Author Topic: Battery replacement  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
Battery replacement
« on: 10 March 2021, 18:55 »
Having recently bought a very low mileage GTI I’ve been disappointed to note the dash display showing low voltage, since purchase. I drove it 50 miles home and I’ve had it on trickle charge overnight. Doesn’t seem to have revived it. Stop/start still doesn’t work.

Checked Eurocarparts and they show a ludicrous £435 for replacement. Then I note I need to code the battery to the car. I don’t have the software for that.

I imagine VW cost for a replacement battery is fierce. Who do you use for a battery replacement and how do you code it?
I’m in Surrey. Cheers

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
Re: Battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: 10 March 2021, 19:01 »
I assume it was a private sale and not from a garage? Therefore you can't take it back for them to replace?

Unfortunately I know cars with stop/start etc have batteries that are a lot more expensive. I've only had my GTi a year so haven't had to break the bank on a battery yet

I do know that if you buy an OBD11 (or possible a Carista which is cheaper might do it too?) device then you can program the battery yourself. If you don't know they've devices that plug into the port under your steering wheel to read diagnostic information among many other things. They've both sub £100
I'm sure someone else will be able to comment soon can give you far more information about these than I can

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 10 March 2021, 19:08 »
About 180 fitted and coded with Halfords
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 March 2021, 19:40 »
That’s a relief! Never thought Halfords would be cheaper than ECP for anything!

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 12 March 2021, 10:20 »
I assume it was a private sale and not from a garage? Therefore you can't take it back for them to replace?

Unfortunately I know cars with stop/start etc have batteries that are a lot more expensive. I've only had my GTi a year so haven't had to break the bank on a battery yet

I do know that if you buy an OBD11 (or possible a Carista which is cheaper might do it too?) device then you can program the battery yourself. If you don't know they've devices that plug into the port under your steering wheel to read diagnostic information among many other things. They've both sub £100
I'm sure someone else will be able to comment soon can give you far more information about these than I can
yeah if you get the same model battery you only need to change the serial number so the car knows it’s new, maybe ask around your area see if anyone will program it for you, I gave my spare away, but I still have gen1 and 2 in the car, so if around hertfordshire your welcome to get it coded

Offline Refurbished.

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2021, 11:12 »
Kind offer- I’m in Surrey. I found my Ctek has a recon mode so I left it connected overnight. Hoping it may have shaken off it’s lethargy. Otherwise Halfords sound promising if they also code to the car. What a nonsense- coding a battery to a car....

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2021, 22:38 »
If you know someone with a trade card you can upgrade for around £125 to an AGM.

however the current battery needs a good charge to get Start/Stop working in this weather and that can only be done with a good 20mile run.

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2021, 15:31 »
Yeah if you get the same model battery you only need to change the serial number so the car knows it’s new, maybe ask around your area see if anyone will program it for you, I gave my spare away, but I still have gen1 and 2 in the car, so if around hertfordshire your welcome to get it coded

I've had my car a year and still haven't got around to picking up an OBD11 yet. I was hoping it will drop in price but I missed out on grabbing one on BlackFriday. Was going to get the gen 2 as I have an iPhone but do have old Android phones around the house. Plan A is disabling the fake engine sounds but then I'm worried I'll want a RacingLine intake and then it'll be a money spiral from there aha

Offline Vwjap

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 15 March 2021, 11:41 »
Yeah if you get the same model battery you only need to change the serial number so the car knows it’s new, maybe ask around your area see if anyone will program it for you, I gave my spare away, but I still have gen1 and 2 in the car, so if around hertfordshire your welcome to get it coded

I've had my car a year and still haven't got around to picking up an OBD11 yet. I was hoping it will drop in price but I missed out on grabbing one on BlackFriday. Was going to get the gen 2 as I have an iPhone but do have old Android phones around the house. Plan A is disabling the fake engine sounds but then I'm worried I'll want a RacingLine intake and then it'll be a money spiral from there aha
gen 2 works on both android and iOS, but android can do a few more bits (like clear CSM)

Offline mustard

• Here all the time
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: 15 March 2021, 15:32 »
I bought an AGM battery from Amazon, £125 (now gone up to £143), the dealer quoted me £247 for a replacement EFB battery. Fitted and coded it myself, but I have got VCDS that I bought some while ago/