Author Topic: caddyrage - mk1 gti  (Read 42565 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
caddyrage - mk1 gti
« on: 22 January 2007, 13:29 »
:)
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
Re: caddyrage - mk1 gti
« Reply #1 on: 22 January 2007, 15:09 »
Right, here ya go then. The start of my budget gti thread.
I took ownership of the gti 14/1/07 for the sum of £280 and that included it being delivered from Reading.
Non runner since last feb, obviously no mot or tax.
Bored to 1.9, bilstein suspension, janspeed exhaust, rear disk conversion.
Took a gamble on it as i only see 2 mobile phone pic's before it turned up and just thought, if its a wreck i'll break it.
These are the first pic's before i touched it.

Soon as i took the pic's i got to work on trying to get it running.
Turned key, nothing. So i disconnected the immoboliser then launched it to the wheely bin. Reconnected a red wire at the fuse box that was split for the alarm then turned key again. This time she turned over on the starter but dint fire :sad:. Following morning i used the g/f's ibiza to see if it would jump start, guess what? She did she did woohoo! my face had the biggest  :grin: on it i tell ya. Anyway once i calmed down i decided to wash the inch of dust off, remove the front bumper, windscreen spats and stuck my black steels on to find out it also has the audi 256mm front brakes aswell, bonus or what!.
The spoiler as now been removed also as i've got a cl version on order.
On closer inspection to the bodywork, both wings need replacing(got genuine vgc one's for £45), tailgate replacing(have vgc spare from a 5dr i broke) and needs the hole in the wheel well patching up. Apart from that it looks rock solid and a very good base to restore.
Last friday i stuck a brand new £50 exide battery on it and replaced the plugs for nearly new one's that came from my old caddy engine. She then fired up on her own. Could'nt resist a spin it so i did and bloody hell it goes!!. Anyway i've rambled on for my 1st post on budget gti so i'll save the rest for the next 1 :smiley:
« Last Edit: 06 June 2007, 15:28 by caddyrage »
03 ibiza PD 130 sport, smiles per miles!
83 mk1 golf gti, 16v 2L PL
92 mk1 caddy, now stripped for resto

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK
cambridgeshire vw owners club

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2007, 10:51 »
Due to me working on my caddy to hopefully get her back on the tarmac, i have'nt done much to the golf :sad:. I have been collecting bits for her though :smiley:. I won the auction on a pair of mars red doors for the massive sum of 5 quid!. I had to collect them from bedford but its only an hour drive away. When i got there, i could'nt believe how good the doors looked. The seller also offered me a kent cam and pulley for 30 quid :shocked:. I ripped his arm off, best 35 quid i've spent in a long time :laugh:
I also won the auction on an audi 5 pot throttle body for 20 quid delivered so i'am well pleased with that after that polished 1 went for 70!. Need the audi warm up reg to match though if anyone has 1.
Other bits i now have is..... a cl spoiler and the rear cards.
Should think with addition of the engine parts, i should see a tidy bhp increase :cool:
Maybe i should just trailer her to the pod :wink:

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2007, 09:17 »
Just thought i'd post up some pic's of the parts i've accumilated :smiley: And the little i've done to the car.
Set of cookie cutters. gunna have these sprayed white and polish the lip

Porsche recliners. Can get more pairs of these that need  retrimming(You'll prob do that anyways)for £40, PM me

The engine upgrades, Kent cam and pulley, audi 5 pot throttle body and WUR

I recently broke a gti so i used the shell to chuck my scrap in so in went the old tailgate which i replaced with a mint jobbie i had from a diesel 5 door i broke and then followed the removal of the wings....

Was well surprised at how good the front inner arches are, no sign of peeling underseal or rot, only abit of rust at the bottom of the A pillers on both sides where the water traps. Easy job that :wink:
As you can see in the tailgate pic, i also been using the car as storage space for interior bits an bobs. Seats and carpets in there.
Hopefully i can either get her in mine or my folks garage soon so i can do some prep work as i really getting eager to get her repainted, cant wait infact  :smiley:

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 06 June 2007, 15:50 »
Well i have'nt been upto much with the golf as i been mucking about with caddy's the past month or 2. I bought myself this lovely solid diesel caddy which i started doing my own touches to including fitting my audi wheels from my gti caddy that i eventually sold.

Here's how she is at the mo

Also did this with a spare tailgate that i'm gunna use daily, have a brand new 1 along with a passenger door being painted for shows etc
before

after

Also have some other bits to go in, raddo seats which i want retimming along with doorcards, gti carpet, centre console, small rear chrome number plates lights. prob other things aswell.
As you can tell, i'm spending my time and money on the caddy so unfortunately i believe i'll be breaking the golf and transfering the running gear to this caddy maybe in the winter.

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 07 December 2009, 17:31 »
Thought i'd have a browse on the forum looking at mk1 golf projects when i spotted this old thread by myself. Been bloody ages since i last posted on here.

Well just to update then.

The mk1 golf i started the thread with eventually got sold after i stripped it of the goodie bits. The new owner planned to turn it into a track car but then the muppet scrapped it  :angry:

I still have my caddy pictured above though

few pic's of it

Also used it as my wedding car in april 09

I did treat it to a 16v kr before swapping again for 16v 9a

I've now stripped the caddy for a full resto rebuild

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 07 December 2009, 17:40 »
I knew i was taking the caddy off the road so to keep the old skool fun, i sold my daily tdi caddyvan and searched for a non sunroof model mk1 gti

my old daily van

My new daily gti  :cool:

pic of it with the previous owner

it was bog standard apart from weitec suspension

1 week later, i had it mot'd and taxed then the moddin started

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 07 December 2009, 17:46 »
Few pic's of how it is now

I going to be dropping the 16v 9a engine and 2Y gearbox in from my caddy but using a 50mm rocco 16v inlet instead

Just looking for an exhaust system to suit before i start the swap.

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2009, 19:11 »
Well it would've be rude not to go out and get some snowy pic's  :)

This morning

Bit later on when i brushed the snow off

Oh yeah, and here's some of the parts going onto the car

oh and by caddy parts emporium

Starting the 16v swap on monday  :cool: 

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK

Offline caddyrage

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #9 on: 21 December 2009, 19:24 »
Started the 16v conversion this morning :)

Here's a few pic's

Empty engine bay

9A 2L 16v from out my caddy

Fitted Poly steering rack bushes, Alloy taped the rack boot, fitted 16v servo and 22mm M/C then dropped the engine and box in

Should'nt be far off from getting it done tommorrow.  :cool:

Planning on using the original Gti loom and just connecting up the ECU part of the 16v loom this time.

WWW.FENDUBBERS.CO.UK