Author Topic: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality  (Read 211058 times)

Offline mike.

• I live here
Re: XENONS - Q & A retrofitting & functionality
« Reply #620 on: 28 April 2012, 09:06 »

Fault codes I'm getting are along the lines of

01495 bulb for high beams left (m30)
010- open or short to plus

01499 same as above but right (M32)
010- open or short to plus.

You reckon my BCM just doesn't have the pins in it? Can I put them in? Maybe a stupid question...

These fault codes are due to the fact that there are no secondary high beam bulbs like the halogen setup.

If you Set Bit 2 in Byte 17 of the BCM that should clear those.
« Last Edit: 28 April 2012, 11:09 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
« Reply #621 on: 28 April 2012, 17:39 »
Thanks Mike.

I will need to see if I can check the rest of the BCM info then. Are you able to physically see the numbers or would I need to get it hooked up to Vag com again?

Changing the bits you mentioned wouldn't be a reason why the high beam isn't working at the moment would it? If I had the correct pins, BCM and wiring I'm guessing my bi xenon high beam would work just with the fault codes still displaying for the other high beam?
Only asking this as I don't have access to vag com at the mo.
Was back Again at a guy in the Glasgow area for the 3rd time to no avail so I will need to leave it for a little bit I think before I go back.
Golf Mk6 1.6 TDI Match Bluemotion Tech

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #622 on: 28 April 2012, 20:17 »
You're right, that error will not stop the high beam shutters working as I had it for a while, before I found out how to turn it off, and the high beam worked.

You might be able to see the label if you look under the dash above the accelerator pedal, depends how flexible you are  :laugh:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
« Reply #623 on: 29 April 2012, 10:41 »
You're right, that error will not stop the high beam shutters working as I had it for a while, before I found out how to turn it off, and the high beam worked.

You might be able to see the label if you look under the dash above the accelerator pedal, depends how flexible you are  :laugh:

Oh well better start pricing a new BCM  :sad:

Ye I will give it a go. This retrofitting business would be a lot easier if I knew a contortionist  :tongue:

Another point I just remembered. I had to extend the wires for the shutters as the harness was designed for a LHD car so I just soldered 5 amp car wire in to extend them. Could this be the problem? What wire should I have used?

Chris

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #624 on: 29 April 2012, 10:51 »
No the wires will be fine, mine was the same as I had to extend it from the left side as well.

I had to buy a new BCM but managed to sell the old one as it removes the bulb out warning for anyone retrofitting rear LEDs

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
« Reply #625 on: 29 April 2012, 13:27 »
No the wires will be fine, mine was the same as I had to extend it from the left side as well.

I had to buy a new BCM but managed to sell the old one as it removes the bulb out warning for anyone retrofitting rear LEDs

Oh well at least it may have some use. Where did you buy your new BCm from? Kufatec?
If I'm going to this extent I may install afs and auto level too.
U reckon it would be a lot more work?

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #626 on: 30 April 2012, 10:48 »
I bought the BCM from the dealer, managed 20% discount so I think it was less than £200 and then got £100 for my old one so wasn't to bad in the end.

The AFS addition with self leveller did take me a while. The worst bit was connecting to the CAN bus at the CAN bus controller.
After I had cut my knuckles to bits I later found out it is easier to get the CAN controller from the engine bay as detailed HERE  :laugh:

I bought the self leveller loom from Kufatec (Part No. 37139) but had to extend the wiring as I am not sure where they had intended to place the AFS controller.
If you have ACC on the car then the self levellers should already be installed.

I put more details of the parts needed in THIS post.

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
« Reply #627 on: 30 April 2012, 13:50 »
I bought the BCM from the dealer, managed 20% discount so I think it was less than £200 and then got £100 for my old one so wasn't to bad in the end.

The AFS addition with self leveller did take me a while. The worst bit was connecting to the CAN bus at the CAN bus controller.
After I had cut my knuckles to bits I later found out it is easier to get the CAN controller from the engine bay as detailed HERE  :laugh:

I bought the self leveller loom from Kufatec (Part No. 37139) but had to extend the wiring as I am not sure where they had intended to place the AFS controller.
If you have ACC on the car then the self levellers should already be installed.

I put more details of the parts needed in THIS post.

Okay, cool. I'll just have to find out which bcm i have before i work out what to do next then. This is turning into a long retro!!

Cheers for the links, they will come in handy!

Offline latta1989

• Not said much yet
« Reply #628 on: 01 May 2012, 17:05 »

This is my BCM part no. BCM PQ35 B 110 0651

Fault codes I'm getting are along the lines of

01495 bulb for high beams left (m30)
010- open or short to plus

01499 same as above but right (M32)
010- open or short to plus.

You reckon my BCM just doesn't have the pins in it? Can I put them in? Maybe a stupid question...

You need the rest of the part number as well.

This is mine

Part No SW: 1K0 937 087 E    HW: 1K0 937 087 E
   Component: BCM PQ35  H+  103 0575 

If your part number ends in 086 instead of 087 then as Steve says it won't have the pins for the high beam shutters and you will need a new BCM.

As far as the install is concerned it is relatively straight forward except if you want to add the AFS function which will require you to attach two wires to the CAN bus. This is made at the CAN controller which is located deep in the dash above the drivers footwell behind the BCM.

Checked my BCM today just looked up at it from the footwell area and the part number was visible.

It is 1k0 937 084 F

What part number am i after to get these xenons working then? The same as yours or just any that ends in 087?

Offline mike.

• I live here
« Reply #629 on: 01 May 2012, 17:57 »
This is the latest info I have, I think it came from RossTech

1K0-937-084 (Basic - Supports NO Fogs or Xenons)
1K0-937-085 (Low - Supports NO Fogs or Xenons)
1K0-937-086 (Medium - Supports Fogs but NO Xenons)
1K0-937-087 (High - Supports Fogs and/or Xenons)

Although it says 084 doesn't support Fogs, not sure whether that is front or back.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2012, 18:00 by mike. »