Author Topic: 2023 VW GTI Dashboard Creaks & Rattles Fix?  (Read 3233 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: 2023 VW GTI Dashboard Creaks & Rattles Fix?
« Reply #10 on: 11 April 2023, 21:06 »
I have a buzz from my b pillar, right by my ear. I think it’s the seatbelt slidey thing but it’s tough to find the source and not crash…

Take a passenger out with you who can attempt to locate the source of the buzzing noise while you concentrate on the driving. Alternatively, if you’ve got named drivers on your insurance, let a named driver do the driving while you locate the unwanted noise source.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 12 April 2023, 06:27 »

[/quote]

Take a passenger out with you who can attempt to locate the source of the buzzing noise while you concentrate on the driving. Alternatively, if you’ve got named drivers on your insurance, let a named driver do the driving while you locate the unwanted noise source.
[/quote]

I had a rattle in the hatch area of a new Cavalier many years ago - made the girlfriend (now missus) drive around whilst I sat in the hatch area and listened and pressed everything (it was the rubber bungs not adjusted correctly that made the lock chatter) - she thought I was totally insane so nothing I do now with cars surprises her😂
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #12 on: 12 April 2023, 15:23 »
I thought you were going to report that you projectile vomited over Mrs T7-to-be from all that crawling around in the back of a moving vehicle, because that’s exactly what I’d have ended up doing!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 12 April 2023, 16:40 »
I thought you were going to report that you projectile vomited over Mrs T7-to-be from all that crawling around in the back of a moving vehicle, because that’s exactly what I’d have ended up doing!

If I recall, it was a close run thing. I can’t even read in a car as a passenger without feeling like I’m going to barf🤢😂
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 13 April 2023, 17:27 »
I’d be no use as a rally co-driver/navigator they’d have to line the car in polythene!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 13 April 2023, 17:44 »
I’d be no use as a rally co-driver/navigator they’d have to line the car in polythene!
Or just leaving your window open in case, usually does the trick as long as you don't mind having to wash the chunder off the car after the journey. 

Offline BanksyGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2023, 00:08 »
Mine has numerous creaks and rattles coming from the dash and doorcards. Hoping to get some of these resolved but reluctant to have dealership ripping out trim as they might make matters worse. For me it's the only negative I have with my mk8 Clubsport, the cheap plastics etc. As my car ages (2 years now) I'm just learning to live with it and turn up the radio  :grin: Car drives great which is what I bought it for. Not good enough tho, my Mk7 interior build quality was best, mk 7.5 slightly worse, and now the mk8 worse still.
It’s nothing to do with material quality. I’ve had a VW Up GTI for 4 years which is full of hard plastic and bare metal and it hasn’t rattled once in 30k miles. My car is unusual for VW in my opinion, Golfs have always rattled

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2023, 09:18 »
It’s nothing to do with material quality. I’ve had a VW Up GTI for 4 years which is full of hard plastic and bare metal and it hasn’t rattled once in 30k miles. My car is unusual for VW in my opinion, Golfs have always rattled

My 2020 Polo GTI+ that I’ve owned for 31 months since new also has hard plastic interior trim (door cards) which seems to be the norm these days for B segment cars. Apart from an intermittent vibration from the storage cubby in the lower centre console a couple of years ago (only happened a handful of cases on a particular stretch of road and then stopped, never to return), there’s been no unwanted interior noises in my car either.

IMHO hard plastic interior trim isn’t necessarily poor quality, although that’s the general perception. Granted, it’s not as tactile as soft(er) trim, but then I don’t sit in my car and fondle those pieces of trim like the dashboard which is soft touch :grin:, and I’m not looking at the door cards when I’m driving. Although soft interior trim does look nice, if it’s going to be a source of constant unwanted creaks and rattles, I’m happy with what I’ve got (unwanted interior noises are a pet hate of mine).

For me, quality is just as much about how well something is screwed together as it is about the materials used. I suspect with the Golf, VW may have cheapened out in areas that aren’t seen in an effort to control costs, and they may have used fewer, poorer quality clips and fastenings to hold the interior trim in place. There’s also a massive backlog of orders at the Wolfsburg plant, so maybe some areas of quality are being compromised on the Golf’s production line and the post-build QC process in an effort to clear that backlog.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl