Author Topic: Paint on wing to a-pillar edge + door post  (Read 19598 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Paint on wing to a-pillar edge + door post
« on: 02 April 2010, 14:28 »
Heres mine, please post pictures of yours for comparison.
Thank you
Geoff  :cry:

A-pillar blue paint only goes halfway to the edge of the wing edge.
Also not all way down the apillar odd.

Back of the front wings in the door jam area below the wing crease are grey
Note: the blue is mainly reflections

Front wheel arches behind and in the strut turret are grey

Boot floor (interior), why are some of my hooks blue at the seat side of the boot and some are grey at the back of the boot makes no sense.
Note the sound damping pads and grommits are black were other cars i have seen there coloured by body coloured paint

Note: How my back panel in the below photo of the boot is white again with unpainted seam sealer in view. compared to the grey boot floor  :undecided:

Under the back of the car. Around the boot area, note the car only has 100 miles on in 99% dry conditions mainly white or grey with only slight hints of blue overspray in places

Rear wheel arches (i think i spot a hint of blue overspray at last :grin: )

« Last Edit: 10 February 2011, 22:28 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Hartside

• I live here
Stop worrying about something you cannot do anything about  :smiley:

Just get out there and get some serious driving done - go and enjoy your new car, it's a car some people can only dream about!  :cool:
Carbon Grey 5dr GTI

Offline Captain Sensible

• GTI forum regular
Stop worrying about something you cannot do anything about  :smiley:

Just get out there and get some serious driving done - go and enjoy your new car, it's a car some people can only dream about!  :cool:
I don't know I am quite shocked at what I am seeing. Is the first pictures the A pillers and is that a joint where it looks blue/green ?
Somehow it does not look right to me. Snoopy have you been to a dealer to look at Golfs in the show room. I have no idea how the other bits a are supposed to look
Your paying a premium price for a GTI so you expect a finished quality product.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2010, 16:31 by Captain Sensible »
On Order Golf GTI 5 Door Manual - Pearl Black - 18' Vision Alloys - Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Tyers - Sunroof - Xenon Lights - Touch Screen Cd Player With Dyneaudio amp and speakers - Folding Wing Mirrors - Dealer Fit - Steel VW kick plates - Front And Rear Mud Flaps - Sill boot protector - Boot liner - 3 year Service Plan - Carpet Matts With GTI Logo And Red Pipping.

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
OK, Snoopy, I just went down to the garage to have a look at my car for you. First the 'good' news: my boot floor and other interior parts are just sprayed in primer like yours. Bad news: it looks as if your exterior body panels were painted by some guy on work experience, because the paint on my panels goes right round the 'corners'. From the outside, there are no visible signs of any primer or paint fade anywhere. Sorry mate, but at least you know now. If I were you, I'd take it back and reject the car while you still can. Any respraying at this stage is just going to be a botched job.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
FroGTI,
I did look at two GTDs in the same colour as yours outside my local dealer yesterday and there a-pillars were similar to mine just not quite as bad but not far off. Were the edge of the wing folds in theres a lip. This lip the body coloured paint only extends to around 75% its length, or in the case of mine ~50% Its only a very narrow lip. It does also seem the gap/fit of the wings to a-pillar varie wildly.  This paint issue was visable on the two GTDs and also a light gray 58 plate R32, a couple of others in non metallics this did not seem to effect or it may have been the light/fit i could not see it. (Mk6s are in short supply in the UK i had to goto two dealers to see these) I was also getting funny looks and parked in a bad place so i could not stay at this dealer too long for fear for my GTI.
I basically need to know if these paint points in my photos above, if this is the norm or not.
If it is, well i will just have to put up with it. If its a bad batch or something then thats a different matter. VW dealers from experience will just fob me off so i need the facts and info before i go and ask.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2010, 16:23 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline sundaydriver

• I live here
Snoopy, i was just the same as you with my red GTI, i hated the thought i had spent £22k on a brand new car and something was wrong with the paint. In the end and 1 month down the line it was rejected and they gave me a brand new white one. :wink:

2012 Golf R, APR STAGE 2+, BCS power valve TB exhaust, loba HPFP, evoms intake, Rising blue, 19" Talladegas -BMW M2

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
All my visible curves are fully covered in Tornado Red paint. Thankfully, I have no obvious grey bits, just a few hidden pink ones. :wink:
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
am1w, fancy taking a few photos of said a-pillars and boot floor for me?

Sundaydriver, I understand, im worried this is the norm now though after seeing another similar to mine in a showroom and the rest of the paint on mine is spotless more or less.
« Last Edit: 02 April 2010, 17:29 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline am1w

• Serious forum addict
Snoopy:
I will get a camera and do my best to oblige.
I will also pop into my dealer showroom and look at a few cars.
RED TORNADO 7R, 5 DR, DSG, DCC, DNS, DYNAUDIO, KI, WP, HBA, LN, SP

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
Snoopy my paint at the gap of the A pillar is all complete as far as I can see. Although my gap appears a lot smaller than yours but this might just be because of the colour.

My boot is much the same as yours with very little paint and even then it is just overspray.

The end of my front wing viewed when the front door is open only has primer on it it.

I haven't paid any attention to the engine compartment but if the rest of the car is anything to go by I would imagine they would have been as sparse with the paint in there.

Yeah its annoying but to be honest I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Enjoy the great car you have.
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14