Author Topic: Whats the difference?  (Read 923 times)

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
  • So long and thanks for all the fish!
Whats the difference?
« on: 26 November 2009, 16:09 »
Whats the difference between the 2.0 2E block from the mk3 8v and the "bubble block" from a 2.0 passat?

looking into blocks for my 8v mk2 and have had both sugjested to me!

cheers, ian

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
  • Hello, my name is John and I'm a dub addict.
Re: Whats the difference?
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2009, 16:13 »
afaik the passats have the same tall block as the MK3, bubble block refers to short block 3a 2.0 8v as found in Audis

either type block is fine, audi block will need bits swapping over from a VW as the block is mounted differently, sump, maybe oil filter housing etc.
Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2009, 17:13 »
no difference in performance then? so i guess the bubble blocks gonna be a winner as i wont have to deal with the height difference between the PB and 2E block?

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 November 2009, 00:41 »
bubbel block has shorter con rods.     

theory says,  breaths harder sooner ( in relation to cranck angel )  so suits high revs lary cams and ported heads better.   downsides are greater thrust angels on pistons so in theory shorter life and won't be quite as willing to do torque
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #4 on: 27 November 2009, 08:35 »
I never had any height issues on my 2e block, oem manifold & downpipe fits perfect. even the ashley 4 branch I put on cleared ok

Offline Roverdose

• Here all the time
« Reply #5 on: 27 November 2009, 14:29 »
right, so its best i go for the 2e as reliability is a key factor, my cars in bits now and its killing me not being able to drive it so i dont wanna have to do it again! cheers for all your help!

Offline rubjonny

• 10k hero
« Reply #6 on: 27 November 2009, 14:48 »
id go for the 2e more because you can actually find them! audi 3a a bit on the rare side. no reason not to use the audi block if you can find one, though as i say you'll have to swap a few VW bits over to make it fit in a Golf, unlike 2e which will pretty much drop straight in as is

Offline danny_p

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2009, 19:59 »
the theoretical sorter life TBH dosent really apply. in theory it'll wear its bores / istons sooner but chances are you wont have it that long and or you'll blow it up some other way before meeting that issue.   its over 200,000 miles that starts to rase it's head but tall blocks have gone by 250,000 miles if something else hasne killed them first
all the VW's have gone bar 1.

Offline Diamond Hell

• Serious forum addict
  • Opinions я Us
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2009, 22:49 »
I wouldn't go for a 2E.

It doesn't have a crank sensor.  If you want to turn the wick up later and run proper management you're into a world of aggro to get one fitted up.

Get something slightly later and you'll get a crank sensor on it.  It may well have few miles, too.
Just because you're offended doesn't make you right.

Holiday cottages on the Isle of Wight for 2-10 people? PM me.