Author Topic: Yellow gunk in oil cap???  (Read 1472 times)

Offline annekarob

• GTI forum regular
Yellow gunk in oil cap???
« on: 07 February 2009, 16:24 »
I have just been out to check the levels and noticed that in the top of the oil cap is a yellow 'mayo' type substance, im hoping its not signs of a head gasket!!! :shocked: Car only gets run 1.2 miles to and from work every day so any ideas people? Is it a case of the car is not getting chance to heat up and cool down in a normal way as if on a normal length journey.

Car is running fine and is not loosing any water and not much oil (being a 2.slow)!!! :smiley:

Please anybody help, got me stumped. :huh:

'I spent a lot of money on fast cars, women and booze...the rest I just wasted!'    George Best

Offline boneybradley

• Forum Supporter
  • Serious forum addict
  • Back in a Mk3...
Re: Yellow gunk in oil cap???
« Reply #1 on: 07 February 2009, 16:25 »
condensation.....drop the oil and flush. and drive it more (to proper temp at least!) as it onlt takes a few short journeys to make mayo!!
Moderator of The Dub-Tug Squad!! (What some call the MK3 section!)

Full range of quality parts for your Volkswagen available at Oemandmore.co.uk

Offline annekarob

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 07 February 2009, 16:29 »
Thanks for the quick repsonse, due in the 18th of feb for full service anyway. Gets used more at weekends and covers 200+ miles but its in the week where it doesnt. Too lazy to get the bike out!!! :grin: :grin:

'I spent a lot of money on fast cars, women and booze...the rest I just wasted!'    George Best

Offline turbomike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 07 February 2009, 16:30 »
defo change oil n filter and put engine flush thru it. if only goin 1.2miles a day at least start it up 10mins befor u set of. also u checked ur coolant ?????
k30s, 312mm brakes, miltek r32 style exhaust, r32 kit. 19"s , r-tech remap

Offline annekarob

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 07 February 2009, 16:33 »
Yeah coolant level fine. have been starting it up for a good 10-15 mins early in this weather. Thanks again, thought the dreaded head gasket was going! :shocked: Panic over. Nice pics again by the way, somebodys been busy cleaning today. I was too and got some right funnny looks washing car in the snow and hoovering!!! :huh:

Offline turbomike

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 07 February 2009, 16:36 »
LOL well if head gasket gone or on way sumtimes u can get mayo loking stuff in coolant to, hope everything ok, yeah thought i best give it a clean as use it everyday and the roads bin covered in salt so dont want any rust lol
k30s, 312mm brakes, miltek r32 style exhaust, r32 kit. 19"s , r-tech remap

Offline golfgtidan

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 07 February 2009, 16:39 »
as said its most likey due to short distance driving..  :smiley:

1999 1.8t : Winter Pack : Kamei Mesh Grille : Forge 007p D/V : Carbonio Cold Air Intake : R-tech remap : 18" Toora Alloys : -30mm Eibach Springs : Smoked Side Repeaters : Hella Magic Colours Rear Lights : Hella Black Headlights : "hid" Headlight Conversion : Aero Blades Front & Rear: ECS KVW100 Window Control Module : Milltek resonated cat back

Offline rtb51

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 08 February 2009, 18:09 »
Don't worry, this seems to be a common fault, certainly with 2.0. I've had mine 4 years and it's always done it, but it doesn't use any water at all which is a good sign.
It will be made worse by short journeys.
One thing you should do is to clean out the filler cap and breather pipes as they will block up over time.
Take of the filler cap, then remove the filler neck, it twists and pulls up. Take off the two breather pipes and wash the whole lot out in paraffin. You'll be amazed how much crap comes out.