Author Topic: knock when setting off from stand still and from 1st to 2nd gear. FIXED NOW  (Read 3312 times)

Offline jay26

• Not said much yet
new to vw's and this forum so hello to all.

right i have had my golf now for two months and when i got it had a slight knock from what seemed like the left hand side when setting off . so looking round the car my mate (hulmie) was with me and he noticed the the rear bush in the left hand side wishbone was on its way out and that could be what was causing the noise. we thought at worst it would be dog mount causing the noise  .
so with the car being near mint apart from this i took it home . i fitted a new wishbone and also fitted powerflex bush to the front and rear of the dog mount but it was still the same.                                                                         

since owning the car i have noticed that it will knock from what sounds like the left hand side once when setting off from stand still and once from 1st to 2nd gear and if i leave it in second gear and accelerate then let off and accelerate again it will do it each time i put my foot down .but it wont do this in any other gears . but this morning when i reversed turning left it kept  knocking like its a cv joint or something as im not fully letting the clutch out .so  would this be  worn cv joints / flywheel with too much play in it or engine mount problem ? car has done  95k has good service history .stamps are from dealers too

any help / advice would be great
« Last Edit: 14 October 2013, 17:12 by jay26 »

Offline jay26

• Not said much yet
no one ?

Offline gazareth

• I live here
you need to jack it up and go over it with a fine tooth comb. check everything that moves. also if you get it on an mot brake tester and get someone to listen by the wheel while the brakes been applied it may show something up.

Offline notenoughtime

• GTI forum regular
Poss engine mount, cv, etc as stated get it up in the air and check everything, get a pry bar and see what's loose

Offline jay26

• Not said much yet
you need to jack it up and go over it with a fine tooth comb. check everything that moves. also if you get it on an mot brake tester and get someone to listen by the wheel while the brakes been applied it may show something up.

seems like the best option with the brake tester thanks

Offline jay26

• Not said much yet
Poss engine mount, cv, etc as stated get it up in the air and check everything, get a pry bar and see what's loose

I was thinking the same parts or bearing

Offline jay26

• Not said much yet
cheers for the help all sorted now , i hope  :smiley:

Offline notenoughtime

• GTI forum regular
What was the problem?

Offline jay26

• Not said much yet
this was the cause in the end