Author Topic: Leaded and super unleaded mpg  (Read 5753 times)

Offline BlinGTIes

• Not said much yet
Leaded and super unleaded mpg
« on: 01 February 2019, 16:21 »
Hi guys,

I tried filling my MK 7.5 super unleaded the other week, i did notice a slight improvement in performance. I have gone back to regular unleaded now and have noticed I am going through that at a faster rate than before.

Has anyone else experienced this when they switch from super? Is this normal? If so, how long does it last?

Or have I done something I shouldn’t have!

Offline DTX3

• Not said much yet
Re: Leaded and super unleaded mpg
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2019, 16:40 »
I've used nothing but Shell v-power. So can't compare to regular. But I would say that doesn't sound right.

I remember seeing this a few years back https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8L-X89duEs

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2019, 17:03 »
The colder weather will be why you are using more fuel. Longer to warm up. Heaters and lights on etc.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline kmpowell

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2019, 18:24 »
As advised by VW, the GTI and R both run best on 98+, which means they are mapped specifically for higher octane fuels. You can put normal 95 in but you’ll get less MPG and less than optimal performance.

I personally only ever use V-Power.
SOLD March 2021
2019 GTI Performance, 5DR, DSG - Isaac Blue, Leather, Pan Roof, 19" Brescias, DCC, Dynaudio, Rear Camera, Keyless, Electric Memory Driver Seat.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2019, 18:31 »
^^^^ What he said. You bought a performance car, which was set up to run best on performance fuel. It will run on 95, but at disadvantageous performance and consumption. Whether the cost is worth it is up to you.
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2019, 18:44 »
Another topic widely debated on here!

Inside the filler cap it tells you what to use. 95 Ron min for the GTI, I believe the R says 97/8.
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2019, 18:52 »
VW do actually recommend super unleaded for the GTI, however it will run on 95 hence why it has that on the cap. I was sceptical but decided to change based on VW advice. I haven't noticed any improvement in economy and a marginal difference in running however for £2.50 extra a tank I don't think it's worth worrying about. I use Momentum 99.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline Jim_mk7.5

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2019, 18:55 »
Yes Tesco 99 about 1.21 a litre here although normal down to 1.149 at Texaco locally. But yes, only a few £s extra per tank  :smiley:
NOW - 330e M Sport
GONE - 2018 Mk7.5 GTI Performance 5dr DSG, Tungsten Silver, 2017 Mk7.5 GTI 5dr DSG, Indium Grey

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2019, 19:09 »
VW do actually recommend super unleaded for the GTI, however it will run on 95 hence why it has that on the cap. I was sceptical but decided to change based on VW advice. I haven't noticed any improvement in economy and a marginal difference in running however for £2.50 extra a tank I don't think it's worth worrying about. I use Momentum 99.

Most of Europe calls RON95 "Super", as denoted by the multitude of languages telling you to fill your GTI with "Super" RON 95 on the filler flap. The R  filler flap sticker tells you to use 97/98.

If you haven't seen any improvement in economy swapping to RON99 then it's not set up for it and you're effectively compressing your RON99 to less than optimum before the spark plug ignites it. If set up for RON98, it would be thirstier using RON95.

Plenty of people think RON99 is more calorific than RON95 - it isn't, it just has combustible additives that make the mix less volatile and so can be compressed further without pinking. You're just chucking £2.50 a tank away.

Most of the performance engines around the MK5 era were optimised for RON98, the MK7 GTI engine isn't.
« Last Edit: 01 February 2019, 19:10 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2019, 19:33 »

Most of Europe calls RON95 "Super", as denoted by the multitude of languages telling you to fill your GTI with "Super" RON 95 on the filler flap. The R  filler flap sticker tells you to use 97/98.

If you haven't seen any improvement in economy swapping to RON99 then it's not set up for it and you're effectively compressing your RON99 to less than optimum before the spark plug ignites it. If set up for RON98, it would be thirstier using RON95.

Plenty of people think RON99 is more calorific than RON95 - it isn't, it just has combustible additives that make the mix less volatile and so can be compressed further without pinking. You're just chucking £2.50 a tank away.

Most of the performance engines around the MK5 era were optimised for RON98, the MK7 GTI engine isn't.

You may well be right, tbh I've no idea. But VW recommend it so that's what I'm doing.

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/need-help/owners/Fuel

When I reach the point when I can't afford to lose £2.50 a month then I may reconsider :rolleyes:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.