Author Topic: What is everyones most driving mode setting. Eco, Comfort, Sport or Individual  (Read 7070 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Usually individual.

DCC set to the middle, engine noise set to Eco (to kill fake noise) and the rest set to comfort.

Unless I fancy some corner chopping action and just drop it into sport mode and hang off the VAQ like Rossi going round a corner  :cool:

Ha Ha Fred made me laughs that hang of the VAQ 😂. Fred when your are in those individual
 settings and flick the gear paddle into sport does it just give you essentially all the same settings if you were to select sport as driver mode. Just a quicker way to access ?

I've been pondering that very question. Its weird because the settings on the Mk7 were slightly different - you had gearbox, engine and VAQ settings. "Engine" was basically a throttle mapping.

On the Mk8 you don't have this quite the same.

When you select "engine sport" the gearbox also goes into S mode.

Also (and this is a follow on about the question earlier about what happens if you restart the car in sport mode) it says in the manual:

Behaviour of the Drive vehicle system when the ignition is switched off and on

The settings of the Drive vehicle system are reset to the settings of the Comfort driving profile as soon as you switch the ignition off and on again.

You can switch the Drive vehicle system to the settings of the desired driving profile again:

Select the desired driving profile again.

OR: to activate the settings in the Sport driving profile again, move the selector lever of the automatic gearbox back to the S position.

I think when you flick the chicken nugget to S it sets the engine (aka throttle) and gearbox to S.

What I don't really understand is that on a non-DCC car you have "chasis" settings - normal or sport. These are NOT suspension settings, they are VAQ ones. On a DCC car, you don't have that - you have the 17 settings of DCC. I wonder just how the VAQ is set across these....

The mechanic training manuals would be really interesting to read.... on the Mk7 I learnt loads about it from those - things explained which the user guide doesn't properly explain and I don't even mean how to fix it, I just mean how it works from an operational viewpoint!
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
Usually individual.

DCC set to the middle, engine noise set to Eco (to kill fake noise) and the rest set to comfort.

Unless I fancy some corner chopping action and just drop it into sport mode and hang off the VAQ like Rossi going round a corner  :cool:

Ha Ha Fred made me laughs that hang of the VAQ 😂. Fred when your are in those individual
 settings and flick the gear paddle into sport does it just give you essentially all the same settings if you were to select sport as driver mode. Just a quicker way to access ?

I've been pondering that very question. Its weird because the settings on the Mk7 were slightly different - you had gearbox, engine and VAQ settings. "Engine" was basically a throttle mapping.

On the Mk8 you don't have this quite the same.

When you select "engine sport" the gearbox also goes into S mode.

Also (and this is a follow on about the question earlier about what happens if you restart the car in sport mode) it says in the manual:

Behaviour of the Drive vehicle system when the ignition is switched off and on

The settings of the Drive vehicle system are reset to the settings of the Comfort driving profile as soon as you switch the ignition off and on again.

You can switch the Drive vehicle system to the settings of the desired driving profile again:

Select the desired driving profile again.

OR: to activate the settings in the Sport driving profile again, move the selector lever of the automatic gearbox back to the S position.

I think when you flick the chicken nugget to S it sets the engine (aka throttle) and gearbox to S.

What I don't really understand is that on a non-DCC car you have "chasis" settings - normal or sport. These are NOT suspension settings, they are VAQ ones. On a DCC car, you don't have that - you have the 17 settings of DCC. I wonder just how the VAQ is set across these....

The mechanic training manuals would be really interesting to read.... on the Mk7 I learnt loads about it from those - things explained which the user guide doesn't properly explain and I don't even mean how to fix it, I just mean how it works from an operational viewpoint!

That's why I said in a earlier post Fred, some video is saying the chassis settings on the GTI without the DCC is just part of the software on screen, apparently whichever setting it is in it makes no difference what so ever but how true this is I don't know and this was coming from someone at VW

This nugget thing has got me confused that doesn't take much 😂. So even if you set the driving mode to Sport which shows S then click the nug it changes to sport normal, but what exactly is sport normal, just keeps the steering and reduces torque or throttle. I'm confused. Ha

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
If you are in comfort and D... Flicking the chicken nugget to S is the equivalent of the engine mode from Sport.

It will have the same getup and go and gear changes.

That's not quite the same as selecting sport profile but in the most obvious ways it is.

As for non dcc chassis mode selection not doing anything, i remember we talked about it on here but can't remember the details. Didn't think it was pointless?
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
I would have thought the chassis would change but not according to this VW guy, but I wouldn't believe everything they say 😂, And I got you about the flick of the switch, I just wondered what the change was if you changed to sport profile that changes the nugget to sport anyway but then flick it again and it's normal just D sport. Wondered if the D calmed things down even though still in sport mode.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
I think i tried that before, don't think it does anything.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
I think i tried that before, don't think it does anything.

I might just go individual to comfort like you Fred then just hit the switch when need too, I'm find it too addictive on these sunny days putting my foot flat to the floor 😂. I need to stop

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
I tend to just switch between Comfort and Sport, using the Mode button.  If I am using Sport at around 30-40, I will use flappy-paddles to take it beyond 3rd gear.  Above that speed, I let the box do it's thing.  If I am in comfort and need a quick injection of GTI juice, I will flick the bean.

It has to be said that, due to doing a lot of my driving during the early morning or late at night, I love the ambient light setting that changes the colour depending on which mode I am in, so that has probably influenced the way I use it.  I think that, if it wasn't for that, I would use Individual with red lights set.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
I’ve also been enjoying a bit of bean flicking. It’s by far the easiest way to make the car purr.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
I tend to just switch between Comfort and Sport, using the Mode button.  If I am using Sport at around 30-40, I will use flappy-paddles to take it beyond 3rd gear.  Above that speed, I let the box do it's thing.  If I am in comfort and need a quick injection of GTI juice, I will flick the bean.

It has to be said that, due to doing a lot of my driving during the early morning or late at night, I love the ambient light setting that changes the colour depending on which mode I am in, so that has probably influenced the way I use it.  I think that, if it wasn't for that, I would use Individual with red lights set.

I think the car looks amazing at night with the lighting I must admit, I actually had the green colour the other night and it looked great. I've just left my individual as everything in sport apart from the engine noise that I have set to Eco to take away the fake engine sound and hear the real engine a bit more clearly. Engine was warm early tonight with it being a warm day and seemed to be getting more pops from the exhaust. Also noticed again on a warm day my inform system never feels laggy.

Offline Si_Telford

• GTI forum regular
I’ve also been enjoying a bit of bean flicking. It’s by far the easiest way to make the car purr.

My friend does a lot of motorway and has his in Eco and enjoys flicking the bean from that into sport 😂