Author Topic: Advice on how much to sell an R32 with faults for?  (Read 7198 times)

Offline NotMyName

• GTI forum regular
A relative is going to sell his R32 but since it has faults, not really sure what price to ask for.

I know what he paid for it. He knows he wont get that back.

Car is a 2006 (06) R32 that's done 95k-97k IIRC.
It was bought with no service history ... so it has no service history.
He bought it 12 months ago. The reason behind the 'quick' sale is because when he bought it he was working elsewhere earning £550-£600 per week. He left that job & is now on about £400 per week so simply can't afford to run it. I understand this reason may not be believed but that's the reason.

I'll post a photo of the alloy that is in worst condition. The others are in better nick.

Overall the bodywork is typical of a 10 year old car (hate that phrase but it is) - few stone chips & the like here & there. Condition is not brand new nor is it a rot box.

It's had a new clutch recently fitted. New rear discs & (green stuff perhaps? One of the coloured stuffs anyway lol) pads.

The problem with it is the driveshaft is knackered & has been removed.

He doesn't have the money to plough in to it any more so is considering selling as is.

Any more info then feel free to ask but based on this what should he expect to be asking?

Oh i think it's got a 9 month MOT on it.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Re: Advice on how much to sell an R32 with faults for?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June 2016, 13:25 »
Have a look what else is out there?

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-r32-r/volkswagen-golf-mk5-r32-2006/5399354?v=c

Similar but full history and you can actually drive it  :tongue:

Got to be at least 1k less than that I would say, maybe more for a quick sale.
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline NotMyName

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 June 2016, 14:49 »
Yeah we'd had a look out there but they're all in fair order like you say  :grin:

just wasn't sure what sort of money he should be knocking off for the driveshaft.

Although he does say the car drives without the driveshaft, just not like normal obviously. I'm not a car person myself. Does that sound like balls?

I mean from the point of view that it can be driven away & doesn't need to be towed away?

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #3 on: 12 June 2016, 14:56 »
I can only assume he has removed the driveshaft going to the rear

Why doesn't he just get it fixed?? He will easily get his money back on the repair. Otherwise he will most likely just get a load of tyre kickers who will just chip him further on whatever price its up for

Offline NotMyName

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 12 June 2016, 16:04 »
I can only assume he has removed the driveshaft going to the rear

Why doesn't he just get it fixed?? He will easily get his money back on the repair. Otherwise he will most likely just get a load of tyre kickers who will just chip him further on whatever price its up for

Yeah he mentioned that it'll just be front wheel drive instead of 4WD. Something like that anyway.

Parts & labour - what should the repair cost him? He was thinking it'd be about £1k, so if the value is only £1k less without the repair then he was going to advertise it without the repair.

He's had enough of the car to be honest. 1 thing after another. Everything repaired so far. gearbox went - repaired, some engine mount went - repaired, various electrical problems which were a nightmare - repaired. Everything has been done but it's been 1 thing after another & he's had enough of it & just wants to get rid as he feels that once this (driveshaft) is repaired there'll be something else, then something else & so on.
« Last Edit: 12 June 2016, 16:05 by NotMyName »

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 12 June 2016, 19:10 »
was this the car he drove through a huge puddle  :smiley:

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #6 on: 20 June 2016, 15:05 »
As a prospect buyer I would ask myself the question 'If he hasn't bothered fixing this really obvious fault what else has he not done - and wtf has he done to it?'

100k miles for a Mk5 Golf with a nice sounding but thirsty and not all that fast engine in it, not a very good state, no history (only a knob would buy a VR6 engine without SH).

Use webuyanycar.com - that is probably more than I personally would pay for a car like this.
2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles