Author Topic: Door mirror, the painted cover, how do you remove it and refit it?  (Read 25191 times)

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
I know this is an old thread but how come your pictures have been removed Mike?
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline mike.

• I live here
I hosted the pictures on my web space and at the moment I am having arguments with the hosting agent.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Hopefully have them back in a few days.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline ScottA

• I live here
I just tried to do this and broke my drivers side mirror glass!

Offline R32DXT

• Just got here
I did exactly the same when I tried to lever the glass out on the passenger side one, there's a definite knack and not one I possess for sure
Previous Cars
Mk2 GTI 8v (x2), MK2 GTI 16v (x3), Mk3 VR6 (x2), MK4 GTI, MK5 GTI, MK5 R32, MK6 GT TSI 160, Audi 8P S3

Plus Lancia Integrale 16v, E30 BMW 323i, BMW E30 M3 (x2), BMW E46 330D, Porsche 911SC, Renault Alpine GTA and quite a lot of sensible stuff

Current Cars
MK6 Golf R, Audi TT TDI

Offline ScottA

• I live here
I did exactly the same when I tried to lever the glass out on the passenger side one, there's a definite knack and not one I possess for sure

I might attempt the passenger one tomorrow - but I would rather not replace 2 mirrors!

Offline mike.

• I live here
Pictures back up again, the "HOW TO" HERE gives a bit more detail on removing the glass.
Mk6 GTI 3dr | DSG | Tornado Red | 18" Monza 2 | LED Xenons | RNS510 | Bluetooth | Smoked LED tails | Cruise | Reversing Camera | TPMS | - now sold :(

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
Hi guys,
Some fool clipped my drivers mirror the other day. I thought I'd gotten away with no damage, but alas no! My indicator lens is slightly damaged... Weird, it's the tiny little bit of the lens on the inside of the mirror housing that you can see from inside the car that broke off, the force of the hit must have forced it to snap.

Anyway it's mainly a minor cosmetic issue, but there's a hole now where it should be covered so I reckon water will eventually mess up the lens!

I managed to take the mirror apart. Really easy, followed the excellent instructions here, glass pops off easy enough. Here's the damage:

My qustion is, is the following all one part? I couldnt see any way of separating the indicator lens from the black plastic bottom. It seems to be plastic welded on, didn't see any screws or clips! And if it is one piece, does anyone have a part number and a rough cost??

I might replace the yellowy puddle lights with LED ones while I'm at it  :smiley:

EDIT! Looks like I'm right, it is all one part, see here - http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/parts_search_page/60/2011/GOLF6C

Part num is 5K0 949 102

« Last Edit: 02 May 2012, 23:22 by JoeGTI »
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Keithuk

• I live here
My tell tail broke of mine when it fell out I tried super glue but it wouldn't take. I don't recall it allowing water into the indicator there is no hole there.
2010 Golf GTD (170) CBBB, 5 Door, Shadow Blue (P6/D5Q), Flat Tyre Indicator, Basic Protection Pack + VCDS.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
My tell tail broke of mine when it fell out I tried super glue but it wouldn't take. I don't recall it allowing water into the indicator there is no hole there.

I tried super glue too. Didn't work either! There's definitely a hole in mine, I've covered it with clear tape for now. I'll get the replacement part at some stage, no rush.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline WHITEY20

• GTI forum regular
  • Love my new Golf
Great tips, cheers Mike. Going to try myslef and hope not to break the glass  :tongue:

DSG, 18", P/A+cam, Winter/P, Lux/P, Dynaudio, FTI, Bi-Xenons