Author Topic: making your own boot build  (Read 11206 times)

Offline Guy

• Forum addict
Re: making your own boot build
« Reply #10 on: 27 February 2008, 23:33 »
that link is awesome, cheers guy. If i can make some sense of it and see if can get the "ingredients" and i will have a go. My m8 will probably give me a hand. If it goes well, he will probs do it to his Leon.

The 10" box sounds interesting. Is it completed finished with carpet? - and also - Is it just a box or a custom made box to fit perfectly in the boot, like the one in the link?

Cheers m8

LL ;)

it's a complete finished stealthbox... they are only made to order and the likelihood of him getting another order in for a mk3 stealthbox for a 10" sub is minimal - so you might have some bargaining power

I have actually seen the box (i was offered it and rejected it as I ordered a 12" box) and it is pretty stealthy... and very well made...

http://www.auto-acoustics.co.uk/index.asp?function=DISPLAYPRODUCT&productid=310

not sure what is going on with auto acoustics though as they take ages to make stuff!

so you can weigh up the cost of time and materials vs buying a box from that bloke

auto acoustics also do carpet, finishes and materials etc that you will need for custom builds yourself

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #11 on: 27 February 2008, 23:37 »
I'm part way there with mine :cool:

Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #12 on: 28 February 2008, 00:10 »
i have emailed auto acoustics and asked about the mk3 stealthbox they might have spare.

how much you reckon i could get it for?

Although, it looks good fun doing itself. And when you've finished, you get that sense of achievement; when your m8's ask, you can say - "I did it all by myself"  B)

:laugh:

If i can get it cheap, il get it.

Cheers for your help,

LL ;)

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #13 on: 28 February 2008, 00:57 »
ok read through the guide again, got a few questions:

-Where can you get the ingredients (polyester mix and catalyst/fibreglass wool/polyester stucco) ????
-I dont understand step 11-13. The baffle is the mdf board, right? Does this sit on top of fibreglass structure or just inside?
-Why do you need to measure volume?

Cheers all, I think if I can understand this, I will give it a go.

I'm really tired now, good night!

LL ;)

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
  • MK4 2.0 GTi 8v in black (the best colour)
« Reply #14 on: 28 February 2008, 08:27 »
Chris 'N' Jen - like the boot install!

Where did you get the carpet from? Is it actual golf boot carpet or just new carpet from carpet store?

More questions :laugh:

Did you custom build that from mdf?

I was thinking of putting a sub on one side and an amp on the other, 6x9 in the parcel shelf. Just need time and money ...

LL ;)

Hi mate

the carpet is halfords acoustic carpet and the build is with mdf so unfortunately it weighs a bit. couldnt b arsed messing with fibre and i just wanted a simple but affective setup that i could bolt things down so theiving barstewards cant nik it.

If your running a sub you dont want 6x9s too as the sub can damage the 6x9's amongst other reasons. if you want sound in the back get some 17cm comps or coax. much better quality. some people advise against though. i however think it sounds better.

:smiley:

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #15 on: 28 February 2008, 10:47 »
ok read through the guide again, got a few questions:

-Where can you get the ingredients (polyester mix and catalyst/fibreglass wool/polyester stucco) ????
-I dont understand step 11-13. The baffle is the mdf board, right? Does this sit on top of fibreglass structure or just inside?
-Why do you need to measure volume?

Cheers all, I think if I can understand this, I will give it a go.

I'm really tired now, good night!

LL ;)

you need to measure volume in order to have it the right size for the sub you are using if volume isnt right it will sound pap

Offline LazyLunatic

• Forum addict
  • MK3 20VT Project
« Reply #16 on: 28 February 2008, 12:45 »
Cheers!

I think I will give it a try at least, just need the "ingredients" (B&Q?) and time (which I'm sure I can find!)

LL ;)

Offline russ-vdub

• I live here
  • Once a Dub, Always a Dub
« Reply #17 on: 28 February 2008, 15:31 »
this thread was well hi-jacked by lazy lol. linz if you want something like the pic you posted i'd seriously have a proper think if its worth the hassle. the amount of things that could go wrong doing that unexperienced is long. imo it aint about how many watts you have, but how it sounds when your proper cranking it. i know sooo many people that worried more bout the looks then the quality of sound, at the end of it their systems never rinsed. i had a simple full boot install in my old pug which was built around a pefectly match sub box and it owned my mates systems. 12" type x, done ;)

Offline Chris 'N' Jen

• Here all the time
  • MK4 2.0 GTi 8v in black (the best colour)
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2008, 15:48 »
The truth is spoken.

Most of those builds are done for looks not sound.  :smiley:

Offline linz

• I live here
  • vee-dub
« Reply #19 on: 29 February 2008, 11:42 »
this thread was well hi-jacked by lazy lol. linz if you want something like the pic you posted i'd seriously have a proper think if its worth the hassle. the amount of things that could go wrong doing that unexperienced is long. imo it aint about how many watts you have, but how it sounds when your proper cranking it. i know sooo many people that worried more bout the looks then the quality of sound, at the end of it their systems never rinsed. i had a simple full boot install in my old pug which was built around a pefectly match sub box and it owned my mates systems. 12" type x, done ;)

yh im willing to risk it though i have ideas in my head i think however so i dont have to worry about volumes i am going tomake it around the curent box - as i he 2 x 15" subs and then in the rest i may encorporate other things

thing is if i dont try i wont ever no :)