Author Topic: Best Golf R or CS Discounts  (Read 12296 times)

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
Re: Best Golf R or CS Discounts
« Reply #50 on: 04 April 2021, 12:02 »
but how hot is hot?

It won’t need much more pace but it will need to shed a lot of weight to be a credible driver’s car. 1725 kg- that’s SUV mass.
And as these cars become increasingly autonomous, I have no idea where the thrills will come from.
It’ll be like Alton Towers on the road.

I think all cars are getting that way, ICE or EV.

There's not a lot of thrills to be had in hot hatches, especially in the Golf segment - that's the price of refinement and being far quicker than they feel.- 2 to 4 seconds of in gear acceleration and you're in license losing territory. DSG or EV and high levels of driver assistance mean it's all point and shoot "playstation" driving. I found my MK7 Rquite dull below 5k revs with your foot to the floor. 300ps and no drama at all when you use it.

I don't want a car to kill me, but I want it to feel like it could if I do something stupid. I suppose it's all part of ego and feeling there's some level of accomplishment in driving skillfully...that's all gone in recent cars.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #51 on: 04 April 2021, 13:11 »
Thanks for that Ado :afro:
Being as the current ID.3s are non sporty models it sounds very positive.
A 4wd version with appropriate sport trim would probably be a winner going from your feedback.

The interior pre-conditioning is something that really appeals to me about EV’s as I work shifts so a warm interior at 4:30am in the depths of winter sounds heavenly!  :smiley:

I think with battery tech improving we will see EVs getting lighter with range remaining at 250-300 miles, hopefully it means more agility. Even with both the TCR and ID3 on Bridgestone the TCR still seems to give more feedback but the ID3 feels more balanced, not that it makes a big difference in 90% of daily driving.

I’ve been driving the TCR more these few days and it just feels more special, however the OD3 definitely is so much nicer for city driving with such linear power delivery and no bogging down. I also had to fill up the TCR (last time was Jan), it just seems like such a chore having to plan my route to a petrol station after work  when I just wanted to go home.

Overall I would use the TCR for longer trips such as the weekend but for commutes the ID3 is the winner, if I had to sell one though the the ID3 will be staying as much as I love the TCR it’s just too compromised for day to day use.

I realise there will be more charges as times goes on but ultimately our aim to to reduce on our car usage so i guess it would probably balance out.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #52 on: 04 April 2021, 13:15 »
but how hot is hot?

It won’t need much more pace but it will need to shed a lot of weight to be a credible driver’s car. 1725 kg- that’s SUV mass.
And as these cars become increasingly autonomous, I have no idea where the thrills will come from.
It’ll be like Alton Towers on the road.

I think all cars are getting that way, ICE or EV.

There's not a lot of thrills to be had in hot hatches, especially in the Golf segment - that's the price of refinement and being far quicker than they feel.- 2 to 4 seconds of in gear acceleration and you're in license losing territory. DSG or EV and high levels of driver assistance mean it's all point and shoot "playstation" driving. I found my MK7 Rquite dull below 5k revs with your foot to the floor. 300ps and no drama at all when you use it.

I don't want a car to kill me, but I want it to feel like it could if I do something stupid. I suppose it's all part of ego and feeling there's some level of accomplishment in driving skillfully...that's all gone in recent cars.

I agree with you, the only time I get a thrill from driving is on track (which I seem to have fallen out of love with). It’s simply not possible to use the performance of a golf on the road without entering the license loading territory.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #53 on: 04 April 2021, 17:01 »
the TCR it’s just too compromised for day to day use.

Hi Ado, would you mind elaborating on that please? I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely interested as to how a simple car like a Golf can't be a great daily driver, I thought that was what they were for. Mine is but then I've never had an EV so no frame of reference. Cheers :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #54 on: 04 April 2021, 18:09 »
TCR is a perfect daily driver, not entirely sure how it can't be 🤷‍♂️
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #55 on: 04 April 2021, 18:27 »

Hi Ado, would you mind elaborating on that please? I'm not being argumentative, I'm genuinely interested as to how a simple car like a Golf can't be a great daily driver, I thought that was what they were for. Mine is but then I've never had an EV so no frame of reference. Cheers :smiley:

I'm guessing Ado meant you can't drive it to anywhere near it's potential without losing your license.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Rudedog

• Here all the time
« Reply #56 on: 04 April 2021, 19:45 »
To me the Golf still is very usable ca for daily use where ever I go.... EVs are big! even the ID3 is quite a bit wider than a Golf, and don't get me started on some of the massive Tesla's which are almost Range Rover size, parking spaces haven't changed and the number of EVs I've seen that can just squeeze into a space with both wheels are on the white lines confirms I won't be changing any time soon.

2019 Golf GTi PP DSG, Isaac Blue.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #57 on: 04 April 2021, 20:35 »
I guess most eV's are big because the battery packs need to be big and people buying expensive cars want to have a massive thing.

Hopefully eventually something other than an electric block of flats on wheels will come along...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Ado

• Not said much yet
« Reply #58 on: 05 April 2021, 13:26 »

Maybe compromised is the wrong choice of word, compared to the T Cross 1.0 the TCR is the perfect all rounder since it has space and power. I guess the TCR isn’t compromised, but compared to the ID3 which accelerates so smoothly with no wheel spin and it automatically regens depending on road layout and traffic ahead. I guess what I really mean is the ID3 takes the “driving” out of driving which is really just perfect for commuting and like Monkeyhangar says the golf really only excels when in the upper ranges.

I will still take the TCR when visiting in laws in France but for me electric is the way forward unless it’s a special car.
TCR Ordered 10/06/19

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #59 on: 06 April 2021, 07:31 »
The Golf R only really excels in the upper ranges because it's so boring to drive  :whistle:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.