Author Topic: Door mirror, the painted cover, how do you remove it and refit it?  (Read 25191 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Door mirror painted cover, how do you remove it?

How do you get to the indicator?
« Last Edit: 03 August 2010, 17:53 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline mike.

• I live here
Here is the workshop procedure..

1. Remove Mirror Glass

Protect edge of housing from paint damage using fabric-reinforced adhesive tape, for example.
-   Press bottom of mirror glass -1- into mirror housing -3-.
-   Push mirror glass -1- using assembly lever -80-200- in -direction of arrow a- off of bracket -2- and housing -3-.
-   Swivel mirror glass -1- to side -direction of arrow b- and detach connector contacts -4- for mirror heating on back of mirror glass -1-.

2. Remove Frame

-  Remove bolts -2-.
-  Release locking hooks -arrows a- from mirror housing using a screwdriver.
-  Lever out locking mechanism -arrows b- from underneath using a screwdriver.
-  Raise frame -1- on side using assembly lever -80-200-.
-  Remove frame -1-.

3. Frame Continued

- Lever out locking mechanism -arrows a- on mirror housing -1- from underneath using a screwdriver.
- Push together detent hooks -arrows b- and remove mirror housing -1- from turn signal -2-.

4. Removing Side turn Signal and entry light

Removing entry light in exterior mirror

-   Push entry light in exterior mirror -3- out of turn signal -1- in -direction of arrow-.
-   Pull bulb holder -4- out of entry light in exterior mirror -3-.

Removing turn signal
-   Detach connector -2- from turn signal -1-.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2012, 22:03 by mike. »
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Thanks
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline GlennQuagmire

• Not said much yet
Mark: Where did you get those excellent workshop procedures? It doesn't look like Elsawin or is it something else?
Got MSN also if u need to contact me

Offline mike.

• I live here
Just got them out of Elsawin   :smiley:
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline mike.

• I live here
Video here as well Snoopy if that helps..

Youtube Video

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
Thanks for the info Mike.

I parked the car a foot over to the right last week as I wanted to get the ladders out over the weekend to clean the windows. I've just backed it out of the garage and I forgot so it clipped the mirror and the cover flirted off and its broken one and split the other of the retaining clips, stupid flimsy $hit. The part number on the label says 5K0 857 538 D5Q - £28.30
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Thanks for the info Mike.
I parked the car a foot over to the right last week as I wanted to get the ladders out over the weekend to clean the windows. I've just backed it out of the garage and I forgot so it clipped the mirror and the cover flirted off and its broken one and split the other of the retaining clips, stupid flimsy $hit. The part number on the label says 5K0 857 538 D5Q - £28.30

Should have:
(1) Got folding mirrors.
(2) Employed a window cleaner.
(3) Gone to Specsavers.

Sorry to hear about this.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Should have:
(1) Got folding mirrors.
(3) Gone to Specsavers.

1) Makes very little difference to the width.
2) So they can see whats in the house were you hide your keys and so rob you and steal your car.
3) Stuff happens, i distroyed a door in the winter, and someone here has had how many repairs to their GTI now :wink:

Keith sorry to hear this at least its a quick fix and not a side of the car. I would much rather hit a mirror than the side.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Should have:
(1) Got folding mirrors.
(3) Gone to Specsavers.
1) Makes very little difference to the width.
2) So they can see whats in the house were you hide your keys and so rob you and steal your car.
3) Stuff happens, i distroyed a door in the winter, and someone here has had how many repairs to their GTI now :wink:
Keith sorry to hear this at least its a quick fix and not a side of the car. I would much rather hit a mirror than the side.

(1) Oh yes it does.
(2) Draw your blinds and let them only do the outside. The maid does the inside.
(3) Cheeky!

:tongue: :kiss:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP