Author Topic: Newbie - advice please  (Read 1070 times)

Offline bagpuss

• Not said much yet
Newbie - advice please
« on: 29 October 2016, 11:25 »
Hello Guys

I have been looking to buy a mk6 GTI but recently found out about the cam chain tensioner issue and it has put me off a bit, trouble is i do not really like anything else as much in the price range with the same practicality. Ive negotiated £500 off a car i like to go towards having the cam chain and tensioner replaced and after some ringing around locally had 2 prices for the work one at £600 and one at £750. My local VW dealer will not do the work at all unless it goes wrong - i suppose that would be an admission that there is an issue which they deny. The guys at £600 said they had seen the problem once and it was £2k to replace head etc, but advised i could leave it alone as it may never happen  :undecided: the other garages knew nothing off it, is it a small percentage of failures? Still not sure i could live with the possibility

Okay so other than that i have seen a Pirelli mk5 for sale which looks really nice but it is £11k - do you think that is a bit high? 73k 2008

I have owned an Ed30 before so know what the mk5 is about, but do still like the more modern look of the mk6 and the interior.

Anyway i am just rambling really any opinions welcome, car is mainly for the wife anyway and she will only moan when i drive it lol

Offline barrym381

• Forum addict
Re: Newbie - advice please
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2016, 16:55 »
Welcome  :smiley: stick a post up in the mk6 section asking the same question and there maybe a member selling his car that's had the problem sorted or a later version as I'm sure they were ok

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2016, 20:11 »
Look in its service history, call the garages its been to,  if its not been fixed then use that to beat the price down, mine failed when the car had only done 45000 miles before i got the car (there is an invoice for a new engine under warranty in the history).
If you don't know it has been sorted either it being a later car being sorted when new, with a new tensioner or engine you must assume it hasn't been sorted, its not worth the risk or inconvenience.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline bagpuss

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 30 October 2016, 10:49 »
Cheers guys, i have looked into the history and it seems it has not been done, negotiated £500 off, still undecided for the moment