Author Topic: hi guys, new owner....  (Read 2669 times)

Offline fram

• Not said much yet
hi guys, new owner....
« on: 21 August 2004, 05:15 »
hi guys,
             Well I am the proud new owner of a 1987 5 door Golf gti 8v, my first one, and I havent even driven it yet!! When me and a friend went to pick it up it had a flat battery, we got a jump start to get it going and then my mate jumped in it and we headed for home, of course we had to stop to put petrol in it and guess what? she wouldnt start again, eventually we got her going with a push start and off we went again, the front tyre blew out on the busiest stretch of road on the way home, hazards on at the side of the road, my nipper screaming his nuts off in the back off my mondeo estate, we discover that the jack is some half assed contraption that we cant fit to the car, the previous owner is a welder and has put stainless sills on the car, minus jacking points it would seem!! eventually get the car jacked up and get the spare wheel out of the boot, its a brand new space saver type wheel, so new in fact that it hadnt even been pumped up, so off to the garage I go to get it pumped, leaving my mate at the side of the road, not forgetting of course that the battery is flat as a pancake, so no hazards lights, and its now starting to get dark!! The local garage is of course closed, so I have to go halfway into to town to get the tyre pumped up. Returning to the the golf with the now inflated tyre we fit and try to start the golf thinking that it has a bit of charge in the battery now it may start off the ignition....nope, and after about half an hour of trying to push start her with no luck, we eventually admit defeat and ring another mate to come get us with some jump leads, when he turns up she starts sweet as anything and we eventually limp home.....!!
I have bought the car as a resto project, which although completely clueless in the old mechanical department I am going to have a try at most of the things myself, so will probably be a major pain in the arse asking all sorts of stupid questions, so let me apologise in advance if I appear thick...its probably cos I am!!!
                                                          Cheers guys
                                                                          Fram

Offline Slimmedmk2

• I live here
  • Slammedmk2`s Back!
Re: hi guys, new owner....
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2004, 08:16 »
Hello,and welcome to the site.Sounds like you have had a great start to golf ownership ;)Never mind,it can only get better

Offline dubslug

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 21 August 2004, 09:50 »
welcome to the site, ask as many questions as u need to i do. enjoy ur dub

1992 pearl grey 8v

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #3 on: 21 August 2004, 12:17 »
What an intro to the life of the Dubber!! At least when you finish the resto you can stand back proudly and know what it was you started with, annd the that you have done it yourself.
Welcome to the Site, Fram. Sure there will be plenty of advice given from other members if you need it. We are a pretty welcoming bunch in here.
Ads
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Dinky

« Reply #4 on: 21 August 2004, 15:43 »

Welcome to the forum Fram.
There r sum v knowledgable people on here,all friendly so ask away!Mind ul hav to keep us updated! ;D

Enjoy ur dub! ;D

Diane x