Author Topic: Bought my first mk4 golf  (Read 53897 times)

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
  • 2003 Golf MK4 GTTDI ARL (PD150)
Re: Bought my first mk4 golf
« Reply #40 on: 12 April 2016, 20:05 »
Both should be fine. If you went filter to tandem pump with clear, youd see if air was there. Also clear to the filter would tell you if the air is coming from further back.

so maybe get 1m and just replace it all, at least until its been diagnosed and the problem is cured? will see whats definitely going on then, well apart from the plastic parts that go to the fuel tank

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #41 on: 12 April 2016, 20:12 »
My bet would be the air (if its in there) will be filter to tandem pump. But youll see with see through piping mate

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #42 on: 12 April 2016, 20:23 »
My bet would be the air (if its in there) will be filter to tandem pump. But youll see with see through piping mate

Where is the tandem pump located?

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #43 on: 12 April 2016, 21:56 »
On the engine. Run by the cam. So gearbox side

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #44 on: 13 April 2016, 20:46 »
On the engine. Run by the cam. So gearbox side

ok thanks.

As Monday is getting closer trying to make a checklist of the issues I have noticed, I'm sure I'm missing bits which is why if I start now might remember before Monday. So far I have got:

·         Struggles to start first time but after that starts fine
·         Drives fine the judders until eventually stalling, will not start for approx. 20-30mins, fuel does not seem to be pumping during this time
·         Hissing from fuel filter area
·         Engine rattle
·         Excessive engine movement*
·         Inter-cooler leaking**
·         Passenger door and boot not unlocking on key fob
·         Low MPG from TRIP
·         Fuel Gauge not working correctly***

* Might just be normal but to me seems excessive
** Looks like there is, or has been, liquid coming from joints going into/out of inter-cooler
*** Although it has gone up a little bit, nowhere near as much as I would expect after adding two plastic cans of diesel to what was already just under half a tank

Also they have said they should be able to enable MTE as long as my cluster supports it. Are there any other features that I should look into getting enabled/disabled, well as long as the issue with it not running isn't terminal, whilst its there?

Sorry for all the posts, just want to be 100% prepared for Monday, I'm sure they will do a complete diagnostic anyway, but the pessimist in me thinks they might find one issue, find the solution and assume that's all it was so want to be sure in my head I arm them with as much information as I can.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #45 on: 13 April 2016, 21:44 »
On the door boot thing do they all unlock on the key in the drivers door.
Check the internal electric boot lock.
Also passenger lock. As its all together.

Intercooler leaking, is that from what I describe as the stupid clips vw use.

Not too many posts. Better to find/fix a problem yourself other than use a garage if possible.

Its a shame your not closer as fault findingis difficult when reading whats wrong and not being able to go through it yourself

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #46 on: 13 April 2016, 22:07 »
On the door boot thing do they all unlock on the key in the drivers door.
Check the internal electric boot lock.
Also passenger lock. As its all together.

Intercooler leaking, is that from what I describe as the stupid clips vw use.

Not too many posts. Better to find/fix a problem yourself other than use a garage if possible.

Its a shame your not closer as fault findingis difficult when reading whats wrong and not being able to go through it yourself

Yeh both the boot and passenger door unlock fine with the key in drivers door when you turn it twice (lock on boot is seized key wont turn, or they have fitted a different barrel not sure which) and with the button inside the car, it worked fine when I first got it but stopped within a few days.

The intercooler leak is where the hoses go into the actual intercooler on both sides, not looked into it as main priority is getting the car to actually run for longer than a few miles lol but there is definitely something around those joins, not sure if its still leaking or is from a previous leak, but as its in for an hour of diagnosing, I want them to check any little things as I'm sure the issue of not running wont take them long, my money is on crank sensor and/or air in the system.

Where is the internal electric boot lock is that the button on the drivers door?

Yeh being in Cornwall there isn't many people around to help, and most local garages are a waste of space unfortunately, they just replace parts until it eventually works.

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #47 on: 13 April 2016, 22:36 »
Cornwalls only down the road...

In the boot lid its self but it id not say it was that. Altgough could still be if door and boot went at same time.

Crank sensor could be on the money.
Thats what I think my passat is, never lists a code as mines that intermittent.

I find that common practice with a lot of garages is replace until its solved. Doesnt help when a customer has to front the bill for parts not needed.

Offline paradisiac82

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #48 on: 13 April 2016, 22:42 »
Cornwalls only down the road...

In the boot lid its self but it id not say it was that. Altgough could still be if door and boot went at same time.

Crank sensor could be on the money.
Thats what I think my passat is, never lists a code as mines that intermittent.

I find that common practice with a lot of garages is replace until its solved. Doesnt help when a customer has to front the bill for parts not needed.

Yeh its annoying both the boot and passenger don't work as it doesn't really narrow it down, although would a faulty passenger lock module stop the boot from unlocking also?

I think so far between the previous owner and me we have already replaced all the leading contenders, the only thing left really is the crank sensor, kind of wish I had started with that and left the fuel filter (as the previous owner had already replaced that) but I was certain the hissing noise meant air was getting in and that was the issue.

Do you know what size O' Rings are on the filter T-Piece? I have read getting some slightly thicker ones might stop the hissing as it sounds like its coming from there

Offline lemski

• Forum addict
  • 16v
« Reply #49 on: 13 April 2016, 22:48 »
Not off hand. But you can pick aasorted o rings up cheap enough.

No shouldn't think so.
Battery in fob dead.
Door latch/boot latch
Comfort control module (I think that runs central locking on mk4)

Problem is you question yourself, well I do.
Youll kick yourself, if its crank sensor.