead of a passenger)
suspension - no sense having the power with no turn in! (include top mounts camber/caster adjustable)
brakes - decent pads and discs unless you're prepared to replace em every time they get cooked!
engine mounts - solid front one at least, you won't believe the differnece!
tyres - yoko 32r semi slicks (or 48r as they're now known) cheap items from german ebay
anti roll bars - must have suspension upgrade!
polybushes - makes everything a lot stiffer and they don't wear out all that often
perspex and weight loss - all the weight that goes is extra horses, things like sound deadening etc
decent gauges - need good feedback from the engine
close ratio box - instead of trying to put more horses through long gears, try shortening them and the horses come from nowhere! i believe you can fit a smaller final drive which does the trick. it's about £40, however the gearbox needs pulling apart
lightened flywheel - allows revs to be picked up quicker and so improves acceleration
baffled sump - to keep a good amount of oil available through those hard corners
catch tank - stop the fuel surge through hard corners
air flow - air filter, power rohr, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, exhaust system and of course there's the big valve heads, ported, polished etc etc
LSD - slip diff for an extra tug out of the bends, MUST HAVE!!

« Last Edit: 02 February 2006, 13:41 by russ_turner »

mojogoes

« Reply #27 on: 01 February 2006, 20:40 »
One very important mod is a quaife limited slip diff which i've got plus a group N motorsport clutch good for 400lbs which i have also ( 2.0L DIESEL   :shocked: ) and i've just ordered the motorsport changer and cables from cult not cheap but they've just modified them with a stainless steel tower in order for it to take more hammer , everything else mention i have less the roll cage................i just love scooby's and M3's.

1/4 at pod 13.02 @ 112 but in a mk2 body in 04. Smoooooking.

Offline Dubbernut

• Not said much yet
« Reply #28 on: 12 February 2006, 19:50 »
Just got this last weekend.  Its now my daily driver but built as a track car.

2.0 16v 9A
Mk2 16v box
4 branch manifold and system
Fully stripped interior, at all nothing
6 point Safety Devices cage
FIA seats
Harnesses
Polycarbonate windows with sliders
285mm brakes drilled with Pagid pads
Adjustable Konis
BBS RM's with Yoko A539's front and Toyo Prioxis T1S on rear
OMP steering wheel

Its fast as and totaly blows my old VR away but not just down to power but because its so light.  Yes its tough to drive and the steering is so heavy,  I dont have a CD player anymore or all the other creature comforts but hey its not built for that.   From 30mph to 130 mph its fun all the way and puts a huge smile on my face.

Offline steviem

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 14 February 2006, 12:50 »
Dubbernut, do you have anymore pictures of that, it looks amazing....