Author Topic: Hello everyone - 1st time future golf owner (hopefully)  (Read 2512 times)

Offline paddy_da_pikey

• Just got here
Hello all,

I am looking to buy my first ever golf - my budget is around 5k and for this I believe I will be looking at a Mk 5 GTI 2.0 (im not too technical sorry)

I really like the look of the car but when searching online used car sites I have a few questions I will ask here but if there is a sub forum that is better maybe it could be moved there?

1) 17" alloys vs 18" alloys vs standard or diamond cut?
I found I really like the look of the larger wheel with the more shiny surface but seems less comon. Alot of ads for used cars say 18" but the wheel looks different on some cars? Why is this?

2) Colour schemes?
What are the best colours? I like Black and a very dark Grey like charcoal colour but I cant find the actual term to describe the exact colour I want as I believe there are numerous variables of grey and metalic or not

3) Leather interior appears to be a must - what are peoples thoughts on the checquered seats? Im not so keen?

4) Steering wheel - some steering wheels have nobs and buttons on them for controls in the GTI some are just plain. How do you know which one is which and why some have the buttons and others dont?

5) Paddle shift vs manual? - I really thought i would love this function and it would be fun and sporty like a driving simulator but have read many reviews saying not so fun, unreliable and expensive to fix?

Can someone finally answer this age old question and make my decision for me? haha

Ultimately I want

Mk5 GTI - Full leather interior - 5 door - Metalic Black / Metalic Dark Grey / Metalic Dark Blue - in good condition with full service history in either manual or paddle shift (not decided that part yet hopefully someone can advise on the fun and reliability factors)

Anyway thanks for welcoming me to your forum and I hope to be joining the Golf owners club soon.

Thank You

Dylan (im not actually a Pikey)

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
Re: Hello everyone - 1st time future golf owner (hopefully)
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2016, 11:30 »
Mk5 gti was available with the 17" and 18" monza wheels, the diamond cut "monza shadow" versions are the popular ones but diamond cut wheels aren't as durable/resistant to corrosion as the wheel face is only covered by clear lacquer which isn't as strong as paint so you need to look after them or get them refurbished, mine have been painted black and silver so they look diamond cut but are more durable.

The tartan seats in prefer to leather but I'm not keen on leather seats in general.

When looking for my gti is didn't consider the flappy paddle box  (dsg) as I like to feel more involved in everything the car does, and manual cars tend to be a little cheaper as dsg was a fairly expensive option.

I don't know about mk5 steering wheels as I've got a mk6 but I'd imagine that the steering wheel controls were just an option with which radio was installed

I'm not sure on the colour names but I can't see why you need to know that until you've bought one and just take it to a dealer and they'll tell you,so long as it's a colour you like, I'm not sure if it was on mk5s but my mk6 is carbon steel grey if that helps. Remember black is brilliant until it immediately becomes filthy seconds after being washed.

Me personally I'd look at full history cars only, the 18" monza shadow wheels in would want but they can be bought at a later date  (ebay), I wouldn't want leather but that's just my opinion and I'd want a manual. But I'm not you so get the one which makes you want it, remember the first one you go to see isn't and won't be the only one you'll be able to see so get a good one, keep it a good one and enjoy it.
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline paddy_da_pikey

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2016, 11:50 »
Hey,

Thanks so much for you input. I have since had a further conversation with a mechanic who advised the DSG you will just end up using it as an automatic and forgetting about the gears - i like control and so its manual im going for.

Im defo going for leather as I just think it looks slick and a hint of luxury to the car.

I found it is the metalic grey I want - I just think it is the nicest looking colour of that model, black was second and a very dark metalic blue 3rd.

I want it in a 5 door too and with the 18" Monza 2s - I dont mind if they are diamond cut or not.

Its very difficult in Northern Ireland as there is not a great deal of choice so finding the car you want can be tricky.

You will get colour, wheels, interior but 3 door - or Wheels Colour and 5 door but not leather. Its tough but I will take my time until I get the one I want with a warranty and FSH and look forward to joining the golf gti club as it really is a beutiful piece of engineering I still think the Mk5 holds its looks and within my budget.

Thanks again for your help if you know of any cars that fit the above bill id love to hear

Cheers

Offline The ANT

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2016, 13:59 »
If you can't find one in Ireland you could spend a week in the UK, luck at a few then take one home on the ferry, more hassle but more options/choice of cars (there's more fish in a bigger pond)
Suffering from a severe and unforgiving case of GTItis

Offline Tanuie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2016, 17:06 »
Hi, I had a similar problem with the golf i wanted, wish list was had to be auto, leather interior, three door 2008 mk five, only found three on auto trader and two of them were cloth seats, so the one with leather was down in Kent and as i live in Cambridgeshire it was a bit of a trek. Anyway i took the trip to Kent and as luck would have it all was OK, so now a proud owner of a GTI. It's a bit different from fourteen years of Mercedes ownership.
Good luck with your search.

Offline Archaeologist Fella

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2016, 21:19 »
Hey,

Thanks so much for you input. I have since had a further conversation with a mechanic who advised the DSG you will just end up using it as an automatic and forgetting about the gears - i like control and so its manual im going for.

Im defo going for leather as I just think it looks slick and a hint of luxury to the car.

I found it is the metalic grey I want - I just think it is the nicest looking colour of that model, black was second and a very dark metalic blue 3rd.

I want it in a 5 door too and with the 18" Monza 2s - I dont mind if they are diamond cut or not.

Its very difficult in Northern Ireland as there is not a great deal of choice so finding the car you want can be tricky.

You will get colour, wheels, interior but 3 door - or Wheels Colour and 5 door but not leather. Its tough but I will take my time until I get the one I want with a warranty and FSH and look forward to joining the golf gti club as it really is a beutiful piece of engineering I still think the Mk5 holds its looks and within my budget.

Thanks again for your help if you know of any cars that fit the above bill id love to hear

Cheers
Good luck with your hunt for a car.  I am in the process of purchasing a fairly standard 2.0 non-turbo Mk4, my first GTi, but a well maintained example....for my meagre budget of £1000!!

Offline Tanuie

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 02 September 2016, 09:10 »
Good luck with the hunt.

Offline Mike J

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 18 September 2016, 18:01 »
Find a car with full leather is a big ask.

I recently searched all around the UK and only found one.
Retro leather interiors are 2k, same price as the new orders but you get a greater range of colours.

Sorry to be the bearer of such info.

Offline Davred

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2016, 23:09 »
Definitely go for manual.  The dsg is a brill automatic box (ive  had two), but less involving and manual is much more in control of the car.
I've found that larger wheels,  although generally better looking will give a rougher ride.
Leather looks great but is freezing in winter unless theyre heated and too hot in summer. Cloth also grips you  better and stops you sliding around when you're hitting the bends!!
Black is definitely a no no unless you want to wash it every other day. Grey is good. (Got a mk6 carbon grey).
I'd be inclined to take a trip to dealers in Liverpool /Manchester where there's usually good choice and drive it back.