Author Topic: Car violently shakes upon acceleration  (Read 1905 times)

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
Car violently shakes upon acceleration
« on: 20 April 2014, 19:48 »
Hey folks, come across this problem a couple of days ago, I am trying to replicate exactly when it happens, but generally speaking it tends to be most noticeable around 40mph, I do not have to put the pedal right down, but the best way to explain it, would be;

Drive along - put foot flat down the car will violently jerk forward for a second or so and then continue going normally, around 40mph -ish tends to be the most noticeable, although I believe it does it at a slightly higher speed also, gears are 3rd or 4th.

It's almost like someone has turned the ignition off mid-acceleration, then turned it back on again!

I have had the car taken for a VCDS scan, and no fault codes are showing.

It's a GTD with around 37k on the clock. Could it be the MAF sensor? Do these cars have the infamous issues that the earlier VW/SEAT's had with the MAF sensors? Faulty Glow plugs?

Perhaps it could be narrowed down by saying it's when the car is on boost (1700rpm ish) ?

Offline golfhappy

• I live here
Re: Car violently shakes upon acceleration
« Reply #1 on: 21 April 2014, 08:19 »
Try some fuel cleaner in your tank. Could be dirty injector.
Audi S1 gone, awaiting 1.5tsi r-line, pan roof, led lights front and rear, active dash, 18" jurva alloys and a dealer fitted Oettinger roof spoiler in tornado red.

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2014, 12:29 »
Tried that - problem seemed to go away (although it seemed to before I put that cleaner in) although resurfaced again a day or so later.

It is intermittent and doesn't seem to throw any fault codes at all, I am going to change the fuel filter and see if that helps  :sad:

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 05 May 2014, 22:48 »
Any ideas guys? I had the fuel filter changed, the problem seemed to go away for a few days, but I don't use the car *that* much and probably about 250 miles after fuel filter changed, it happened again, then didn't happen on a few drives at the weekend, but then came back again yesterday just gently cruising at around 55mph-60mph, as foot was pretty much stable on the pedal it chugged a bit, shook the car, then carried on as normal.

Today it did it, and I kept forcing it to try, and could pretty much do it each time, it happened around 1500RPM and the rev meter bounces slightly rather than staying put then carries on as normal. It's totally bizarre.
But the problem is, I cannot guarantee when it happens, so if I take it VW or a local garage they will just say it runs fine!  :shocked:

No error codes on VCDS

Could it still be a dirty injector?? Could it be a lambda problem? MAF sensor? It definitely seems like a fueling issue.

I checked under the bonnet at the weekend, popped off the glow plug wires, put them back on, checked the visible vac pipes for cracks nothing at all looked untoward, cleaned the airbox/filter.

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 05 May 2014, 22:55 »
Is it manual or dsg?
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

https://www.flickr.com/photos/booth11

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 05 May 2014, 22:56 »
It's a manual mate

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 05 May 2014, 23:02 »
Ok, only asked as in my experience dsg has been known to 'lurch' or exhibit jerky behaviour on occasion when driven in Sport mode.  Obviously irrelevant in this case.
Black Beauty: MK7 R 5dr DSG, DBP, 19" Pretoria, DCC, Vienna leather, Keyless, Dynaudio, DNS Pro, Rear camera, HBA
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline DaveyGTD

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 05 May 2014, 23:13 »
No worries, I just had a horrible though it could be DMF related... That would explain no error codes, but that's a nightmare scenario really...

Offline Booth11

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 05 May 2014, 23:48 »
No worries, I just had a horrible though it could be DMF related... That would explain no error codes, but that's a nightmare scenario really...

Hope not mate, not cheap!
2012 MK6 GTI DSG
2008 MK5 GTI DSG
2005 MK5 GTI Manual

Offline Stevie35

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 06 May 2014, 22:48 »
If it was the DMF the car wouldn't shake you would just get a rattling noise until the clutch is engaged. I have had 2 DMF fail on a gti and r32 so I could pretty much say it's mot that. I'd be looking at wheel alignment, wheel balance, engine and transmission mounts. If you get the wheels balanced ask to watch them do it and watch the wheel as it spins on the machine to see if the might have a slight buckle in the wheels could also be that, I've also had that before the wheels will still balance but it won't cure it 100%.
Edition 35 3dr, Steel Grey, Manual, Sat Nav