Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 54379 times)

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #50 on: 13 April 2016, 22:54 »
Not off hand. But you can pick aasorted o rings up cheap enough.

No shouldn't think so.
Battery in fob dead.
Door latch/boot latch
Comfort control module (I think that runs central locking on mk4)

Problem is you question yourself, well I do.
Youll kick yourself, if its crank sensor.

Yeh question myself all the time, especially as I have done any work on cars for years, used to have vauxhals as they were easy to fix/upgrade.

Drivers door works fine on fob, so battery is 99% rules out I think.... the thing that is puzzling me most is, it unlocks fine with key (2 turns) and button on drivers door, so, does this mean there are 3 circuits on the locking modules, 1 for key, 1 for key fob and 1 for button in car, if so this seems a bit silly and over complicated, if not, then why is it working with 2 out of the 3?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #51 on: 13 April 2016, 23:02 »
Rules out ccm as that would.stop it working the boot button.

Has your fob got a seperate boot button?

Could be the fob faulty.

Key is sort of the manual if all else fails way.
Then the fob does the same job but sent to a reciever first.
Could be sentral locking fuse maybe (unlikely but heard of stranger things)

And the unlock button/boot button again does the same but sends power to the locks. So rule the locks out.

Gotta be fob/ reciever

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #52 on: 13 April 2016, 23:04 »
Rules out ccm as that would.stop it working the boot button.

Has your fob got a seperate boot button?

Could be the fob faulty.

Key is sort of the manual if all else fails way.
Then the fob does the same job but sent to a reciever first.
Could be sentral locking fuse maybe (unlikely but heard of stranger things)

And the unlock button/boot button again does the same but sends power to the locks. So rule the locks out.

Gotta be fob/ reciever

nope only a 2 button fob. When you press the unlock button twice the locks make a noise, just nothing happens, but it locks using the fob, which again, makes it weird if the fob/sensor was an issue how can it receive the signal to lock? all far too technical for my head to get around

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #53 on: 13 April 2016, 23:10 »
Thats my thought process. Could be the reciever not recognising that you have already unlocked the car, there for just trying to unlock the drivers door again.

If you are stood next to pas door can you here it try unlocking?

Vagcom will discover the problem.
Should be able to recode the fob/ check reciever ect

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #54 on: 13 April 2016, 23:14 »
Thats my thought process. Could be the reciever not recognising that you have already unlocked the car, there for just trying to unlock the drivers door again.

If you are stood next to pas door can you here it try unlocking?

Vagcom will discover the problem.
Should be able to recode the fob/ check reciever ect

yeh you can definitely hear it trying to unlock, and from memory I think the door pin even jumps a little bit too. Car is locked away now until the 18th so can't do any checks until then, which is why im trying to gather as much info early so that any minor jobs I can quickly do/check before it goes into diagnostics center to save time/money, and possibly a false diagnostic as they stop on something thats only part of the problem not the total problem, or I just forget a vital piece of information that makes their diagnostic easier and more accurate.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #55 on: 13 April 2016, 23:19 »
Hmm. Wip the door card of and unlock the car from inside. So you can see what the rod is doing. Or isnt.
I dont know the wiring but id say that the internal unlock button and key fob run the same door loom.

So unlock with for (may have said that already) while in the car to see whats going on behind the door.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #56 on: 13 April 2016, 23:24 »
ok, will do a quick VCDS before it goes in, mention it to them and if still not working or an answer when I get it back will whip off the door card and see. is annoying more than anything as it worked fine for a few days and all the other methods of unlocking are working fine so seems odd. might also replace the fob battery to be safe (wont need recoding will it?), what size battery do they take?

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #57 on: 13 April 2016, 23:45 »
Another quick question, is there any way to find out what BHP the car is running other than booking it in for a RR session?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #58 on: 14 April 2016, 08:51 »
Not really.
Unless you know someone with the same golf so you can gauge if its the same power

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #59 on: 14 April 2016, 10:00 »
Not really.
Unless you know someone with the same golf so you can gauge if its the same power

Ah ok, just been reading about rolling roads and apparently they can be very inaccurate so a bit weary about shelling out money on fudged figures.

About the key fob battery, changing it wont mean re-coding will it?