Author Topic: Stu.750 - 16v 750 championship GTI  (Read 4487 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Stu.750 - 16v 750 championship GTI
« on: 14 April 2008, 23:07 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Stu.750

• I live here
  • MMMMMMM Rust my favourite
Re: Stu.750 - 16v 750 championship GTI
« Reply #1 on: 14 April 2008, 23:50 »
So here we go - Many of you will have seen the MK2 Golf that i picked up from Hampshire in the Dub rides section. I bought it without looking at it and drive the 200+ miles to collect it. When i got there i wasnt disapointed , ok so it was tatty , and had moss growing on it and smelt a bit funny on the inside But it is VERY solid , apart from the passenger wing.

What does prepairing the car entail - Well first off i started with Regulations , 9 pages of the can and cant does regarding the preperation and modification of the car (http://www.750mc.co.uk/images/uploaded/Golf-GTI-2008-regs.pdf)

The first thing i notised was that for this season all "big bumper" cars and all "small bumper" cars had to be just that , no hybrid big bumpers on small bumper side trim ect - Bit of a bummer as  the car i have has big bumpers and , you guessed it small bumper side trim.

Im aiming to have this car ready for the end of this season , or more realistically the beggining of the next

So My TO DO LIST

Find small bumpers Sorted
Find 4 headlight grill done
Replace M3 crystal lights replaced with half tints
Find 16v lower splitter
Replace N/S wing
Remove interior im good at this bit
Replace Electric mirrors for manual done
Replace Electric windows for manual done
Remove Central Locking and done
Remove and plate sunroof hole
Remove sound deadning
Remove exhaust system sold
Rebuild front suspension and polybush
Delete Power steering
Rebuild Rear beam
Rebuild braking system
Rebuild 16v engine
Have roll cage fitted
Fit engine cut off
Fit Fire extinguisher
Fit Race seat
Fit harness
Fit additional gauges
Fit new steering wheel
Paint
Have vehicle weighed and Corner weighted
Rolling road tune and set up
Testing and Livery

Im sure this list will grow and grow and grow as i remember things ive not put on it

I managed to find another 16 engine on ebay so i bought that and an engine stand and set about taking it apart

The bores look pretty good , the regulationa allow up to 1mm over bore but the price of +1mm pistons is through the roof so it will be getting a hone and some new rings and put back together

the crank bearing have picked up on numbers 1 and 3 there are wear marks in the shells but not on the crank , ill have this reground and new bearings fitted , the top end looks ok but as a matter of course ill be replacing the cam bearings , the valve stem oil seals and the cam followers

The rules allow for a control camshaft , but having read various reports it seems the the power gains are negligable so i might try and get hold of some standard cams and have these checked and stamped by the organisors , this along with a Kent cam vernier pulley will be my top end.