Author Topic: Rear Brake pads  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
Rear Brake pads
« on: 07 January 2019, 14:09 »
Not sure anyone has any experience....

It appears that you can change the rear brake pads on a GTi with the E handbrake without any plug in equipment.

Apparently you switch the handbrake off, remove the electric motor from behind the calliper, screw the thread in the motor clockwise, put aside and then continue as you would with a manual handbrake car (push pistons back/replace pads/put back together/pump brakes) and you are good to go!

There is a vid on Youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA9Sz8RndMo

Is this correct or are there any complications arising from doing it this way?

Thanks in advance

Offline Finglonga

• I live here
Re: Rear Brake pads
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2019, 15:35 »
Saw that earlier, idea is sound but could be very expensive if you damage anything or water gets in afterwards. I will be using my OBDEleven to be safe.

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 12 January 2019, 16:12 »
Someone questioned the hill start function on a old post in another forum, do you know if this could be adversely affected, assuming you got everything else right in the procedure without OBD???

Offline Golf_GT_TDI

• I live here
  • 2015 (65) Golf GTD, 2016 (66) Golf GTI
« Reply #3 on: 13 January 2019, 09:58 »
Just use obdeleven, then wind back pistons. If you don't have obdeleven then buying it for this job means you have invested in it for future jobs/tweaks. It is cheap compared to VCDS

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #4 on: 13 January 2019, 13:44 »
Ok. Don't shoot me down, old school lad here with no computer knowledge.

As I can make out this is the type of thing you are talking about https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OBDeleven-Android-Audi-VW-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Tool-OBD2-VAG-CAN-UDS-VAS-VCD-COM/273632042131?epid=1159491923&hash=item3fb5bd9c93:g:ct0AAOSwT5tWPk6K:rk:1:pf:0

So, paired to a app on my android, I can read faults, clear faults and (in this case) wind back the electronic handbrake motor????

Offline wantmygti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 14 January 2019, 08:30 »
That’s correct but I would advise buying direct from the OBD11 website rather than eBay.

The software has two ‘levels’ to it - a standard user can use the pre-programmed apps to tweak settings on the car and read faults. An advanced user (for an extra fee) can get right in to the coding and tweak unlimited settings, but there is probably a higher risk of error and issue if you get it wrong and don’t maintain a log of the changes.
2017 GTi Clubsport arrived June 2017
2007 Shadow Blue GTi, sold on after 10 years ownership

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 14 January 2019, 08:40 »
Good bit of kit. Literally the first thing I bought for the Golf.

Soundaktor - OFF!

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 14 January 2019, 14:34 »
That’s correct but I would advise buying direct from the OBD11 website rather than eBay.

The software has two ‘levels’ to it - a standard user can use the pre-programmed apps to tweak settings on the car and read faults. An advanced user (for an extra fee) can get right in to the coding and tweak unlimited settings, but there is probably a higher risk of error and issue if you get it wrong and don’t maintain a log of the changes.

Cheers for the info. Could you give me a link please...
« Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 14:37 by Lorddan »

Offline Ryan90GTI

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2019, 15:43 »

Offline Lorddan

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2019, 16:29 »
Cheers