Author Topic: Mk2 Atlas Grey 3dr Gti now with 20vt!  (Read 32089 times)

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
Mk2 Atlas Grey 3dr Gti now with 20vt!
« on: 11 January 2013, 07:26 »
Well ever since I sold my mk2 driver with an ABF in last year iv ebeen missing a MK2. So I kept an eye out for ones needing some love. A freind of mine had seen this and suggested I went an dknocked the door. So last week I knocked the door and left my number with the chaps mother and said to call me if he wanted to sell.

Its a 1989 (should be small bumper) 8v, Atlas grey with 88k on the clock!!!! Good old Isle of Wight ;)

4 days passed and no call or text. Then last Friday I get a text saying he might sell it. So on Sunday I went and viewed. Needs lots of TLC mechanically as the head gasket has apparently gone and where its been stood for nearly 2 years brakes etc are all foobared.

So plan is to get it running, MOT'd and looking straight. Then I hope to 1.8T.

The story so far:

Collecting it:

Home looking sorry for its self:

First wash:

Sorting the bumpers:

Interior out for proper clean:

Then after a quick machine polish:

Ive also put some new Genuine Hella spot lights in, Removed all the crap sub etc from the boot, fitted a new front grill badge:

Before:

After:

« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 08:13 by Dave-iow »

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
[quote name='Daveiow' timestamp='1348211116' post='4783125']
That leads me on to now. Took the head off last night and before it was off was greated with this:

Intresting..lol

Heads of and I have a box full of genuine gaskets ready to re fit once the head is checked and all straight. Will also get some decent pics not using my phone. Off to get some discs and pads this morning

Dave
[/quote]

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
poope weather so havnt really done alot since yesterday. New carpet mats and new gear gaitor and gear knob fitted:

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
Not much of an update as ive been lazy with the pics. But new 8v engine is in with and running. So after 2 years the car is alive.. well sort off.

Has a few minor probs, fuel gauge doesn’t seem to work and seems to get a little bit hot. I think this might be the rad as it looks fooked and surprised it even holds water. So will get a new one on order asap.

In the mean time ive started replacing all the brakes. Heres the before:

Afters will follow (fronts are done though with fresh red paint)

Few new bits:

New steering wheel:

New genuine GTI badge and new Front indicators:

And a quick pic of the front. Cross hairs will be going this week as I have some new Genuine Hellas in the loft ready to go on ;)

Hope to get it on for MOT next week all being well

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
Few pics from last nights progress.

New Old stock lights:

Also got the wiper arms of to be painted as they had been badly colour coded:

Hope tpo get the right rear brake pads sorted today so I can get it in for an MOT mabey Sat.

Bloody lights were LHD though lol

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
steering wheel fitted:

Rear brakes final sorted:

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
Got rid of the crystal rear lights:

Then finally moved it under its own steam..lol Still a few bits to iron out before MOT. But the drive way 2,4 & 6:

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
So been doing a few niggle bits this week. Fitted new roll bar bushes and drop links, Fixed a couple of air leaks, Fitted a new shifter ball to stop it finding reverse. Also did:

Rear wiper arm laid flat:

And New Genuine front Grill:

I think ive also manged to find my 1.8t conversion car should be comming as a px at work Nov/December! ;)

Couple of Instagrams:

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
Small update.

Fitted a GTI rear screen and rear spoiler.

Nice and clean tailgate no a sport of rust:

All fitted:

Offline Dave-iow

• Here all the time
Few rubbish iphone pics.

New Exhaust on:

Front bumper sorted:

And the mk4 along side the MK2: