Author Topic: Best Golf R or CS Discounts  (Read 12022 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Best Golf R or CS Discounts
« Reply #40 on: 03 April 2021, 16:41 »
The mk8 uses bs s005's
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #41 on: 03 April 2021, 17:38 »
Ado: Your slight lack of confidence in the Winter...Do you have Bridgestone tyres per chance?

My incoming ID3 is on 18" East Derry wheels (couldn't bear to be on steel wheels, too tight to pay £1200+ for 19s or 20s). Apparently it's pretty likely that all wheel sizes have Bridgestones according to the EV forums. My opinion of Bridgestones is rock bottom, as Fred will know well! I usually swap them out at the first opportunity, but I'm guessing these ID3 tyres sizes are pretty niche and will be relatively expensive as a result. I'll be hoping for  Goodyear on mine.
they don't appear to use S001s any more and the brand new Bridgestone Sport tyre is supposedly better than Michelin, Conti and Goodyear. Tyrereviews will have a comparison video soon.

Chris,

I don't think they'll be Potenzas on the ID3, the tyre size is 215/55 R18, 19s come on 215/50 R19 and 20s come on 215/45 R20 - no low profiles, if it is Bridgestones, more likely to be Turanza T005 Touring tyres than anything sporty. I can confirm that Turanzas are crap (the Polo GTIs came on them).

There's ID3s coming through on Bridgestones, Conti 6 and Goodyears, but mainly Bridgestones.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Online Aidey

• Here all the time
« Reply #42 on: 03 April 2021, 17:56 »

For the longer journeys we'll still have the Polo GTI+, which will probably become a 3k miles a year ornament. I'm in half a mind to get it sold and buy a banger for my 1 day a week commute.

Would you consider the Up gti instead of a banger?
Owner Mk8 ClubSport
Sold Mk8 Golf R....
Sold Gti DSG 2020 Performance Indium Grey .....
Gti Sold... ClubSport Edition 40 , ... Sold Aug 2018....

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #43 on: 03 April 2021, 19:05 »
Next gen evs with solid state batteries will be with us in next 5-10 years and will be much better than even the current Tesla / ID3/4 etc. Which is why my next car will still be an ICE. Link below re vw, Toyota also doing the same

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/08/quantumscape-building-electric-car-battery-that-charges-to-80percent-in-15-minutes.html

The discussion about usable power and everyday fun, plus fact likely to be last ICE and peak GTI is currently what’s putting me in two minds between a manual gti 245 or a CS - if I get the gti will i always feel like I should have got the CS despite the extra cost.... my 200bhp mk6 gti never let me down but the pull of the CS is there

« Last Edit: 03 April 2021, 19:10 by Kenis »
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #44 on: 03 April 2021, 19:22 »
I still say that the my22 onwards cars with speedy restriction will change a lot of opinions about what is the best choice...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #45 on: 03 April 2021, 22:55 »

Wholeheartedly disagree. And I think this is exactly the design brief for a hot hatch- everyday transport that’s enjoyable to drive.
Two problems with EVs in this respect is 1. Power doesn’t build and 2. They make no noise.
Both issues limit their use as “ fun” cars.
Thirdly they’re heavy, though I expect that will improve

Those are pretty much my thoughts too.
An EV has a nice low centre of gravity and the wheels can be pushed right out to the corners.
With modular chassis’ it’s easily possible to make hot hatch versions of regular EVs same as with ICE cars, but there’s also always the possibility of making lower coupe versions with the improved aerodynamics of lower rooflines and smaller frontal areas to keep a modicum of range offsetting the greater power potential (the high power theoretically sapping range if using a smaller lighter battery).

The lack of noise wouldn’t bother me, in fact I quite like the idea of having something different noise wise being emitted in keeping with the futuristic power plants.
The instant power of EVs would make for great hot hatches so long as you don’t want 150mph capability. I’d happily swap ultimate top speed for acceleration out of bends.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #46 on: 04 April 2021, 09:47 »
It seems that it wouldn't take much to make a hot ID3, just slap a bigger motor in (or an induction motor in on the front axle, and to hell with the range, but how hot is hot?

The 204PS Pro Performance seems to be on a par with a GTD, despite being about 400kg heavier.

To get an electric equivalent of an R, batteries definitely need to get smaller, lighter and cheaper, to get more in on a single car...and they will.

There's lots of new tech being touted (smaller, more energy dense battery cells that don't use rare earth metals, smaller motors that don't need permanent magnet), but most of that tech is at least 6 years away from going into commercial production from University invention.

Hopefully, by 2030 we'll see 350ps 4WD EVs that weigh 1400kg and have a realistic range of 400 miles for your £35-40k. The VW ID3/4 motor is already small enough to fit in a sports bag and weighs 90kg.

Still not sure how the Government is going to claw back all that money back lost to EVs in lieu of petrol/diesel VAT and duty. You could:-

1. Scrap that duty and VAT, and treat fuels like red diesel is currently and make everyone pay through the nose on toll roads.

2. Keep ICE cars filling and paying as normal, and make EVs pay per mile with ANPR/Black box.

The trouble is, you need to get everyone to want an EV, and right now the financials only make sense if you can charge at home (ideally on an EV specific 5p/kWh overnight tariff) and save big vs the pumps.

That's fine for those of us with off street parking, but for those that can't, they'll be paying diesel prices per mile on a 40-50p per kWh rapid charger- you'll end paying more than current ICE prices if you have tolls to pay for on top.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #47 on: 04 April 2021, 10:00 »
I think they have already decided on how to tackle the tax issue. The only question mark is when to introduce it.

They are going to scrap fuel duty and use mileage based tax using some sort of electronic data. It's partly why the crack down on number plate fonts has just happened.

The only questions are :

1) is the tracking mechanism a black box or cameras. Black boxes are more accurate but have massive privacy issues.

2) do electric vehicles pay the same rate as ice ones? If its about pollution control then not but its probably more about tax revenue, especially right now.

3) if you are now recording actual road travel, will there be differences between rural areas and urban ones. Rural dwellers do more miles than city dwellers and you now have the ability to offer them a break.

One thing is absolutely clear, the days of eV being a cheaper motoring option are coming to an end. They will definitely end up as expensive if not more so than the days of ice.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #48 on: 04 April 2021, 10:57 »

One thing is absolutely clear, the days of eV being a cheaper motoring option are coming to an end. They will definitely end up as expensive if not more so than the days of ice.

That's why I'm giving it a go now. Seems to be the sweet spot of :

1. EVs starting to come down to ICE pricing with better access to decent discounts. Any fuelling savings were being eaten up by paying more vs the ICE equivalent in the first place.

2. Access to cheap fuelling if you can park on your own property.

3. No VED. It doesn't take an exceptional car to attract the luxury VED with the inflated RRPs.

It's going to be a 2 tier ownership for cars for the foreseeable unless we get a nationalised infrastructure of plentiful and cheap EV charging.

When they do bring pay per mile driving in, those living in a flat aren't going to give up ICE cars to be stung for high charging prices and then pay per mile on top.

Taxation is definitely about revenue masquerading as environmental concerns. Once everyone is "clean" driving and we have virtually free clean electricity with our windfarm network (according to Boris' vision), there's a huge tax hole to be filled.
« Last Edit: 04 April 2021, 11:03 by monkeyhanger »

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #49 on: 04 April 2021, 11:13 »
but how hot is hot?

It won’t need much more pace but it will need to shed a lot of weight to be a credible driver’s car. 1725 kg- that’s SUV mass.
And as these cars become increasingly autonomous, I have no idea where the thrills will come from.
It’ll be like Alton Towers on the road.

2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.