Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 54402 times)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #70 on: 15 April 2016, 20:49 »
Sorry bud. It was what my phone decided the spelling was.  :laugh:

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
« Reply #71 on: 15 April 2016, 20:51 »
Research the tunners.
Carbon
Darkside development
Dervtech
Ryhso
Map-tech
R-tech

All know there stuff.
Choose whos closest, price affordability and go for it.
Doing it yourself leaves you f**ked. But if a tuner mucks it up atleast they have the know how to sort it. (ilunless you do then I retract what I have said)

By the time you've bought the map and the MMPS then you're not far off the price of an actual remap lol

Have a look at local forums and ask friends etc who have had their cars mapped for recommendations  :smiley:

not a lot of options available in Cornwall, I don't want to brick my car thats for sure, and to be honest, I have VCDS and dont know how to utilise that so for being able to unbrick it, well, I wouldnt know where to start :(

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #72 on: 15 April 2016, 21:05 »
I dont know of any down that way.
But as said local forum/friends who have mapped cars.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #73 on: 15 April 2016, 21:08 »
I dont know of any down that way.
But as said local forum/friends who have mapped cars.

none of my friends have had good experiences with maps, which is why I was looking at the generic ones. cant seem to find people on the VW forums from this way, yet there are hundreds of VW driving around

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #74 on: 15 April 2016, 21:13 »
Well sort the car. Save some pennies and have a word with who ever takes your fancy and arrange a day.
Rhyso is probally the closest.. Without google maps thats a guess. And my geography isnt great.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #75 on: 15 April 2016, 21:16 »
Well sort the car. Save some pennies and have a word with who ever takes your fancy and arrange a day.
Rhyso is probally the closest.. Without google maps thats a guess. And my geography isnt great.

Yeh will find out where I stand on Monday, all going well won't be much longer til I'm up and running again. Cam, Timing Belt, Auxiliary Belt and Water Pump next on my list to do to be safe, then see how car runs, I'm just thinking from past experience the car will be great, for a few months, then I will want more, so always planning on how much its gunna cost  :evil:

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #76 on: 15 April 2016, 21:43 »
Always the way mate.
Itll be fine once the cutting out is sorted

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #77 on: 15 April 2016, 21:53 »
Always the way mate.
Itll be fine once the cutting out is sorted

Yeh thats my number 1 priority, but cant help think ahead, really hope its just the crank sensor as thats a nice easy fix, then get some miles under my belt and see what needs improving on it, anything is going to be better than the Mitsi Carisma I have now for both speed and handling lol

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #78 on: 16 April 2016, 19:58 »
From another forum I'm on:

My girlfriends got a MK4 Golf GTI 2.0 but has had some problems recently.

It kept starting to cut out while driving, but then coming back to life displaying the "emissions workshop" message. Eventually it cut out and would not restart.

I go and give her a tow home, bring it home and use the starter to bring it onto the drive and it fires up into life - weird.

Took it for a quick spin an hour later, all seemed normal, ran ok. Left it idling for 5 mins and then it cut out. This happened a few times.

Idles ok when running, but it does smell a bit... exhaust fumey for want of a better word.

When cranking the tacho always moves which suggests the crankshaft sensor is ok?

Plugged in my ScanGauge but it couldn't detect any faults.

Thoughts on a postcard - otherwise it's going to the garage on Tuesday.

Garage took a look and cleaned the throttle body, didn't fix it and they were a bit stuck.

I bought a VAGCOM and it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor. Fitted this morning and it hasn't cut out yet. Fingers crossed.

Looking hopeful mine is just a simple crank sensor :)

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #79 on: 16 April 2016, 20:01 »
Thata on here aswell. Was just reading it. Soon time to retire the carisma