Author Topic: Yet another thing. Window motor!  (Read 1944 times)

Offline Kus

• Here all the time
Yet another thing. Window motor!
« on: 17 December 2011, 21:52 »
Yep it's broke doesnt go up or down. Least it hasn't dropped. Is it a ball ache to fix as the window is behind the door skin..

Offline GunnerCP

• I live here
Re: Yet another thing. Window motor!
« Reply #1 on: 17 December 2011, 21:54 »
Sure it's the motor and not the clips or spool of cable?

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #2 on: 17 December 2011, 22:32 »
Sounds like the door clips not the motor, it was an item that mk4's were recalled on if the broke.

My personal advice is don't buy the clip repair kits, I went through two, a right pain to fit and it was a temporary fix for me on both occasions for some reason, even my mechanic said they are a pain and he has had 50/50 results with them. Just buy a complete new runner panel for that door, think they are about £90, and easy to fit.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2011, 22:34 »
window would have droped if it was one of them.

its not a hard job to do, its just a ball ache having to undo all the bolts on the regulator panel ect. had to do mine last year in the snow which was a blag. give it a go though, no point in paying vw to do it, should only take a hour

Offline mcgee9t2

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2011, 22:35 »
Sounds like the door clips not the motor, it was an item that mk4's were recalled on if the broke.

My personal advice is don't buy the clip repair kits, I went through two, a right pain to fit and it was a temporary fix for me on both occasions for some reason, even my mechanic said they are a pain and he has had 50/50 results with them. Just buy a complete new runner panel for that door, think they are about £90, and easy to fit.

did you get the clips from vw? the new clips are metal no plastic which is what failed on the old clips, cant see them snapping in a hurry....

also they arent hard to fix, once you have the regulator pannel of they just clip on, whats the point in spending £90 on a regulator pannel when it takes 5 mins extra to unclip the old ones and put the new ones on the runners and save your self 50 quid, the bain bulk of time when doing it is taking the door card and regulator pannel off, the replacement of the clips is only 5 or ten mins or it was with me
« Last Edit: 17 December 2011, 22:38 by mcgee9t2 »

Offline GTI.T

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2011, 22:43 »
I cant undo my drivers side front and rear as i think the plastic clip has gone if you open the window it drops and the i have to drive home 10 mile freezing me bits off     lol  so is all i need is the new clip or could i just gripfill them in place  lmao

Offline Kus

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2011, 23:02 »
I'l take the door card off tomorrow see what the deal is cheers lads

Offline GunnerCP

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2011, 06:55 »
window would have droped if it was one of them.

its not a hard job to do, its just a ball ache having to undo all the bolts on the regulator panel ect. had to do mine last year in the snow which was a blag. give it a go though, no point in paying vw to do it, should only take a hour
Potentially, but if he just tried the window without physically trying to move the glass then the window could just about be held up by the seals (as happened in mine, clips etc went down but window stayed fully closed) although if you're driving I'm sure it wouldn't stay like that for long!

Offline golf-sib

• I live here
  • Турботазик
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2011, 10:34 »

did you get the clips from vw? the new clips are metal no plastic which is what failed on the old clips, cant see them snapping in a hurry....

also they arent hard to fix, once you have the regulator pannel of they just clip on, whats the point in spending £90 on a regulator pannel when it takes 5 mins extra to unclip the old ones and put the new ones on the runners and save your self 50 quid, the bain bulk of time when doing it is taking the door card and regulator pannel off, the replacement of the clips is only 5 or ten mins or it was with me

Once you know what you are doing door and panel are quick. I did get the new metal clip ones in my situation, but when putting new clips and harness on, get them to cross over and make sure its tensioned and leveled, I found a few days later where the metal wires are in the rollers the wire would get tangles and seized when it shouldn't which is the problem I had twice. I used the uk-mk4 guide and the vwvortex guide and I couldn't work out why it was doing it, after all that hassle I just bough a new panel with metal runners on.

Audi TT - K04 TFSI Hybrid - 325BHP
VW Golf - k03 AGU - 200BHP

1.8T AGU..
R135
╚╬╬╝

My Chinese Bike project: http://xtrsproject.wordpress.com/

Offline bullzeye

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2011, 12:58 »
this happened to me i didnt buy a complete pannel tho they sell a window regulator kit with the wires and that already in place you bolt it on cost £35 been great ever since

cheapest mobile provider arround order a free sim with £5 credit www.giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/s3cr3t